The Pittsburgher Thread: Where Tomlin tries his hardest to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Man the Ravens are nice. Team to beat in the AFC North IMO. Do the Bengals scare anyone as much as the Ravens do? Flacco so smooth against the Steelers, too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I sometimes wonder if Tomlin is trying to get fired. There is no way he does this stuff on purpose. :laugh: Great win, though! Man that read from Ben to AB was PERFECT.

Reactions: KIRK

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Man the Ravens are nice. Team to beat in the AFC North IMO. Do the Bengals scare anyone as much as the Ravens do? Flacco so smooth against the Steelers, too.

We will win the next two games. Browns at home and at Ravens. Hopefully we use the cap space we have to add a top defender tho. Trade our first rounder. We suck in the first round anyway.

Would love to get CB Rashaan Melvin from the Raiders but I dont think they will trade with us anymore. Looking at teams who will likely be out of it and make a trade...Colts/Raiders. Hopefully Bills and we get Tre'Davious White from them. Would take our first rounder +..still doubt theyd do it. Melvin could be had for cheaper if the Raiders would trade with us. Gruden might be done with that after the backlash so far.

Regardless..Colbert needs to get on the phone during this bye week.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I sometimes wonder if Tomlin is trying to get fired. There is no way he does this stuff on purpose. :laugh: Great win, though! Man that read from Ben to AB was PERFECT.

His mistakes arent even hindsight. These are all decisions all of us are yelling at before we even see the result. Its ridiculous how bad he is.

Funny the media shit on Bradshaw for calling him a cheerleader..but what does he actually do?

Reactions: ColePens and KIRK

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
We will win the next two games. Browns at home and at Ravens. Hopefully we use the cap space we have to add a top defender tho. Trade our first rounder. We suck in the first round anyway.

Would love to get CB Rashaan Melvin from the Raiders but I dont think they will trade with us anymore. Looking at teams who will likely be out of it and make a trade...Colts/Raiders. Hopefully Bills and we get Tre'Davious White from them. Would take our first rounder +..still doubt theyd do it. Melvin could be had for cheaper if the Raiders would trade with us. Gruden might be done with that after the backlash so far.

Regardless..Colbert needs to get on the phone during this bye week.
I feel relatively confident about the Browns at home, can’t go to 1-3 (0-2) at home to a rookie QB you figure... right? Weird to play that game so early with Ben as opposed to the last 2 years.

@ Ravens though... to just call that a win? No way. It’ll be brutal. Best D in the AFC and a QB who never has a bad game against the Steelers anymore.

Get your point about trying to get a CB though - cannot afford to keep rolling with Burns. He just sucks. Another dumb bust.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Jags getting beat down 17-0...could be their 3rd straight loss. Theyll be looking for a QB soon.

Yeah Chiefs are good but Mahomes is still a rookie so who knows come playoff time. AFC is wide open IMO. I know most want Bell gone...but why not keep him for one last shot at the Superbowl? 1. Conner could get injured..he tore his acl last year and had injuries in college so its not far fetched. And 2. Why not add another weapon for the offense?

These wins go a long way in helping players get over what happened. I say go for it all this year with the AFC being this wide open and us having the cap space to add a legit defender .

They really need to handle this the right way. Whats a 3rd round pick gonna do for us this year? Unless we get a 2nd and a good player(their demand right now) why not keep him and make our offense even more dangerous? I "think" Fichtner would be smart enough to use both backs. Even line Bell out wide as a WR half the game if you dont want to take out Conner. He is a #2 WR afterall.

But seriously..they should be smart and leave the personal feelings aside. Weve been missing out on the Superbowl for too long.

We could add Bell and a legit defender. That may be enough to overcome Tomlin

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You can win with a coach like Tomlin (it's very hard) as we did in 2009 and nearly against GB. But those teams we had a very, very under appreciated OC in Arians and obviously a legendary DC in Lebeau. Tomlin could just stand around, yell at the guys now and then and let the coordinators and staff and obviously elite talent on the field do the rest.

Edit: With that being said, I'm still no fan of his and think he'll bail as soon as Ben hangs them up. No chance he keeps winning 10+ games without 7 under C.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Blake Bortles has been ass ever since the Jaguars beat the Patriots. He needs some Stiller defense to get going again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s early, but I’m honestly trying to figure out why Bell is so superior to JC that he deserves over 15x the amount...?

Bell was just fed the ball 30-35 times a game to get him production, but as I pointed out last year he looked slow and was a plodder. He simply didn’t have many explosive plays

JC runs just as hard, he’s definitely more explosive than Bell, his pass protection has been way beyond what I had hoped for, and he’s got a really nice set of hands.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
You can win with a coach like Tomlin (it's very hard) as we did in 2009 and nearly against GB. But those teams we had a very, very under appreciated OC in Arians and obviously a legendary DC in Lebeau. Tomlin could just stand around, yell at the guys now and then and let the coordinators and staff and obviously elite talent on the field do the rest.

Edit: With that being said, I'm still no fan of his and think he'll bail as soon as Ben hangs them up. No chance he keeps winning 10+ games without 7 under C.

Why would he bail after Ben? He has job security for life. He's going to be the new Joe Pa and coach this team for another 40 years cuz the Art II loves him some Tomlin Pie, all you can eat.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The Ravens are, too. Incredible drive by Flacco. Alex Collins a very good RB. Elite D. Flacco solid. Best kicker in NFL history.

I mean not to pour on too much, lol they lay an egg sometimes - I just think they’re such a bigger threat to the Steelers than the Bengals are.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Ravens are, too. Incredible drive by Flacco. Alex Collins a very good RB. Elite D. Flacco solid. Best kicker in NFL history.

I mean not to pour on too much, lol they lay an egg sometimes - I just think they’re such a bigger threat to the Steelers than the Bengals are.

Flacco will Flacco eventually.

Our offense did zero in the second half in that game.

Zero targets to Vance after him abusing that D in the first half. No idea what their gameplan was or what Ben was doing out there. I expect a much better performance next time around.

And Ravens beat a bad Bills team in week 1..a bad Broncos team. Lost to Bengals and Browns. They beat us..but like I said that was on our offense in the 2nd half. Our D held them to field goals in that half. No idea what was going on with Ben...one of the worst halves Ive seen him play.

Not saying they are a bad team but they are up and down just like everyone else. Browns beating them 12-9(?) Is a perfect example

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Honestly why would we expect a better performance next game? For all the reasons you say and more. Abandoning Vance, no idea what Ben was doing. Or what was the game plan. Horrendous D covg . And oh yeah coaching and game mgmt.

This is the norm. Expect it.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
End of the day, I just hope the Steelers can at least make the playoffs. Be it as division champs or a wild card... just get there.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly why would we expect a better performance next game? For all the reasons you say and more. Abandoning Vance, no idea what Ben was doing. Or what was the game plan. Horrendous D covg . And oh yeah coaching and game mgmt.

This is the norm. Expect it.

These last two games have been much better. Most may not want to admit but losing Bell did affect our offense. Allowed defenses to key in on Brown..and not having to worry about keeping an extra defender to follow Bell. Conner has been great...but he doesnt have that same respect from defenses...yet.

So weve been adjusting..and much better the last two weeks. Still upset during this game with the offense at times this game but they came thru. Two weeks in a row now with Brown over 100 yards...and 3 TDs total. We are getting there. Bye week coming up and can use it..with 2 more divisional games coming up. We should be getting everyone back.

And hopefully add another defender before the deadline

With all that said..my complaints about Ben were that he should have used Vance and other weapons more until teams started backing off Brown a bit to respect others. Took him awhile to do it..but we are seeing it happen now

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Btw, CB Bradley Roby is an UFA this offseason. Broncos are 2-4 after today. Not out of it of course but Maybe we can get him ..if they dont plan on re-signing him due to cap/replacements/etc. Just another option.

Point is there are CBs out there that Im sure we could land if we gave a good offer. And thats exactly what we should be doing. Our drafting on defense has been poor...if it takes a 2nd to land a legit corner or even a first to get a high end one...do it. Roby is making 8.6 mil this year btw..which we could afford to add. That was our problem in the past..we never had the room. Steelers like their OSU guys too..Roby former first round pick from there in 2014 I think. Id give up our 2nd . if we have to sweeten the deal by adding a 3rd the following year..whatever.

Just sick of wasting years..and our guys not panning out.

Looking at what the Rams did this offseason is exactly what we should be.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I think the Bengals suffer from the same thing the Steelers do right now, a coach that limits their success. Sub Marvin Lewis out for a real coach, dump a few meatheads and they would be a very, very good team that could win the AFC.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
My God does Tomlin piss me off.

For the second straight week he challenges a play that is CLEARLY not going to get overturned, eating a TO and a challenge. But this week he CLEARLY should have challenged the Conner no TD call but instead keeps the red flag in his pocket and they proceed to run 3 straight plays that go BACKWARD and end up settling for a FG, leaving 4 points off the board. That COULD have been the deciding factor in the game, and would have made the Bengals’ TD under 3 minutes, inconsequential...

It’s like others have said, it’s like Tomlin tries to lose games! Clock management, gameplan, in game management, halftime adjustments, etc, he just seems in over his head. Once again, Ben and AB had to bail his ass out at the end of the game and he probably acted as if it was the plan all along.

BTW, Burfict is much dirtier than Tom Wilson. Wilson is an opportunist who tries to make it look like he was “making a hockey play” while crushing someone’s melon. Burfict openly makes dirty hits and really doesn’t try to hide it. He’s an opportunist as well but he makes it clear when he makes a dirty hit, as he did today. AB was held up by two other Bengals and Burfict came in late to rock him in the head...

Would have like to have seen what happened after the game and what started it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think the Bengals suffer from the same thing the Steelers do right now, a coach that limits their success. Sub Marvin Lewis out for a real coach, dump a few meatheads and they would be a very, very good team that could win the AFC.

Agree with that...theyve had some solid drafts over the years. Dont have the coaching..or discipline.

We are very close in comparison right now actually. We'll see what happens next year or two(things can change quick) but right now these teams are pretty similar.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Vance was already becoming a legend in Pitt...but that hit on Burfict today should solidify it.

Get that guy the ball. Theres a reason they hung onto him even he was injured and could have saved 5mil in cap by releasing. If he can stay healthy and keep this going(Ben needs to keep targeting...I want 10 a game at this point) he will become one of the best TEs in this league. Way to set the tone for this game.

Also liked to see Bell give Conner props after the game. And Conner responding with a "been watching your tape". Like I said..if we start winning this situation will go away. And we are starting to see that today. Now Bell needs to contact the Steelers and come back. Do all the right things..try to win a Superbowl before leaving. With Conner doing this well in our last two wins, that helps out even more. Doesnt look as good for Bell(our line creating holes like that) as it did when we were losing. He has less leverage and needs to come back and remind teams why he "deserves " to be paid like that. I know some think he wont try but I dont see that at all..that would only hurt his case for a big contract next year. We have the unique situation of having two top RBs...and could really throw defenses off. Personal feelings aside..him coming back and us adding another piece for the Defense could put us over the top.

We are losing him anyway..I dont get why some just want him gone right now when we should be looking at it as a rental for this year. The goal is to win now and he would help with that. Thats if our coaching handles it right..using both backs. Id give Conner more carries but line Bell out wide. Who would you rather have lined up out there..him or Hunter? Would love to see what defenses do with us using both backs. To go with AB/Juju..McDonald/James. And Washington who hopefully gets better as the year goes on(this bye week will be big for him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->