OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Good Riddance, I say

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can't believe how night and day this defense is compared to the start of the year, on top of being the most penalized team in the league by a mile...

Someone deserves an award for this turn around.

Get back to me after that SD, NE, @No run over 4 weeks.

That's when we'll know for sure.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Glad we won, but sheesh. Belicheck is laughing somewhere.

I don't know. For the first time in a long time, he's looking at a Steelers team that instead of finding ways to lose actually finds a way to win. One doesn't laugh at teams like that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh yea Kirk, FYI

If they had kicked that extra point, they would have only needed a FG to WIN.

But THEY HAD TO GO FOR 2???

No, it was a decision that I disagreed with and some laughed at my thought process. That's what's wrong with message board and much of life.... can't go against the herd or you are castigated and ridiculed.

God Bless America
I wasn't on the boards posting but I too was watching and wondering what the hell were they going for 2 pts in the third quarter when they would only need that FG to win and not tie instead of having to only settle for chancing two - 2pt conversions.
To me that was a bad call and seemed like they were settling for the tie? I don't get it.

Reactions: John Titor

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Man you upset today huh?

The Fire Tomlin groupie's always make my day.

I'm highly confident like last year it will be another one and done. Im not a betting man but id probably put money on it. Tomlin is probably the worst but yet luckiest coach I've ever seen

Agree with you on Sullivan however. Too early to fire him even on a bad year. But next year will seal his fate if he gets off to another bad start.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Since I'm not a bright individual. I'll note that It's been 6 wins in a row since Tomlin lost the locker room.
And 15-1-1 in their last 17 road games. And I thought Tomlin was a terrible coach on the road or something?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I'm highly confident like last year it will be another one and done. Im not a betting man but id probably put money on it. Tomlin is probably the worst but yet luckiest coach I've ever seen.
Jesus wept.

Reactions: NEPA

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn't on the boards posting but I too was watching and wondering what the hell were they going for 2 pts in the third quarter when they would only need that FG to win and not tie instead of having to only settle for chancing two - 2pt conversions.
To me that was a bad call and seemed like they were settling for the tie? I don't get it.

Because until 3 minutes left in the game, your offense was struggling to move the ball, so how many more times could you have counted on have a chance to score.

And because for most of the game you struggled to stop the run.

No way to think the Steelers would get 4 possessions in the 4th quarter.

@JohnTitor is a second guessing yinzer who wanted Dobbs in the game. That says it all.

Reactions: wheelz87

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I am, I'm making fun of you and you're getting irritated.

:laugh: No, you're making yourself look like an idiot. Tomlin criticisms aren't valid/invalid on a game-by-game basis. On top of it, today was clearly not a stellar coaching job by him which makes your bragging look even more ridiculous

Reactions: NEPA

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
at least we will have one more win going in to those games. :)

And a 2.5 game lead with 6 to go, thanks to Baltimore. ;)

Gotta add this. Today aside, our OL is legit good. It really is. BUT, the one area where they really struggle, where they've really struggled for years, is against teams with a legit good 4 man front that just doesn't blitz.

It's not just the Jags.

Reactions: The Old Master

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
apparently you can :laugh:

No. You can't. And that's why they've lost important games against good teams. And that's why seeding has actually affected them in dodging NE. And that's why NE ALWAYS has the advantage on us.

So while it works randomly in the regular season, it has affected them in the postseason.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@bambamcam4ever

Clocking the ball 1st and goal. Bad. Not trying to run at least once with a timeout. Bad.

BUT, running on the last play was the right call.

IF you run earlier and don't get it, you've got what 12 seconds left and no timeouts. Throwing then is the only option.

I get what you're saying, but it cuts both ways.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Because until 3 minutes left in the game, your offense was struggling to move the ball, so how many more times could you have counted on have a chance to score.

@JohnTitor is a second guessing yinzer who wanted Dobbs in the game. That says it all.
I get that, but getting two 2-pt conversions seemed way more unlikely than getting 1 td and 1 fg in just over 15 minutes. The AB td changed the game showing 1 play can change the face of the game so to push the envelope with so much game left seemed odd. They had to step up defensively to have any chance to win anyway so regardless of the two td / two 2-pt conversions it wouldn't have mattered unless they got some d breaks.
I donno. It can go either way to call it obviously, but just seemed like a 'settle for at least a tie and go from there' kind of deal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
i'm not one of ben's biggest fans but trailing going in to the 4th quarter there is no one i'd rather have.

As long as this game was 2 scores, I really didn't get the class clowns calling for a QB change.

Before I forget, in a game like this, press coverage, JuJu was fighting for everything. I wish Ben had looked to him earlier instead of forcing crap to AB.

Someone said during the game AB struggles with press against big CB's. That's true. Which is why I wonder why they didn't have AB in motion to get a clean release or running isolated crossing routes (like that last catch in the 4th).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I get that, but getting two 2-pt conversions seemed way more unlikely than getting 1 td and 1 fg in just over 15 minutes. The AB td changed the game showing 1 play can change the face of the game so to push the envelope with so much game left seemed odd. They had to step up defensively to have any chance to win anyway so regardless of the two td / two 2-pt conversions it wouldn't have mattered unless they got some d breaks.
I donno. It can go either way to call it obviously, but just seemed like a 'settle for at least a tie and go from there' kind of deal.

Oh, it can go either way. BUT when you look at how the Steelers O was struggling and how the Jags still were running and moving the ball well, I get a coach saying 'I don't know how many times we see it in the 4th' and going for 2. Most coaches would've done that.

Reactions: shoplifter

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I don't know. For the first time in a long time, he's looking at a Steelers team that instead of finding ways to lose actually finds a way to win. One doesn't laugh at teams like that.

Maybe. I dunno, Kirk, the Jags gave us a lot of help to find the way to win today. We made a bunch of mistakes that would be difference makers normally.

You’re more confident than I.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
:laugh: No, you're making yourself look like an idiot. Tomlin criticisms aren't valid/invalid on a game-by-game basis. On top of it, today was clearly not a stellar coaching job by him which makes your bragging look even more ridiculous

I think Tomlin is a ******* idiot.

That said, I have no issue with (a) going for 2 after the TD, (b) not calling the timeout before the 2 minute warning (creating a disincentive for a play action call where they could hit Fournette coming out of the backfield; that one was about knowing Marrone would trust his D), and (c) waiting until the last play to call a run.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ill take this type of win over last week. This is what builds teams for a Superbowl run. Especially with it coming against a team we couldnt beat recently. And started the same way again.

Down 16-0 until the 4th quarter?

This will do wonders for them going forward. Even Conner looked horrible today..caught up in the " we cant beat the Jags" mentality.

Look for him to bounce back next week. Broncos have a good pass rush but one of the worst against the run so we should be giving him the ball 25 times. Let him get that confidence back...have to remember hes only in his 2nd year.

Oh and Vance. Even Heath doesnt catch that TD pass. Thats two weeks in a row he made a ridiculous TD catch. Keep feeding that guy. Still not being used enough imo. When Brady cant find anyone he tosses it up to Gronk and lets him make the play. Vance can be that for us. Now just stay healthy.

Helluva win..after Ben looking horrible. This win will have them more fired up than the blowout against the Panthers. And builds character.

Got that feeling this year...

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I'm about as conservative as it gets with 2 point conversions. I hate chasing points. But it was the right call. It's about the feel of the game and we weren't creating anything. Low scoring, defensive games I actually believe you have to be more agressive, because you don't get too many opportunities. Making it a 1 score game there would have been huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad