News Article: The Players Tribune: Pascal Dupuis ''In my blood'' (Read this -- seriously)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/in-my-blood/

Dupuis-Broken-Pull.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Great read.. Dupuis is an amazing individual the way he handled that. I think most people (myself included) probably would have freaked out.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
what in the ****, the absolute recklessness to play 5 games after physically feeling a blood clot in your chest

holy ****

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Part of me hopes he makes it back. He is a good guy. the other part of me is terrified that he is going to come back and be 50% of what he was before and basically eat cap space.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I’m 35. I know I don’t have much time left. But I’m getting out of that press box prison. I don’t care if it takes six months or a year or two years. I will get healthy. I will play in the National Hockey League again.

God bless. Great read.

Get well soon, Duper.

penguins2946*

Dupuis is going to have some sort of significant role on the Pens in the future. Maybe not a coaching job, but he's going to have something when he retires. He deserves it, he's a pure class act.

I really hope he comes back for next year tbh.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Jesus Duper...how are you so awesome, and so frustrating at the same time...

I honestly believe that Duper is the glue that holds this team together. I think they really miss him in the locker room. Like BADLY.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Honestly, some of that was so monumentally ****ing stupid it's astounding. That mentality and culture is some scary stuff.

I know some think that we should be admiring him for his dedication but I was thinking the exact same thing. Playing five games with a blood clot and hiding it from everyone is a really stupid thing to do and potentially fatal.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Reading that broke my heart. I understand loving the game, but man after hearing all of that, he really shouldn't play again. He needs to think of his family.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
God bless. Great read.

Get well soon, Duper.

HOLY CRAP! Great read. To echo shureshot, God bless, indeed -- and get well soon, indeed, Duper.

What a warrior (who needs to NOT be so stupid, in the future). There's playing through pain, and then there's putting your life at risk. I hope he's learned the difference...

Wow, I deeply respect his heart; hopefully he makes some better decisions in the future so I can respect his mind just as much!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This is the kind of thing that will probably make Duper a lot of friends around the league--and probably get him a lot of job offers when he does retire.

It makes hockey players look like...I don't even know what it makes them look like...warriors, maybe...it paints them in a really, really positive, human light. 14 could use some of that determination.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
What a total badass. Wish he'd tell the doctors sooner, but hard not to admire the guy, even if it was totally reckless and stupid.

Medical question for those who may know -- based on this read, did Dupers blood-clotting issues only come into fruition because of that bad collision w/ Sid? What I mean is, if that impact (and the first blood clot which followed) had never taken place, is he fine right now?

I guess it's just not clear to me if that incident is what made Dupers susceptible to blood clots, or if he already was susceptible on an inherent genetic level or w/e.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What an incredible read. You really feel for the guy. Seems like an incredibly determined individual.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
That's the most badass thing I've ever read.

But at the same time man, the guy's got 4 kids. His contract is guaranteed, and even if it wasn't, holy **** was that ever reckless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad