OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wouldn't mind signing Jameis Winston if he decides to leave NOLA after this season. Same with Darnold. I think he could be a good starter with proper coaching. Unfortuately, sFinchter isn't the right coach for that. But he'd still be a better project than Rudolph, IMO.
Fitch and Ben are tied together. Canada is the guy working with young QB. Winston chose Nola over us knowing Nola was paying Hill to be the back up.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Fitch and Ben are tied together. Canada is the guy working with young QB. Winston chose Nola over us knowing Nola was paying Hill to be the back up.

He said he wanted to learn behind Brees. He may be the starter next year in New Orleans if Brees retires, but otherwise I expect him to use the same approach Teddy Bridgewater did and sign somewhere as a FA.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He said he wanted to learn behind Brees. He may be the starter next year in New Orleans if Brees retires, but otherwise I expect him to use the same approach Teddy Bridgewater did and sign somewhere as a FA.
They paid Hill 16 million guaranteed on a 2 year deal he is the next inline to be the starter. Teddy got 5 starts to build up his value doubtful Winston gets any starts

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This.

Although I expect Brees to retire after this season. He almost retired last year. Still, would be nice to get a Winston or Newton after Ben is gone. I'd hate to be stuck with a Bridgewater or Rudolph or Noles as a full time starter.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
They paid Hill 16 million guaranteed on a 2 year deal he is the next inline to be the starter. Teddy got 5 starts to build up his value doubtful Winston gets any starts

I know they claim to like Hill as their future Brees replacement, but I can’t tell if that’s a bluff or not. I think Winston will get opportunities to at least compete for a starting job somewhere next season, he may not be gifted that role like Bridgewater, just depends if he’s able to get any reps.

Also, he’s more than just a backup QB to them. He get a lot of reps in the red zone.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He looks so much like AB it’s unreal. The big question is whether he’ll ever snag those clutch grabs along the sideline. You could always count on AB to make a huge catch when you needed one. His route running, playmaking after the catch and punt returning are all already similar.

His target share is also similar. Ben just loves throwing to that position and especially if he trusts the guy playing it.

He really looks a lot like him when he has the ball in his hands. His hands haven't been as good yet, and the obvious fumble issues are a problem. What makes he and AB so great is when he jukes, his first 3 steps out of the juke are electric.

Yup, 23 targets already to DJ. He will have plenty of opportunities to become a top WR.

It also leaves Juju more open(along with the others) . As the season goes on, our offense should get better and better. Thats where we see those 80 yard TDs to Claypool for example. Or Juju and JW open for a first down. With defenses having to pay more attention to DJ.

Its only been 2 weeks, I feel like the offense can become a top 5 unit in the league. Thats if our Oline can do its job. Either way, Ben has 6 legit targets(not including the RBs) to throw to. There is no excuse for us not to be at least top 10.

Getting DeCastro back will make a huge difference btw.

JuJu has been playing some awesome football. He's a bully out there and has caught every target thrown his way.

They won't be better with Lawrence. Doesn't mean they wouldn't draft him if given the chance.

Whoever gets 1st overall will take Lawrence. Franchise QBs cure a lot of ills.

They have to take Lawrence and hold him ransom. Someone will pay.

He is the best pass rusher I have seen seen in a really long time. He has an arsenal of moves that he uses effectively. He has long arms and gigantic hands...he's almost like Lemieux in terms of his length. A tackle may be able to push him wide, but they can't push him wide enough to keep him from disrupting the QB, the same way you needed two guys to take on Lemieux - one for his body and the other for his hands.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They won't be better with Lawrence. Doesn't mean they wouldn't draft him if given the chance.

Whoever gets 1st overall will take Lawrence. Franchise QBs cure a lot of ills.

Not for the most poorly run organizations . . .

EDIT: I suppose in response one could say 'but was the QB really a franchise QB or just projected to be one, and the drafting team got it wrong'.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
So far so good . . . :thumbu:
either way, love to see this. seeing banner in tears after all the hard work was a good reminder of how brutally unfair this sport is so at the very least its good to see his replacement at least acknowledge it.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
honestly, how many millions of dollars in lawsuit money could taylor likely win? he should consider going that route rather than playing

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I thought Dotson handled himself well in a tough spot. He's got some snarl which I love seeing from interior lineman. Nice to know Dotson won't be in over his head if he does have to play more this year which is a big plus. Same with Okorafor.

DD is back this week provided no setbacks = great news. Had to figure it wasn't overly serious if they didn't put him on IR. Now let's keep the big guys healthy up front.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Its crazy how good Alualu has been for us. Still at the age of 33. Great to see. And we need that considering the contracts others are getting and will be getting.

Btw our D has been solid and thats without Minkah being his playmaking self. With Steven Nelson letting up 2 TDs already compared to 0 all last season. And Devin Bush , while being good, not making any big plays yet either.

I take that as a good sign. We have been getting big plays from Alualu, Vince Williams(6 TFL already), and Mike Hilton(been all over the place). Its too bad we didnt re-sign Hilton before last season when we had the chance at a 5 year 5mil type deal. Now he will likely get offered +10mil from a team. That was a mistake by Colbert.

And yeah I know Bud Dupree looked like a "first round" bust but we should have extended him to a 3 year or so cheaper contract when his 5th year option needed picked up. We had all of the leverage. Could have had him for a Vince Williams type deal. 6 mil a year. Now hes gonna get 20 or more mil a year. And will be gone as well. Its not like we had his backup in place. There was no harm in offering a few extra years.

Those are the chances you have to take sometimes. Cant wait until everyone proves they are a pro bowl caliber player. There were signs that Hilton had what it took. As well as Bud Dupree. The thing with Bud was constantly over running the QB and needing to learn the system more. Hes done that and unstoppable now.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Its crazy how good Alualu has been for us. Still at the age of 33. Great to see. And we need that considering the contracts others are getting and will be getting.

Btw our D has been solid and thats without Minkah being his playmaking self. With Steven Nelson letting up 2 TDs already compared to 0 all last season. And Devin Bush , while being good, not making any big plays yet either.

I take that as a good sign. We have been getting big plays from Alualu, Vince Williams(6 TFL already), and Mike Hilton(been all over the place). Its too bad we didnt re-sign Hilton before last season when we had the chance at a 5 year 5mil type deal. Now he will likely get offered +10mil from a team. That was a mistake by Colbert.

And yeah I know Bud Dupree looked like a "first round" bust but we should have extended him to a 3 year or so cheaper contract when his 5th year option needed picked up. We had all of the leverage. Could have had him for a Vince Williams type deal. 6 mil a year. Now hes gonna get 20 or more mil a year. And will be gone as well. Its not like we had his backup in place. There was no harm in offering a few extra years.

Those are the chances you have to take sometimes. Cant wait until everyone proves they are a pro bowl caliber player. There were signs that Hilton had what it took. As well as Bud Dupree. The thing with Bud was constantly over running the QB and needing to learn the system more. Hes done that and unstoppable now.

Yeah Minkah has not looked great. He has missed some tackles and has been caught out of position a few times.

I don't know if I would pay Hilton 10m+. He is a one trick pony - his trick is really f***ing good though.

Extending Bud at the time would have been a terrible decision.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah Minkah has not looked great. He has missed some tackles and has been caught out of position a few times.

I don't know if I would pay Hilton 10m+. He is a one trick pony - his trick is really f***ing good though.

Extending Bud at the time would have been a terrible decision.

Hilton can cover, and come in and get to the QB. Nickel DBs are getting paid more now than ever. Ravens gave theirs +10mil I believe. I just dont think we will. So its important Cam Sutton steps up next year.

And yeah at the time it looked like Bud would have been a bad extension but Im talking price. And he actually wasnt that bad, he just kept getting hurt. But still got around 6 sacks each year. His main problem was learning the defense. It took awhile.

Of course his agent will have him get the most money possible and he will go elsewhere but i wonder if he will be as good. Either way, we arent going to be able to keep both him and Watt. Its a shame after all of these years of trying to find LBs. But is what it is. Highsmith will likely take longer than a full season to be ready. Not sure how much money we will have for FA. Im guessing McDonald will be gone, saving us 5 mil(his final year here). But there arent many others we can get rid of to save on.

Most of the players that need contracts arent getting paid much as it is. Hilton, Watt, Conner, Juju, etc. We will be clearing 15mil from Bud tho. Which will go to Watt. Ben is going to cost us 40mil against the cap next year. That hurts.

Our secondary (Minkah, Nelson) should get better. We still face some good offenses coming up in the Texans and Titans but Id rather them face tougher opponents so they are better prepared than just rack up big numbers against bad ones.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I've been saying Steelers will regret not extending Bud. The tag was fully guaranteed for this year so he got like 16 mill. I think almost doubling it would have got Bud long term like 30-40 mill gtd.

No way the Steelers sign him long term after. They wasted all that gtd money this year. Ola and Highsmith have been getting reps in game. Going to pay Watt and hope for the best.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

I have to say, I expected more from Bush. As a top 10 pick I thought he would be on the level of a pro bowler. Sure he's a tackle machine, but so is Vince.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I have to say, I expected more from Bush. As a top 10 pick I thought he would be on the level of a pro bowler. Sure he's a tackle machine, but so is Vince.

Its only been 2 games. Last year to go with the 100 tackles he had 7 TOs( 2INTs, 1 FF, 4 FR) and a TD.

When teams start to run the ball more we will see him make more plays. I also dont see them continuing to blitz so often, making it tougher on the secondary. Prob the main reason we havent seen Minkah/Bush make plays like they were last year(14 TOs between them) and Nelson getting off to a slow start. They have been coming at the QBs these first two weeks prob cuz of who they were. Both young and inexperienced. But they said they wont continue to blitz as much as they have been.

Watson has more experience, theyll likely look to contain and cause more coverage sacks. Good news is he has been sacked 8 times so far...tied with Wentz for most in the league(we play both of them).

The great thing about our D is different players can step up each week, depending on the scheme.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
is it controversial to say that no preseason reps is probably harder on the defense since it is inherently reactive? also harder the further you go back from the line of scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad