GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not looking good on TJ Watt front…and players did not vote him captain either…

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Not looking good on TJ Watt front…and players did not vote him captain either…

TJ out (?), Tuitt out. Bills -6.5. Just tank, damn it. Seriously, football being football, TJ will likely sign a huge contract in the next day or so and get hurt within the first 2 or 3 quarters of play.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can they just pay the man

you know the Steelers…they’ll be happy to pay him the most yearly salary for any defensive player but they won’t guarantee the money after the first year of the contract…if they don’t change that policy for him, he likely won’t sign…

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The fact of the matter is, this team is going to have an astronomical amount of free money in the next few years...they most we have probably had in 20 years. If there is a guy that should be paid...it's TJ. Not signing him sets a horrific precedent that the team is cheap. TJ has earned the right to be paid, he's a great face for the team, he is a great guy for the city, and he is a top notch teammate. Not signing him will surely give any high potential young player pause about sticking with the Steelers.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I would sign a TJ Watt for 5 years and $145M with it entirely guaranteed and not bat an eye.

Gosh this league is silly sometimes.

Reactions: Pengwins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
ESPN has Steelers drafting 13th in 2022. Houston picking number 1.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
So we’re gonna piss around and he’ll miss week 1.
Not beating that Bills without him. Then immediately sign him because then we realize we need him. Except oh we’re already 0-1. Dumb. Just get it done.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If another team said we'll send you a 1st and a 2nd next year, and a 1st in 2023, I'm taking that and running.

I love Watt. A massive steal that has turned into the best edge rusher in the NFL.

With that being said, he's an OLB. As great as he is, it's simply not a position you break precedent on. You haven't for other HOF caliber players.

You're under contract. Pitt still has 2 more years of control (franchise) after this one. The leverage is with them. Watt has to show up at some point to get credit for the season. I have no doubt the Steelers are willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. They're simply not wanting to give in to a player who is still under their control for another 2 years. I don't blame them. Watt wants the guaranteed cash past year 1. But either way, he has to show up by mid season or so (i forget off the top of my head) to get credit for the season, towards FA. He has to play to get his cash.

I know my take is not popular. But if a team offered up a pair of 1st rounders and a few others over the next 2 years, I absolutely consider it.

Especially considering this team is going to be rebuilding very soon, whether people want to accept it or not.

It won't happen, and I do want to see Watt/Steelers get something done, but for a steep enough price, he's gone in my book.

Reactions: The Old Master

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If another team said we'll send you a 1st and a 2nd next year, and a 1st in 2023, I'm taking that and running.

I love Watt. A massive steal that has turned into the best edge rusher in the NFL.

With that being said, he's an OLB. As great as he is, it's simply not a position you break precedent on. You haven't for other HOF caliber players.

You're under contract. Pitt still has 2 more years of control (franchise) after this one. The leverage is with them. Watt has to show up at some point to get credit for the season. I have no doubt the Steelers are willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. They're simply not wanting to give in to a player who is still under their control for another 2 years. I don't blame them. Watt wants the guaranteed cash past year 1. But either way, he has to show up by mid season or so (i forget off the top of my head) to get credit for the season, towards FA. He has to play to get his cash.

I know my take is not popular. But if a team offered up a pair of 1st rounders and a few others over the next 2 years, I absolutely consider it.

Especially considering this team is going to be rebuilding very soon, whether people want to accept it or not.

It won't happen, and I do want to see Watt/Steelers get something done, but for a steep enough price, he's gone in my book.

I disagree with this. A premier pass rusher is easily one of the most important pieces on a team. TJ Watt is definitely a guy you pretty much hand a blank check to.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
78 million guaranteed at signing is what Joey Bosa got with 105 in total to be the highest paid defensive player 5-135. They can tag him 2 times for 40 million in total if he doesn’t play in 6 games he doesn’t get to free agency and he gets fined every game is missed. He could take out insurance since he is gets 10 million this season.

against Buffalo the defense will be tons of nickel and they will run on the bills defense so him being on a snap count this week is fine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Bosa + 5%ish inflation is the reality of the situation. Yes the cap is wonky for a couple of years because of COVID but over the longer time horizon that's what the cap grows at:

NFL Cap History

Whichever side - or both - that aren't offering Bosa + 5% they are being unreasonable.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Bosa + 5%ish inflation is the reality of the situation. Yes the cap is wonky for a couple of years because of COVID but over the longer time horizon that's what the cap grows at:

NFL Cap History

Whichever side - or both - that aren't offering Bosa + 5% they are being unreasonable.

As the article I cited states, the Steelers will have no problem paying Bosa +5% overall money for the life of the contract…they probably just won’t offer $78 mil or more guaranteed, probably more like $50 mil betw first year signing bonus and some roster bonuses…

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So we’re gonna piss around and he’ll miss week 1.
Not beating that Bills without him. Then immediately sign him because then we realize we need him. Except oh we’re already 0-1. Dumb. Just get it done.

If that happens, it's on Watt and not the Steelers. He's still under a valid contract.

Reactions: KIRK

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The apparent perception that the Steelers are cheap or don't pay players is a really bizarre concept. The only player in recent memory for which that's actually been a thing was Bell, and the Steelers both offered him plenty of money and were proven right by not offering the absurd sum Bell was demanding. Watt is likely seeking unprecedented money AND to do it in a fashion that's contrary to how they've always done business. I'm not saying they shouldn't pay him, but if they don't, this goes both ways - Watt is under contract and is hardly being lowballed. If you don't like the offer, don't take it, but it's hardly insulting and you can play out your contract and move on.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The apparent perception that the Steelers are cheap or don't pay players is a really bizarre concept. The only player in recent memory for which that's actually been a thing was Bell, and the Steelers both offered him plenty of money and were proven right by not offering the absurd sum Bell was demanding. Watt is likely seeking unprecedented money AND to do it in a fashion that's contrary to how they've always done business. I'm not saying they shouldn't pay him, but if they don't, this goes both ways - Watt is under contract and is hardly being lowballed. If you don't like the offer, don't take it, but it's hardly insulting and you can play out your contract and move on.

They definitely aren’t cheap but upping the guaranteed money is the way the rest of the league is going. Eventually the Steelers are going to have to adapt or they’re going to have trouble retaining any of the players they develop.

I still think his contract gets done this week though.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

They'd be caving on multiple fronts and something they've never done for any other player, which includes multiple HOF'ers under Colbert.

He's under contract and team control for another 2 years after this one (franchise tag). He has to play to get credit for an accrued season. Sitting out doesn't improve his position.

I'm beyond sick and tired of guys feeling like they're entitled to just sit on a contract they signed, simply because they want more money. And the fans who blindly just scream "pay him" without any thought to the future consequences.

“Everybody wants to talk about their rights and privileges. Twenty-five years ago, people talked about their obligations and responsibilities. - as spoken by Lou Holtz, former Notre Dame Coach”

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We don’t have any reason to believe yet he won’t play on his current contract if they don’t come to an agreement before the season starts….my guess is he will (maybe after the first game since he won’t have practiced) because it hurts his leverage next season not to…he’ll play and then be franchised tagged and then sit out lol, but it does nothing for him to sit out this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad