OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought Driskel play a hell of a game. Really impressive game from him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He did play good but the Steelers have a history of letting mediocre to bad QB's own them. Tebow and brock osweiller had career games against them. And that's just Denver.

Eh - it was a bit different. I actually thought he made good plays. When the Steelers patently lose to bad QBs there are always a slew of reasons why that QB was successful, unrelated to that QBs abilities.

Driskel made throws and our pass rush was giving him practically no time. I actually had no idea who the guy was until yesterday. He ran a 4.56 at the combine at 6'4, 235 and he has a really strong arm. It appears injuries have hampered him thus far in his career though, being cut from every team because he is hurt.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Eh - it was a bit different. I actually thought he made good plays. When the Steelers patently lose to bad QBs there are always a slew of reasons why that QB was successful, unrelated to that QBs abilities.

Driskel made throws and our pass rush was giving him practically no time. I actually had no idea who the guy was until yesterday. He ran a 4.56 at the combine at 6'4, 235 and he has a really strong arm. It appears injuries have hampered him thus far in his career though, being cut from every team because he is hurt.

He was the backup in Cincy for a few seasons - living in Ohio, you see these things on Sundays...

He looked good, especially his mobility, every time I saw him, but the team never won.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I actually watched that entire game last night. Russel Wilson is the best QB in football, no question, IMO. His IQ is insane and he makes perfect reads and throws regularly.

DK is a physical animal. Gilmore had to play off of him due to speed and he got bullied after the catch cuz dude is so big.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I actually watched that entire game last night. Russel Wilson is the best QB in football, no question, IMO. His IQ is insane and he makes perfect reads and throws regularly.

DK is a physical animal. Gilmore had to play off of him due to speed and he got bullied after the catch cuz dude is so big.
I couldn't believe what they said during the broadcast that Wilson has never received a single MVP vote in his career. How is that even possible. He's gotta be the most underrated player in the league.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I am just glad the Steelers didn't get hit with the injury bug like almost every other team in the league did.

49ers got demolished, Saquon, Lock, McCaffery, what a rough day on the gridiron.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lamar is definitely in the same stratosphere

I think we should wait until he wins a playoff game, let alone a SB like those two have.

Until he has playoff success, he’s just another Vick, who was mostly a playoff burn out.

Reactions: JTG

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think we should wait until he wins a playoff game, let alone a SB like those two have.

Until he has playoff success, he’s just another Vick, who was mostly a playoff burn out.

Vick never won MVP. Lamar has only had 1 opportunity to play in the Playoffs since he took over in his rookie year when the Ravens were already dead in the water. So, it’s kinda unfair to compare the playoff successes of the other two guys considering Lamar is only 23 (same age as Burrow believe it or not!) and has only been in the playoffs once, but do understand that perspective.

In the regular season he’s got the following record:
Rookie: 6-1
Y2: 13-2
Y3: 2-0

That absolutely screams elite to me, and is a very similar career arch as Mahomes and Wilson.

Also FYI, Wilson has never gotten a single MVP vote before, let alone winning it, but maybe this is the year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Vick never won MVP. Lamar has only had 1 opportunity to play in the Playoffs since he took over in his rookie year when the Ravens were already dead in the water. So, it’s kinda unfair to compare the playoff successes of the other two guys considering Lamar is only 23 (same age as Burrow believe it or not!) and has only been in the playoffs once, but do understand that perspective.

In the regular season he’s got the following record:
Rookie: 6-1
Y2: 13-2
Y3: 2-0

That absolutely screams elite to me, and is a very similar career arch as Mahomes and Wilson.

Also FYI, Wilson has never gotten a single MVP vote before, let alone winning it, but maybe this is the year.

Jackson has been in two playoff games and lost both. Right now, he simply hasn’t proven he can win in the playoffs.

The Ravens were an absolute powerhouse last season and an overwhelming favorite and Jackson shit the bed with two picks and uneven play.

He’s done well in the regular season, but until he proves he can win a playoff game, it seems pretty odd to put him in the class of two great QBs with SB rings on their fingers.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Good thing is that the Steelers schedule is HORRIBLE.

Best teams they'll face is the Ravens...and then the Bills? or Titans?

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
With what I saw from Driskel I have significant concerns now about the Titans, Ravens, Jaguars, Bills, Cowboys, and Bills. Washington is also a developing team that I don't think can be overlooked either. The secondary has to improve fast.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Jackson has been in two playoff games and lost both. Right now, he simply hasn’t proven he can win in the playoffs.

The Ravens were an absolute powerhouse last season and an overwhelming favorite and Jackson shit the bed with two picks and uneven play.

He’s done well in the regular season, but until he proves he can win a playoff game, it seems pretty odd to put him in the class of two great QBs with SB rings on their fingers.

Whoops my bad, I didn’t realize they made the playoffs in 2018. I don’t think it’s odd at all. I think it’s unfair to criticize him for losing in the playoffs at ages 21 and 22 when some QBs are still playing college ball at that age, I feel Lamar definitely has the pedigree to win a SB one day. Mahomes won his Super Bowl at 24 and Wilson at 25. Lamar is only 23.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
With what I saw from Driskel I have significant concerns now about the Titans, Ravens, Jaguars, Bills, Cowboys, and Bills. Washington is also a developing team that I don't think can be overlooked either. The secondary has to improve fast.

Add Houston to the list too. Washington isn’t a concern, but totally agree with the rest. Our secondary has been very poor this year. Hopefully we can luck out and Fuller will be out this week (hamstring) and AJ Brown next week (bone bruise).

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Minshew destroyed the titans defense and the Broncos should have beaten the titans. Jags Cowboys no defense. Bills and Ravens are legit. Houston and Washington lack many true weapons both have 1 good Wr and bad O lines. Washington does have elite front 4

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Whoops my bad, I didn’t realize they made the playoffs in 2018. I don’t think it’s odd at all. I think it’s unfair to criticize him for losing in the playoffs at ages 21 and 22 when some QBs are still playing college ball at that age, I feel Lamar definitely has the pedigree to win a SB one day. Mahomes won his Super Bowl at 24 and Wilson at 25. Lamar is only 23.

Maybe he can win a SB, but again all we have are the current facts that he is 0-2 in the playoffs.

Maybe he will be in that tier with those two at some point, possibly this year.

However, you can’t put a guy who hasn’t even won a playoff game in the same tier as elite guys who have won SBs.

I’m not even saying he has to win a SB this season, but he most definitely has to show he can win in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad