OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Unofficial Official World Cup Thread|Parafuso Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
USA! USA! USA!

John Brooks of all people...what an ending.

The Altidore injury is brutal, but 3 points here is huge for our chances to get out of the Group of Death, which is really the best we can ask of them.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
John Brooks is first USA player to score a goal in World Cup as a sub.

Graham Zusi made a great corner kick. He's also a sub.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Redemption for the past 2 WC. ****ing awesome. Beckerman, Jones, and Howard played incredible.

3 points in this group are ****ing massive.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not having Donovan on this roster is going to kill us too.

Totally agreed. It's one thing for him to not start, even though he very well probably could. But to not think he could help us coming off the bench late in a game when we need a goal? I'm a JK fan but I definitely disagreed with that decision.

Here's to Brazil beating Mexico 10-0.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If you're not going to start him, fine, whatever, but you can't tell me that there isn't a situation where he'd get into a game. If Jozy is indeed out for an extended period of time Donovan would be playing a big role...instead we blew a roster spot on a 19 year-old kid who has no chance of playing unless a game is 6-0 and the other team is playing with only 9 men.

Julian Green will almost certainly be a big player for the US in the future...but not now. I mean he only turned 19 a week and a half ago...

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'd like to see Wondo in for Johannsson to start vs Portugal. I think he'll be stronger on the ball and more decisive near net. Johannsson has a bright future, i just don't think he's ready to make a difference on the WC stage quite yet.

Have to retain the ball more and press a little bit, even with a lead. You cannot play in a shell, 9 guys behind the ball for an entire match, with a 1 goal lead and hope to hold on vs a more technical and talented group, like say Germany.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I'd like to see Wondo in for Johannsson to start vs Portugal. I think he'll be stronger on the ball and more decisive near net. Johannsson has a bright future, i just don't think he's ready to make a difference on the WC stage quite yet.

Have to retain the ball more and press a little bit, even with a lead. You cannot play in a shell, 9 guys behind the ball for an entire match, with a 1 goal lead and hope to hold on vs a more technical and talented group, like say Germany.

i dont think they wouldve done that if not for 1) jozy injury and subbing 2) dempsey injury and ineffectiveness after 3) besler injury and subbing

2 early injury subs including 1 for a central defender in difficult conditions severely limits your options. that, of course, is compounded by michael bradley having one of his worst games in possession that i can remember.

circumstances change and so do your tactics, we as penguins fan should especially recognize and applaud when a coach or manager realizes that and adjusts accordingly

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The tactics changed with the injuries pretty significantly, they had to. Jóhannsson wasn't in a position to succeed, though he could have made a couple better runs late in the game, he had no support. Dempsey wasn't near 100% after getting his nose kicked in and Besler's injury led to an even more defensive stance than usual.

I don't think Jóhannsson is at a stage of his career where he can be a game-breaker at this level, but I do think he has the speed to create chances. Wondolowski is at his best when he's being fed shots, and I don't think we're going to be able to do that too often against Portugal and certainly not against Germany.

Wondolowski did look good in friendlies against World Cup teams South Korea and Mexico earlier this year, so I'm far less terrified of the prospect of him playing as I was before...but I still don't have faith in him being able to create space for himself against elite teams.

Dempsey and Jóhannsson could work in a 4-4-2. That's the formation we started with against Ghana, but after Jozy's injury Dempsey spent a lot more time in the midfield than up with Jóhannsson out of necessity. Having any of our forwards as the lone striker is a recipe for failure.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wondo simply finishes better than anyone who can play near the front sans Dempsey IMO....at least so long as Altidore is out, which is likely the rest of the WC (even if we get out of the group). Scheme fit is important but so is putting people on the pitch that are proven finishers at this stage. Long term Johannsson projects well, but i just don't see it yet. Was not impressed in the touches AJ had vs Ghana.

The US has to push early, get up and then counter while in front. They did the first part well obviously, but sat back far to often and it nearly cost them on multiple chances. Granted, the Jozy injury forced our hand but the best play was easily us in transition attacking space and forcing Ghana onto their heels. It happened the first 5 minutes and directly after we were scored upon. Going into a shell simply puts an average back line in a tough spot for a long stretch. It's one thing to circle the wagons over the last 10-15 but another to spend 2/3rds of the time thwarting constant pressure.

Portugal will have some vulnerable spots in their back end. I think we can pressure them more so than we did Ghana, even without Jozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad