OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Unofficial Official World Cup Thread|Parafuso Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just thinking out loud, but how cool would if be if the US hosted the World Cup originally given to Qatar, and Pittsburgh was able to host a few games?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
1-0 Chile in the 20th minute

Spain could be the first team eliminated. Hilarious. Or I guess they'd be eliminated along with Australia.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
To build on the World Cup in the US talk...

Pittsburgh wasn't among the candidates in the official bid, so I can't imagine it'd have a chance. San Francisco and Chicago also weren't included in that bid, so I highly doubt it's iron clad...still hard to see Pittsburgh beating out bigger cities with bigger stadiums. Hopefully the World Cup would be the final kick to get Farmers Field built here in LA. LA would be the obvious choice as the primary city, as it was in 1994.
My guess would be Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, New York, Washington, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago, and a wild card (I'll go with Atlanta, though I'd prefer Denver).

Unfortunately Portland doesn't have a venue anywhere near FIFA standards or they'd be a lock.

lol Spain

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
God a US World Cup would be so awesome. I was too young to appreciate the one in '94.

I don't want to say Spain is done, but they're probably done

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
God a US World Cup would be so awesome. I was too young to appreciate the one in '94.

I don't want to say Spain is done, but they're probably done

i only vaguely remember the 1990 world cup, but 1994 was when i became obsessed with national team. those denim jerseys, man. that said, pittsburgh seems like the longest of long shots to host.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Likewise.

Had it been 1998 or 2002 I'd probably have been a lot more into soccer, but it wasn't until the 2006 World Cup that I actually watched any games and not until 2008 or so that I actually started picking teams to follow.

My soccer fandom is still a work in progress, but having the Galaxy here has definitely helped accelerate it. If the US does indeed get the 2022 WC I'd try to make it to as many of the LA games as possible (7 may be a stretch...).

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Pittsburgh wasn't among the candidates in the official bid, so I can't imagine it'd have a chance. San Francisco and Chicago also weren't included in that bid, so I highly doubt it's iron clad...still hard to see Pittsburgh beating out bigger cities with bigger stadiums. Hopefully the World Cup would be the final kick to get Farmers Field built here in LA. LA would be the obvious choice as the primary city, as it was in 1994.
My guess would be Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, New York, Washington, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago, and a wild card (I'll go with Atlanta, though I'd prefer Denver).

Umm...
Have you ever been to Atlanta?

Nope nope nope. Although they did host an Olympics (those facilities have been purchased and absorbed by the city).

The idea now is to get out of the City, like the braves, who are scheduled to move to Cobb County.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Umm...
Have you ever been to Atlanta?

Nope nope nope. Although they did host an Olympics (those facilities have been purchased and absorbed by the city).

The idea now is to get out of the City, like the braves, who are scheduled to move to Cobb County.

Lots of stadiums are now outside of the city, which I never really realized until I was bored and started looking at them on Google Maps. About a week ago I was at the Pirates game and wondered where the Pirates would ever build a new stadium should they ever need one years down the line. Obviously it won't be for decades, but it's interesting to think about. Not a lot of room in or near the city anymore.

Hopefully they can just renovate it like MSG. Would hate to see that beautiful park ever torn down, regardless of condition.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Lots of stadiums are now outside of the city, which I never really realized until I was bored and started looking at them on Google Maps. About a week ago I was at the Pirates game and wondered where the Pirates would ever build a new stadium should they ever need one years down the line. Obviously it won't be for decades, but it's interesting to think about. Not a lot of room in or near the city anymore.

Hopefully they can just renovate it like MSG. Would hate to see that beautiful park ever torn down, regardless of condition.
There was actually some news about this recently, that they're beginning a study to work out how to make PNC last much longer than Three Rivers. Hard to believe it's 13 years old already, almost half of Three Rivers' lifespan.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
great tourny so far

wonder if FIFA would ever think of moving up the time span from tourny to tourny

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There was actually some news about this recently, that they're beginning a study to work out how to make PNC last much longer than Three Rivers. Hard to believe it's 13 years old already, almost half of Three Rivers' lifespan.

The plan is for PNC Park to last as long as Forbes Field did, so ~60 years or double what Three Rivers was. It's most certainly feasible, but updates are necessary every 10-15 years for that to happen.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Steelers have a strong interest in CB Brandon Flowers. They are going to try to get him visit here.

He will visit SD in next 2 days. Minnesota and Baltimore are interested too.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
As soon as Flowers was cut, i thought he'd be a brilliant fit for this D and given we have roughly 6M in cap space, and a need for NFL ready CB depth, he's a great fit. Down year last season but was not in the right scheme to succeed and had a pretty solid track record before that. Putting him opposite of Cortez Allen means Taylor and Gay would be in the slot where they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad