GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Honestly I'm speechless. Best quote of the puff piece:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

He’s a proud athlete coming back to prove something.

Between him being highly motivated and adding Harris, this team is going to surprise all the doomsayers I feel.

Unfortunately, it’s just going to ruin their chances at getting their next franchise guy.

Just a big ass waste of time, but it is what it is.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Best shape of his life headlines mean training camp is right around the corner. I’m not optimistic about the team accomplishing anything but football is football.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Last year he looked pretty damn good shape wise so this isn’t surprising. Y’all are hating on the guy for no real good reason. He’s still a good QB, nowhere near how good he used to be though and it’s gonna suck when he’s gone and we’re watching scrubs trying to win us games.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

Honestly I'm speechless. Best quote of the puff piece:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

why on earth would they do that considering they were not bringing Ben back if he didn't agree to play for less money?

I thought Defensive backs were one of tomlin's specialties?
how long have they groomed sutton for?

they could have been in position to possibly draft herbert/tua if not for the fitz trade.
now they want to roll that dice again?

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ryan Burr
@RyanBurr
Bill Belichick denounced Ryan Burr story as fake news. Burr was proved correct then & now details Roethlisberger offseason
1. Ben camp says he hears everything. Best shape of his life, narrative that he takes a yoga class & then has a beer is just wrong
https://www.boston.com/sports/new-engla ... fake-news/
2. Ben camp says biggest concern is weight loss. He has been so driven since season ended. Source says his diet is stricter than Brady.
3. Source goes on to say from an arm standpoint, Ben is more likely to win his first league MVP than finish outside top 10 in passing.
4. “Ben will never mention the beating he has taken in the media but says from a dedication standpoint has never seen anything from Ben close to this in past. Source say obsessed with diet & workouts. “
Colin Dunlap @colin_dunlap
12h
I've heard some stuff in my day, but if you mean Ben Roethlisberger's diet is stricter than Tom Brady's that might absolutely take the cake as the most ridiculous.
Ryan Burr
@RyanBurr
Replying to @colin_dunlap
I rolled my eyes as well. Source said “trust me Ben is obsessed with having his best year ever.”
Ryan Burr @RyanBurr
10h
5. I started covering Ben as a basketball player in hs. I was @13abc in Toledo. Played wr on fball team because coaches son was QB. BR was QB sr yr made most of it.covered him @MiamiOHFootball that was 1st transformation. Day after draft FSNPGH sent me to his house for interview.
6. In PGH saw BR transform again into star QB that didn’t go well. Motorcycle booze women.
7. Then he married, was forced to settle down. But the narrative of beer guzzling lazy Ben never went away.
8. Find me an athlete and professional sport that gets blamed for everything as much as BR? From source in Roethlisberger camp he is tired of it. His ego is tired of it. If Steelers don’t run ball it’s because BR only wants shotgun. If OL has trouble BR holds ball to long.
9. If defense struggles BR scored to quick. Listen I have seen the total A-hole Ben. I have seen the unprepared out of shape Ben. I am told for what it’s worth those former Ben’s have been buried in a grave.
Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike
10h
Replying to @RyanBurr
You left out on those days when he gets his angle turned 360 degrees and limps through it and plays, he's a "drama king."​

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
While I agree Ben has been unfairly criticized for some things that went wrong with the team. That being said:

Ben is a 100% responsible for not running the ball and being in shotgun all the time. He is in control of the offense, he can call a different play. And the previous offensive coordinator was hand picked because he was Ben's buddy. Ben should have easily been able to talk to Randy during the work week and during games and say that we need to run the ball more. Especially from under center.

One thing that is ridiculous is Ben's unwillingness to sneak the ball. Once again, that is 100% on him and when his main rival, aka Brady, does it all the time then that is 100% on him. Sneaks are basically 100% on the QB. There have been so many times over the past decade where if Ben got off his ass and did a QB sneak, I am sure the team would have been more successful.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
While I agree Ben has been unfairly criticized for some things that went wrong with the team. That being said:

Ben is a 100% responsible for not running the ball and being in shotgun all the time. He is in control of the offense, he can call a different play. And the previous offensive coordinator was hand picked because he was Ben's buddy. Ben should have easily been able to talk to Randy during the work week and during games and say that we need to run the ball more. Especially from under center.

One thing that is ridiculous is Ben's unwillingness to sneak the ball. Once again, that is 100% on him and when his main rival, aka Brady, does it all the time then that is 100% on him. Sneaks are basically 100% on the QB. There have been so many times over the past decade where if Ben got off his ass and did a QB sneak, I am sure the team would have been more successful.

:yo::yo::yo:

1) Unwillingness to sneak
2) Randy Fichtner getting paychecks
3) Not running

That said I'm glad he feels disrespected and is trying to actually get in shape. I would love to be wrong and get "2nd half Colts Ben" all year. Even when we were winning the 1-yard-pass-to-Juju-running game offense was hard to watch.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
I don't understand exactly what Sherman did I just know it's a felony. I'll never understand how some folks can get themselves in that position especially when needing a second/third chance.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

that's not correct. he used to sneak the ball before haley got here.

haley's initiative from the top was to keep ben healthy mostly through getting rid of the ball sooner. the non QB sneak was just a part of it

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don’t think he tries to act like Madden at all.

Dejan just has a natural pompous attitude that he knows everything and while I’ve never followed him for football or baseball (hate it)… he definitely doesn’t know hockey.

That's all Pittsburgh sports media though. That goes back to the Cook and Smizek hot take days. Absolutely atrocious takes on hockey.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Ben starts to accept the fact that he's a game manager, this could be a really good team and he could play another couple of years. Everyone, including Ben, has to accept the fact that Najee Harris is the cornerstone of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense. If everyone buys into that...the team could surprise some people. The WR corps has to catch the f***ing ball. That is one thing that cannot bleed over from last year. That needs to be rectified and never show its ugly head again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's all Pittsburgh sports media though. That goes back to the Cook and Smizek hot take days. Absolutely atrocious takes on hockey.

Cook is just a curmudgeon, but he never came off as a pompous ass like Dejan. I never got the sense he pretended to know everything, he is just a miserable, grumpy dude.

Smizik was more or less the same as Cook, but he basically was a huge Pirates fanboy that took his anger of their failings out on Steeler and Pens fans… his jealousy often made him look the fool.

If Ben starts to accept the fact that he's a game manager, this could be a really good team and he could play another couple of years. Everyone, including Ben, has to accept the fact that Najee Harris is the cornerstone of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense. If everyone buys into that...the team could surprise some people. The WR corps has to catch the f***ing ball. That is one thing that cannot bleed over from last year. That needs to be rectified and never show its ugly head again.

This is the point I’ve been making that the doomsayers keep missing.

If Harris can be their focal point and keep Roth to 20-25 passes a game, that keeps him from being banged around, keeps his arm fresh, and makes their offense harder to defend.

An offense with Harris. Juju, Claypool, Johnson and what looks like two good receiving TE, should be pretty damn good.

People worry about the OL, but Big Al, Pouncey and DD were just avg to atrocious many times last season.

I just can’t see the OL being any worse considering how those three played last season.

Last edited:

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
When I saw the headline last night I incorrectly assumed he was the aggressor. Sucks he seems to have married a loose cannon. Good on him to go to police instead of escalating.

If I'm understanding the timeline correctly. This incident happened on July 3rd then he proposed to her a week later. So I'm not too sure we should feel bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad