OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That said, do we know it's the Titans' "fault" that COVID reached their locker room? Doubt the team or league is gonna say anything official, but are there rumors of breaking protocols? (I'm in Twitter jail so can't troll the site for rumors.)

The only way they aren't at fault theory has legs is if the Vikings had positives as well. You could argue the Vikings gave it to them but the Vikings played them last weekend and have none. I think it's definitely an isolated issue. Somebody in the Titans organization screwed up. Simple as that and they should have to forfeit for it.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I tend to agree about the forfeit, and I think it's defensible from the league's perspective because just because you are able to finesse the schedule to have a bye week for these two teams this week doesn't mean that's going to hold up because who knows if/when another team has an outbreak. I understand they want to play the games but from an operations standpoint a forfeit alleviates a lot of potential headaches.

That said, do we know it's the Titans' "fault" that COVID reached their locker room? Doubt the team or league is gonna say anything official, but are there rumors of breaking protocols? (I'm in Twitter jail so can't troll the site for rumors.)

shouldn’t matter whether anyone is “fault”.... they should have to forfeit instead of forcing the Steelers to take an early bye week...the only other palatable option would be for the NFL to take an extra week before the playoffs start to play any and all games that had to be postponed during the season...assuming the Steelers or Titans weren’t in line to have the top seed and only bye week in the AFC, that works as well and is better than forfeiting their current byes

Reactions: USMC607

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The only way they aren't at fault theory has legs is if the Vikings had positives as well. You could argue the Vikings gave it to them but the Vikings played them last weekend and have none. I think it's definitely an isolated issue. Somebody in the Titans organization screwed up. Simple as that and they should have to forfeit for it.

I get what you're saying. I was thinking (and I admittedly don't know what all the protocols are - I know the NFL had talked about "32 bubbles") more like if the coach's kid got it at school and the neither the kid nor coach felt sick and... as opposed to purposefully engaging in behavior that put him at risk for contagion (again, depending on what the rules are from the league).

Anyway, not trying to make it more complicated than it is. Just trying to figure out what constitutes "fault."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
shouldn’t matter whether anyone is “fault”.... they should have to forfeit instead of forcing the Steelers to take an early bye week...the only other palatable option would be for the NFL to take an extra week before the playoffs start to play any and all games that had to be postponed during the season...assuming the Steelers or Titans weren’t in line to have the top seed and only bye week in the AFC, that works as well and is better than forfeiting their current byes

You're right about "fault." And I think I said as much, that it's just too much to ask the league and another team to juggle their schedules.

Reactions: Andy99

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just knew when I looked at sports this morning this was gong to be the case. Had a perfect bye week mid season, perfect for healing up. Early byes suck. It is what it is but.. really we’re the ones being punished here. You test positive, you’re out X games or X weeks. Game should still be happening.

Reactions: That1Kid

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

We could lose all 3 of these games easily. We were likely going to face the Titans without AJ Brown this week, but he should be ready later in the season. Brutal

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Hell, teams could get multiple bye weeks with this plan. They should just make all infected and close-contact individuals sit out.

I guess the problem could be if every single player is within 6 feet of every other player, but I dunno. It’s their fault, haha.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Steelers are reportedly practicing today as scheduled. They might try to force the league's hand in terms of the CBA requiring 4 straight days off for a week to be considered a "bye week".

I say this now but watch the league say "lol nope" and just take away their Week 7 bye. They may also let the NFLPA go to voicemail.

I'm only mostly joking. I could see the league do something like this.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Hell, teams could get multiple bye weeks with this plan. They should just make all infected and close-contact individuals sit out.

I guess the problem could be if every single player is within 6 feet of every other player, but I dunno. It’s their fault, haha.

I say Week 12 we just fake positive test and take our own bye. This is opening a whole can of worms. You don't think Belicheat is thinking about shit like this to game the system? You make them forfeit the game and move on.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I honestly thought this was some sly attempt by the NFL to get the titans and steelers in a prime time game since we are both 3-0 and they didn't make the game a flex option.

But I guess not...

Either way this is what back ups and extended PS was for correct?

Self isolate the positive players and test everyone else.

If they can field a certain number of players to fill out the starting lineup and have a backup they should have to play or forfeit....

I dont seem why a team with no cases has to get their whole schedule messed up because a few players on one team f***ed it up.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I can see the season going into March if they keep having to postpone games. It sucks having a bye week so early but I'm willing to bet they'll have another bye week later in the season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't know how the league figured they wouldn't need 'spare' off weeks without going into a bubble to make up for this.

How many doubleheaders were there in MLB, with certain teams having to make up for lost weeks of games. Doubleheaders are, well Mr. Goodell, they're not an option here. Expecting all 32 teams to go through the season without issue or counting on all issues to come before a team has exhausted their bye week is just insanity, especially with the size of these rosters and coaching staffs.

In other words, this is the exact level of mess I'd expect from the NFL under the reigns of a useful scapegoat whose sole duties are to keep the money pouring in and the anger pointed at him rather than at the greedy sycophants who keep him in power.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Steelers got ****ed. Moving bye weeks is not a sustainable solution. By week 10 I predict we will see problems with this approach.

We also dont need our players getting sick so I dont mind them moving it .

As for them not getting a full bye... They are usually worse when coming off one anyway. So a half of one is fine.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I say Week 12 we just fake positive test and take our own bye. This is opening a whole can of worms. You don't think Belicheat is thinking about shit like this to game the system? You make them forfeit the game and move on.

Isn’t this the reason they expanded practice squad rosters? But now they just want to reschedule the games?

Bullshit

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
We also dont need our players getting sick so I dont mind them moving it .

As for them not getting a full bye... They are usually worse when coming off one anyway. So a half of one is fine.
Isolate the positive players and there isn’t an issue. This is the reason they expanded practice squads!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Isn’t this the reason they expanded practice squad rosters? But now they just want to reschedule the games?

Bullshit

Exactly. I kind of understand why they don't want to push on. They have new positives popping up everyday. They could infect the Steelers. Titans played the Vikings after a coach tested positive. Then they failed to contain it. It's pure negligence on the Titans behalf. They should be forced to forfeit the game. It would send a stern warning to everybody.

They could have infected the Vikings as well and we don't know yet. All I know is they have nobody to really blame it on except somebody in their organization. That's what it boils down to.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

MV5BMTY0NjAzMzgzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU4ODM5MTE@._V1_SY264_CR3,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad