OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers, Pitt, PSU, Montana, and yes...Oklahoma State too for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Hockey is wrestling with this as well right now. And you are outright wrong that it is simply well compensated assumption of the risk.

There are lines, otherwise the NFL would not have paid out north of a BILLION dollars in the concussion settlement.

One thing that I am certain of is that neither hockey nor the NFL will survive as we know it. There will be some very large changes, as there has to be in order to survive.
Link please. This is not accurate.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Less kids are playing football because their parents don't want them destroying their brains before they grow up. I'm sure that is playing a role in the ratings going down.

It makes me laugh. You hear all of these people acting like the nfl is dying because of the anthem protests while in reality the people running the league are pulling in revenue that would make Bill Gates blush.

What do kids not playing football have to do with the state of the NFL and decreasing revenues right now??? I'll save you the trouble. Nothing. Down the road? Absolutely. It will greatly contribute to the NFL's downfall.

Yeah, brain injuries are real. The NFL has covered it up forever. No doubt in my mind. With that being said, again, these guys have to know the risk. They understand the violence. They're willing to do it because they're compensated so well. And partly because they love the game/competition (to varying degrees).

The NFL absolutely lost a shit load of viewers because of the protests. The protests won't sink the game (further studies on brain injuries will) but make no mistake. Look at the attendance numbers from 1-2 years ago vs today. Hell, Papa John's came out and said the decrease in revenue has extended to their game day sales. It's not a coincidence. Spoiled millionaires protesting during an Anthem that means A LOT to A LOT of people drove some of those folks away. But again, it is relatively minor in the grand scheme.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
What do kids not playing football have to do with the state of the NFL and decreasing revenues right now??? I'll save you the trouble. Nothing. Down the road? Absolutely. It will greatly contribute to the NFL's downfall.

Yeah, brain injuries are real. The NFL has covered it up forever. No doubt in my mind. With that being said, again, these guys have to know the risk. They understand the violence. They're willing to do it because they're compensated so well. And partly because they love the game/competition (to varying degrees).

The NFL absolutely lost a **** load of viewers because of the protests. The protests won't sink the game (further studies on brain injuries will) but make no mistake. Look at the attendance numbers from 1-2 years ago vs today. Hell, Papa John's came out and said the decrease in revenue has extended to their game day sales. It's not a coincidence. Spoiled millionaires protesting during an Anthem that means A LOT to A LOT of people drove some of those folks away. But again, it is relatively minor in the grand scheme.
Papa John's blamed it on the players because Papa John is a scumbag.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Another Steelers game that looked like a sure loss that they somehow turned into a win. It's really remarkable how they have pulled so many wins out of their ass this season.

They don't look as good as their record indicates but wins are wins. Hopefully Shazier is fine, we get healthy enough to make a good playoff run and try to make a game of it if we run into New England.

I'm honestly not surprised by Shazier getting injured though. He's a playmaker but also a horrible tackler on so many different levels. His tackling form of dipping his head down and using the crown of his helmet is a broken neck waiting to happen.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017

Sorry for so many of these links, but more and more seems like a real bullet was dodged. And I know people want legit info about what the condition is.

No such thing as too many links when it comes to this.

Thought I watched a player become paralyzed on live TV. Scary shit.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I was asked for a link to the NFL concussion settlement. Not only was it the amount that I claimed, but the NFL has been slow walking the payments:

'It’s been four years since the NFL reached an estimated $1 billion settlement in the landmark concussion lawsuit brought by former players. The vast majority of those players are still waiting for the league to make good on its agreement.'

Former players claim NFL is dodging their concussion settlement claims
I asked you for a link because you claimed the NFL had paid over $1B. I was aware they had only paid 10-20% last I checked.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
maxresdefault.jpg

Here is a hit where Ryan Clark and Willis McGahee both suffered concussions on impact and it has just as much shoulder to chest as Juju on Burfict.

The only place Juju didn't go helmet to helmet is in certain posters' imaginations.

Jesus Christ.

1. There is FAR more helmet contact there. Unquestionably.

2. JuJu did NOT make primary contact with Burfict's helmet. Not even close. It's like 95% body, 5% facemask.

3. As I said before, concussions are NOT necessarily the result of direct blows to the head.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The hit by JuJu will get flagged every day of the week, regardless of intent, and the taunting is inexcusable. That being said, not giving any excuses or condoning of the play, I love what his willingness to make a big block like that says about him. I don't believe for a second he was being malicious in any way except for the taunting part which was just youthful stupidity imo.

And whether or not he hit shoulder first to chest he contacted the head. Penalty every time. Unfortunately the legal play would be to go low.

This is wrong.

1. It's not illegal to make head contact if you're driving upward and make contact with the body. Your momentum taking you into a semi-helmet collision =/= illegal helmet-to-helmet.

2. Going low is absolutely illegal. A crackback is only legal if primary contact is made between the waist and the shoulders.

3. I don't believe it would be flagged every time. This crew is flag happy for one and two the intensity of the game was getting out of hand. In the context of that game I'm not surprised it was flagged but it was and should be considered a hard, clean block and a good football play.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I understand why that Juju hit is illegal today. The game has changed to try to be safer but man did that Juju block bring back memories of Hines Ward. Burfict does a lot of dirty stuff and that Juju block is exactly how Hines would have dealt with someone like Burfict back in the day.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I understand why that Juju hit is illegal today. The game has changed to try to be safer but man did that Juju block bring back memories of Hines Ward. Burfict does a lot of dirty stuff and that Juju block is exactly how Hines would have dealt with someone like Burfict back in the day.

The misconception is crackbacks are entirely illegal. The rule is no launching (leaving feet in upward motion), no direct head/neck contact with the shoulder, forearm (closelining), or helmet, and no going below the waist. JuJu's block was pretty much a textbook example of how to do it legally.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Glad I fell asleep in the 1st half. Don't even care about the W just Shazier's health.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Burfict made himself a target with his dirty play, and a rookie looking to impress his teammates cashed in the bounty (not saying there was a pool, but I am 100% sure they talked about pay back).

I’m not going to get into if he deserved it or not, but this is definitely live by the sword shit.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Less kids are playing football because their parents don't want them destroying their brains before they grow up. I'm sure that is playing a role in the ratings going down.

It makes me laugh. You hear all of these people acting like the nfl is dying because of the anthem protests while in reality the people running the league are pulling in revenue that would make Bill Gates blush.

Not even a new phenomenon, my parents wouldnt let me play football growing up for that very reason. In retrospect, probably a good idea. Hockey has its problems, but everytime I catch a football game I just see tackle after tackle with people leading with their head or hitting their head. I definitely watch less and less football every year, partly because I get more and more into other sports, but also partly because of this issue.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Won't allow my son to play football. To be honest he's shown far more interest and ability in baseball...and hockey :)

With that being said, I still maintain these guys that are talented enough to make the NFL and receive substantial compensation, know the risks. Ryan Shazier's play was the scariest of the night and it was a seemingly innocent play. It's a violent sport that is played by very strong individuals at a high rate of speed. As I've said repeatedly, unless you take tackling out of the game, you will have many serious injuries, which includes the brain.

I agree that people flying around recklessly is not needed or good for the game. But without a doubt we see more flags and questionable calls because they are trying to "baby proof" the game. And that is a piece of the pie when it comes to why football is a dying sport, long term. A huge % of viewers want to see the big hits and even folks being laid out in highlight reel fashion. This is not new to the human psyche. Dates back to the beginning of time in terms of combative sports. Removing that spectacle weakens the game for many. Right or wrong.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Wasn’t a fan of Juju standing over Burfict, but didn’t care at all about his block. Illegal, legal, made no difference to me. AB summed it up pretty well - karma.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Jesus Christ.

1. There is FAR more helmet contact there. Unquestionably.

2. JuJu did NOT make primary contact with Burfict's helmet. Not even close. It's like 95% body, 5% facemask.

3. As I said before, concussions are NOT necessarily the result of direct blows to the head.

1. No. The hits are actually very similar at the point of impact. Clark's shoulder is hitting McGahee in the chest. As a matter of fact, McGahee was in a far lower position than Burfict so the argument could be made that Juju's hit is just as much if not more of a head shot.

2. How are you gonna say there is 5% contact to the head? Geez. The crown of Juju's helmet is embedded in the side of Burfict's helmet. Again, you seem to think any head shot with shoulder to chest contact is not a head shot and that is just laughably incorrect.

3. The concussion was the result of the blow to the head here. Burfict does not hit his head on the ground and you can see his limbs go limp before he hits the ground. He was knocked out by the hit and it was obvious. You are one of maybe 4 people on planet earth who do not see this as a headshot. Unquestionably.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad