The Pittsburgher Thread: Where Tomlin tries his hardest to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I swear, Bengals fans are like Caps and Bruins fans.

They all ***** and moan about how “dirty” the Steelers/Pens are, yet totally justify the **** that their goons pull...

Are Bengals fans still salty about Palmer’s knee being shredded by Kimo? Hines on Rivers? JuJu de-cleating Burfict? Bell steamrolling Kirkpatrick several times? Oh, and losing so often to the Steelers???

If Burfict wants to make hard hits on actual football plays, I’m all for it. But he consistently pulls this cheap shot **** and after the whistle garbage.

I loved seeing Conner truck the shit out of Williams this past weekend. Absolute beast of a run.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
No

They will put a non exclusive tag on Bell this off-season. Which means he can talk to other teams and workout a deal and that team has to give the Steelers two 1st for him. If nobody bites, they can work on a trade. That's why I'm saying they could get two 1st, or just a 1st, or worse case scenario 2nd and some more picks.

It's said the Cardinals want a 1st or some 2's and 3's for Peterson. Why wouldn't the Steelers do this when they are going to get picks for Bell?

Where did you see that the Steelers are going to put a non exclusive tag on Bell?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
They will put a non exclusive tag on Bell this off-season. Which means he can talk to other teams and workout a deal and that team has to give the Steelers two 1st for him. If nobody bites, they can work on a trade. That's why I'm saying they could get two 1st, or just a 1st, or worse case scenario 2nd and some more picks.

He's going to report the minute before the deadline for accruing a season hits and the Steelers won't have his rights come the offseason, if I've followed everything correctly. They don't have anymore tags to hit him with once he reports. Next offseason will be the first time Bell will have a say in where he plays. Again, if I've followed everything correctly for the distance I follow.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Id give up a 2nd and 3rd for Peterson...since we would have him for this year and the next two. Pairing him with Haden is too good to pass up.

We can find a way to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back after the season. It wont be Bell, they wont transition him..not a good look around the league. Theyll just let him go and we will have our extra 3rd round pick in 2020.

Then in the first round in next draft we can take our ILB or even DE/OLB...the class is loaded with them. Even we cant miss this time.

Obviously would hurt giving up a 2nd and 3rd since weve actually been good in those rounds(btw thats the report...they want a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd..maybe we can offer them a 2nd this year and a 3rd in 2020 since we have two) but Peterson is the type of player you give up those picks for. Still one of the best in the league. Would immediately make our whole D better. Not just the secondary. With him and Haden covering guys(along with Davis, Burnett, Hilton, Edmunds) the QB will be hanging onto the ball longer allowing our front 7 to get to the QB.

Would also possibly help turn Burns career around. He can take a back seat and take the pressure off of himself. Backing up two solid corners and learning rather than having to split time with a corner who is worse than him. Hes been putting so much pressure on himself to get better it reminds me of a batter in baseball thats changed his mechanics/approach so much hes a complete mess right now.

Really hope the FO realizes all of this and makes the move. Some team will thats for sure. And it could be either the Pats or Chiefs. Making it even worse.

Peterson - Davis - Burnett/Edmunds- Haden

Hilton

Burns and Sutton as the backups.

That would be a top secondary in the league, He would do wonders for everyone elses game...development.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
He's going to report the minute before the deadline for accruing a season hits and the Steelers won't have his rights come the offseason, if I've followed everything correctly. They don't have anymore tags to hit him with once he reports. Next offseason will be the first time Bell will have a say in where he plays. Again, if I've followed everything correctly for the distance I follow.

This is the assumption I was under as well in which case no team is going to offer the Steelers anything because they will just wait until Bell hits the open market and the Steelers would get the compensatory 3rd round pick

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Well they could tag him for a 3rd time but they wont. Nobody does that because of the cost(would be around 22 mil I believe)

Reactions: MurrKess3081

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Id give up a 2nd and 3rd for Peterson...since we would have him for this year and the next two. Pairing him with Haden is too good to pass up.

We can find a way to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back after the season. It wont be Bell, they wont transition him..not a good look around the league. Theyll just let him go and we will have our extra 3rd round pick in 2020.

Then in the first round in next draft we can take our ILB or even DE/OLB...the class is loaded with them. Even we cant miss this time.

Obviously would hurt giving up a 2nd and 3rd since weve actually been good in those rounds(btw thats the report...they want a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd..maybe we can offer them a 2nd this year and a 3rd in 2020 since we have two) but Peterson is the type of player you give up those picks for. Still one of the best in the league. Would immediately make our whole D better. Not just the secondary. With him and Haden covering guys(along with Davis, Burnett, Hilton, Edmunds) the QB will be hanging onto the ball longer allowing our front 7 to get to the QB.

Would also possibly help turn Burns career around. He can take a back seat and take the pressure off of himself. Backing up two solid corners and learning rather than having to split time with a corner who is worse than him. Hes been putting so much pressure on himself to get better it reminds me of a batter in baseball thats changed his mechanics/approach so much hes a complete mess right now.

Really hope the FO realizes all of this and makes the move. Some team will thats for sure. And it could be either the Pats or Chiefs. Making it even worse.

Peterson - Davis - Burnett/Edmunds- Haden

Hilton

Burns and Sutton as the backups.

That would be a top secondary in the league, He would do wonders for everyone elses game...development.

I really think you are underestimating a few things.... first, it will take at least a first round pick to land a top 5 corner who is locked up for a few more seasons, second I don’t think Peterson gets move mid season because big time trades for big time players in their prime rarely happen mid season in the NFL.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I really think you are underestimating a few things.... first, it will take at least a first round pick to land a top 5 corner who is locked up for a few more seasons, second I don’t think Peterson gets move mid season because big time trades for big time players in their prime rarely happen mid season in the NFL.

Just going by reports. Apparently the Cards want to build around Rosen and add to the offense. Want to unload and get as many picks as possible. Peterson is on the block for a 1st or 2nd/3rd. They also put Buchanon and Reddick on the block.

IF they are serious about moving Peterson(his timeline doesnt matchup with Rosen's) then we should be all over it. Theres also that connection we have with them with so many of our players going there after they leave here..so that should give us the edge over some of the other teams who would offer the same package. Theyll be getting Antonio Brown and others once their time is up here. :popcorn:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Just going by reports. Apparently the Cards want to build around Rosen and add to the offense. Want to unload and get as many picks as possible. Peterson is on the block for a 1st or 2nd/3rd. They also put Buchanon and Reddick on the block.

IF they are serious about moving Peterson(his timeline doesnt matchup with Rosen's) then we should be all over it. Theres also that connection we have with them with so many of our players going there after they leave here..so that should give us the edge over some of the other teams who would offer the same package. Theyll be getting Antonio Brown and others once their time is up here. :popcorn:

Arizona isn’t going to trade him to the Steelers just because most Steelers go there once they leave Pittsburgh. They will trade him to whoever would give them the most, and if the Steelers offer is a 2nd and 3rd then it will be beat

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Nick Bosa is leaving OSU due to his injury and to focus on the draft. Welcome to college football in 2018.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Arizona isn’t going to trade him to the Steelers just because most Steelers go there once they leave Pittsburgh. They will trade him to whoever would give them the most, and if the Steelers offer is a 2nd and 3rd then it will be beat

Was a joke. Point is...he is available. Do a search before disagreeing with everything.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Nick Bosa is leaving OSU due to his injury and to focus on the draft. Welcome to college football in 2018.

Cases like this are going to happen very infrequently. Only with players who are solidly a Top 3-5 pick. It's not like John Q Linebacker who might get drafted in the 7th round is going to sit out 1/2 season.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Where did you see that the Steelers are going to put a non exclusive tag on Bell?

Because why wouldn't they? Just going to let him walk for comp. picks vs. potentially two 1st. They can also work out a trade. They have never actually tried to trade him. They could at the very least get a guaranteed 2nd for him.

Well you haven't because they can tag him one more time.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Cases like this are going to happen very infrequently. Only with players who are solidly a Top 3-5 pick. It's not like John Q Linebacker who might get drafted in the 7th round is going to sit out 1/2 season.

Anyone with Top 15 draft stock could do it. It's not significant numerically, but take out the Top 15 upperclassman in the country, and it will be noticed. Quality v. quantity.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
What's the rough estimate money for a 3rd time RB franchise tag? Because I would assume you'd have to have the cap space cleared to offer the tag, but I'm no where near confident in that being the case.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Because why wouldn't they? Just going to let him walk for comp. picks vs. potentially two 1st. They can also work out a trade. They have never actually tried to trade him. They could at the very least get a guaranteed 2nd for him.

You dont want to scare potential FAs from coming here tho.. As much as Id like to see them do that ...they wont. Theres no doubt they would have this year if they knew Bell would do this but they were showing they did want him back...he still pulls what he did.

We are just gonna have to let him finish the year as a rental(he will help us this year if used right) and get the comp pick. But we also have the cap space to add someone else for the defense to better our odds. They need to use it.

If they didnt win these last two games its a different story. But they are back in it now and its time to go for it..the AFC is wide open and we finally have cap space during the season to add a legit defender

Reactions: Andy99

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Anyone with Top 15 draft stock could do it. It's not significant numerically, but take out the Top 15 upperclassman in the country, and it will be noticed. Quality v. quantity.

I dont think you could decide on a consensus Top 15, and if you could, there's a lot of players who could put together a season or 4 or 5 game run to bump you into the late 20's or 30's. I imagine you'll find more players skipping meaningless program cash grabs, aka bowl games, but I doubt you'll see a rash of players sitting out 1/2 seasons or more.

You have to have a special player, like Bosa, who's stock can only fall and have a rare talent, like plug and play end pass rusher.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Was a joke. Point is...he is available. Do a search before disagreeing with everything.

I know he is available but again I think that deals for players like him just don’t come together at the deadline. Also the Arizona coach came out and said they aren’t trading him either today or yesterday. Granted I wouldn’t really put much stock in that because well what exactly is he supposed to say besides that hahahahaha

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

The big reason they wouldn’t is because I’m not sure any team would really try to offer Bell a long term deal knowing they would have to give up two first round picks for him and then the Steelers would be left having to pay him like $22 million next season and he could always just not sign it like he did this year and then this cycle repeats itself. So I can’t imagine the Steelers tagging him again just because it could result in two picks, because I think there is a higher likelihood it backfires on them

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I was pissed at first, but then I realized the NCAA uses these guys to make billions of dollars. I think it's the right move. It sucks for his teammates, but he has to protect his investment and that investment is himself.

You can always go back to college and finish your degree. You may only have 1 chance to make big time money. Go do it. I blame the NCAA if anything.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I know he is available but again I think that deals for players like him just don’t come together at the deadline. Also the Arizona coach came out and said they aren’t trading him either today or yesterday. Granted I wouldn’t really put much stock in that because well what exactly is he supposed to say besides that hahahahaha

True. And normally Id agree they wont trade him. But with Rosen being a rookie and them needing alot of help on that offense for him..and with Peterson getting up there in age..their timeline's are off.

They know they arent going to compete in that division with the Rams without some major additions to their offense. Need oline help. Another WR to go with Kirk. A TE. Etc.

Theyre rebuilding on defense .switching to a 4-3. Which is why Buchanon and Reddick are also available. Id look at those two as well..depending on cost. They arent adjusting to the 4-3 ..would fit in here.

Youre right that the Cards arent going to unload Peterson just for the hell of it...if they dont get what they want they will simply keep him. My point was the Steelers should give them what they want. Like you said...we rarely see this happen. A guy like Peterson being available.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What's the rough estimate money for a 3rd time RB franchise tag? Because I would assume you'd have to have the cap space cleared to offer the tag, but I'm no where near confident in that being the case.

Basically the money they save on him no showing this year rolls over and pays for him next year.

The big reason they wouldn’t is because I’m not sure any team would really try to offer Bell a long term deal knowing they would have to give up two first round picks for him and then the Steelers would be left having to pay him like $22 million next season and he could always just not sign it like he did this year and then this cycle repeats itself. So I can’t imagine the Steelers tagging him again just because it could result in two picks, because I think there is a higher likelihood it backfires on them

I don't think a team gives up two 1st either but they can work with Bell and a team on a trade. They could definitely get a 1st imo or a 2/3 or 2/4 worst case scenario. Letting him walk is stupid and I've seen some people say they might not even been guaranteed any comp picks for him.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This is why I want Bell to come back and play. Alot forget just how good he was..and will remember once he comes back. IF they use him right. Conner has been great(I knew he had it in him and was excited about him starting this year...btw that 2017 draft is looking great. Watt, Juju, and Conner) but we have the chance to have the best RB duo in the league. Yet our coaching has proved over the years they arent creative enough to go with a duo..D Williams sat the bench once Bell came back. Was that Tomlin's idea..Haley?

Either way, I think this time they would use both and take advantage of having two great backs.

1. Bell is leaving..hes basically a rental..zero reason not to play him and help our offense the rest of the year.

2. Conner has been too good to sit once Bell does come back. So I think they will finally be forced to use both.

And there wont be drama..at least not with those two. Saw after the game the comments from both. Bell tweeting about Conner. And James responding with "I learned from your tape" . In an interview after, Conner said he wants Bell back and paired together " nobody would stop us"

Yes we wont get what we should in return for losing Bell after the season. Which is why we also need to use the cap space to add a top corner right now. Go for it all this year..with it being Bell's last. We'll still be fine going forward with Conner, but no reason to not use the rare cap space we finally have during the season. Bell holding out allowed us to add that cap space..and allowed Conner to get to this level. This is a perfect situation if we treat it right. Turn something that was a disaster at the start into a legit chance at winning the Superbowl

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

Yep I hate this. What's stopping Haskins now? Everyone's seen what he can do. I'm hearing its Herbert 1 Haskins 2.

(I know it's not the same situation but still. First it was bowl games, which frankly don't bother me that much, now it's gonna be half seasons soon...) man try to win a championship kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad