GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Imagine how much the Steelers would have lost by

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Have a lot of friends that went to or currently attend JMU. One says he’s pretty bad but another close friend is team manager and he thinks there is legit backup upside.

JMU alum that watches every game I can here. He is not good. Especially bad against good competition in the playoffs. Threw a pick to lose the FCS championship this year. I'm glad he's graduating.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Thing is I never said DJ wouldn't be good. I said he isn't who we needed. I was proven right this draft. If DJ was the answer then they don't draft a Metcalf clone this year...
Diontae Johnson had a very good first year. I have no idea why you think you were right about him not being any good. He did as much as we could have hoped for as a rookie wr.

Reactions: That1Kid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Diontae Johnson had a very good first year. I have no idea why you think you were right about him not being any good. He did as much as we could have hoped for as a rookie wr.

He and Metcalf were practically identical offensively...except Metcalf was catching balls from an NFL MVP and Johnson was catching balls from a fringe NFLer(s)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The AFC North had a hell of a draft. Baltimore had one for the ages. I think they pulled at least 4 legitimate NFLers out of this draft...good possibility 6 become productive NFLers. Patrick Queen, JK Dobbins, Devin Duvernay, and Malik Harrison are guys who have better than a 50/50 shot of being long time NFLers. They have some real good depth guys who are boom or bust. I love their draft.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Matt Canada has coached James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, and Anthony McFarland in college. I heard an interview with McFarland and he called Canada a "father figure."

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Matt Canada has coached James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, and Anthony McFarland in college. I heard an interview with McFarland and he called Canada a "father figure."

I don’t know how much Canada will have a hand in the offense but the guy has helped some not so great players put together really good college seasons.

Also didn’t realize that McFarland ran for 298 yards against Ohio State his freshman year. A big complaint a lot of people had was a lack of change of pace back— by all accounts that’s exactly what we’re getting. I really couldn’t care less where the guy went to school. I think that’s just a ridiculous argument.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Since I was right about last year's draft I figured I'd give you my expert opinion.

But keep listening to Tomlin. He watches more Terp games than any scout in the country and thinks he can turn water into wine. Too lazy to look at other players. DMV players suck at football. I'll stick with Texas, PA, Florida, etc.

you werent right last year. Id still take johnson a true WR over a one trick deep threat.

59-680-5 with Duck Hodges is as impressive as 58-900-7 with MVP candidate Russell Wilson

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
There goes our ILB/S hybrid.

Antoine Brooks is an in the box thumper.

Good run stopper, reads run plays well.

Can't cover much tho.

not super versed on him, cant cover or cant cover for a standard safety? Is he someone who can handle LB cover responsibilities?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don’t know how much Canada will have a hand in the offense but the guy has helped some not so great players put together really good college seasons.

Also didn’t realize that McFarland ran for 298 yards against Ohio State his freshman year. A big complaint a lot of people had was a lack of change of pace back— by all accounts that’s exactly what we’re getting. I really couldn’t care less where the guy went to school. I think that’s just a ridiculous argument.

i read he was banged up last year too.

i think everyone forget that connor is a good back when he can stay healthy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The AFC North had a hell of a draft. Baltimore had one for the ages. I think they pulled at least 4 legitimate NFLers out of this draft...good possibility 6 become productive NFLers. Patrick Queen, JK Dobbins, Devin Duvernay, and Malik Harrison are guys who have better than a 50/50 shot of being long time NFLers. They have some real good depth guys who are boom or bust. I love their draft.

Ravens are a great org. Makes things fun to have a good rival to hate.

Steelers already had a great draft getting Fitz, who is already an all pro.

We all just like getting our presents under the tree on draft day, but that doesn’t change the fact draft picks are just assets to acquire players.

We need to keep perspective about how the first rounder was used.

If the Steelers landed a good starter from their actual selections, I’ll consider this one hell of a draft.

i read he was banged up last year too.

i think everyone forget that connor is a good back when he can stay healthy.

He can’t stay healthy, that’s the issue.

I am a big JC fan, but he can’t be counted on and that is the part that blows.

Steelers definitely made a gamble on JC with Dobbins and Akers still on the board.

Reactions: Rave7215

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not that anyone care but, here is my take on the draft...

Claypool - love the guy. Good athlete, great at getting contested balls. Immediate red zone threat. Will have a Metcalf lite type role when lines up outside but can also run verticle routes out of the slot like you see some athletic TE do when the split out.

Highsmith - raw but talented. Good ceiling.

McFarland - again good ceiling especially for draft slot. Super athlete, would have been taken higher if not injured last season. Really needs to work on pass pro.

Dotson - love him. Mauler. If they can clean up his pass protection technique he has starter upside.

Brooks - eh? Tweener but thats on purpose. If they can fit him in spots where he isnt isolated in coverage he might carve out a role. I wouldnt be surprised if he goes practice squad.

Davis - great athlete super raw as a two sport guy. Definite practice squader. Might one day become a rotational guy that can hold his own al JB Walton.

overall for their lack of picks i think they got very good upside, Claypool and Highsmith can also bring special teams value. Not sure about the others there but Davis has some special teams upside with his athleticism like Kiesel did when he was young.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

We all just like getting our presents under the tree on draft day, but that doesn’t change the fact draft picks are just assets to acquire players.

If the Steelers landed a good starter from their actual selections, I’ll consider this one hell of a draft.

He can’t stay healthy, that’s the issue.

I am a big JC fan, but he can’t be counted on and that is the part that blows.

Steelers definitely made a gamble on JC with Dobbins and Akers still on the board.

The good news that if he cant they still can cobble together something out of Samuels/Snell/McFarland for a year. And can revisit RB next years draft. I really liked Akers but with RBs being the easiest to plug in a rookie they can take a one year gamble on Connor.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The good news that if he cant they still can cobble together something out of Samuels/Snell/McFarland for a year. And can revisit RB next years draft. I really liked Akers but with RBs being the easiest to plug in a rookie they can take a one year gamble on Connor.

Aside from Roth’s health, RB is the only position I’m really concerned about.

It’s not difficult to find a good one when an org makes that a focus, I agree.

Ie passing on Dobbins won’t haunt them like the Bears passing on Mahomes... that will haunt the Bears for a generation.

I just don’t want Roth carrying the offense at his age, coming off an elbow injury. That’s why I wanted a reliable feature back they could lean on to fuel the offense.

Maybe JC finally stays healthy, but it seems like a fool’s bet to me.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Anyone else love the guard? Dude mauls people.

I have been reading/listening/watching to basically everything that has been released about the Steelers draft - I keep coming away with the organization being absolutely giddy about this pick. Rave reviews...tons of excitement. They legitimately believe he could come in on day 1 and compete for a starting spot. They are even talking about letting him give center a shot. I'm not super into that idea, but that just shows what they think of him. They think he is a true 5 position offensive lineman.

He was also blocked by moncrief for a few games as well. If Ben had been feeding him since day one, who knows what the stats would’ve been.

Johnson has things to work on, and I think the one take away I had from him is that he could sometimes give up on routes. I expect him to take another step this season having a legitimate QB throwing him passes.

Yeah, our draft was already a success. Getting Minkah for the 18th pick was a steal.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Steelers 2020 draft recap as of today:

1st- Arguably the best safety in the league
2nd - A WR/TE with the size and combine #'s of Calvin Johnson
3rd- pass rusher from low level football conference
4th- 3rd string RB?
4th- backup OL
6-7th round- PS or backups.

Nothing to be disappointed about, nothing that screams steal either (besides Minkah). We'll have to wait a couple years to judge.

Reactions: Rave7215

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Aside from Roth’s health, RB is the only position I’m really concerned about.

It’s not difficult to find a good one when an org makes that a focus, I agree.

Ie passing on Dobbins won’t haunt them like the Bears passing on Mahomes... that will haunt the Bears for a generation.

I just don’t want Roth carrying the offense at his age, coming off an elbow injury. That’s why I wanted a reliable feature back they could lean on to fuel the offense.

Maybe JC finally stays healthy, but it seems like a fool’s bet to me.

i dont disagree but if there is any position where a committee can work its Rb.

Also IIRC im a bit higher on Snell.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
not super versed on him, cant cover or cant cover for a standard safety? Is he someone who can handle LB cover responsibilities?

His best trait is reading run plays early.

In college he would diagnose a run play and be in the backfield before the QB even completed the hand off.

He also is a sure tackler and loves to hit.

However he can't cover that well at all for a standard safety. Like he has his moments but he does his best work inside the box.

Kinda of like Marcus Allen did In college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad