OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Good Riddance, I say

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears, I come to bury Le'Veon Bell, not to praise him . . .

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Boy there really are some good S out there this offseason.

Mathieu
Thomas (injured I know)
Collins
Dix
Joyner

Why couldnt the CB and LB market look this good...

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
And with Bell gone. Do we resign Ridley or do we go for another Veteran RB to back him up. They have some decent ones there as well.

Yeldon
Ware

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Boy there really are some good S out there this offseason.

Mathieu
Thomas (injured I know)
Collins
Dix
Joyner

Why couldnt the CB and LB market look this good...

OLB looks pretty good too from what I understand.

I mentioned this is the other thread. It looks like the Steelers will have about 20-25M because of the Bell rollover money.

Burnett is under contract but can be released with little or no consequence. SO, you could upgrade there if you're thinking of running that big dime (3 CB, 3S) more regularly next year.

As for OLB, Dupree is under contract for a 9.5M cap hit. It is all salary, meaning he can be released with no dead money. I think Dupree is showing some improvement, but I don't see a 9.5M OLB. An upgrade is certainly possible.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And with Bell gone. Do we resign Ridley or do we go for another Veteran RB to back him up. They have some decent ones there as well.

Yeldon
Ware

I'm not sure you can't find a good backup RB in the 3rd round.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I mentioned this is the other thread. It looks like the Steelers will have about 20-25M because of the Bell rollover money.

Burnett is under contract but can be released with little or no consequence. SO, you could upgrade there if you're thinking of running that big dime (3 CB, 3S) more regularly next year.

As for OLB, Dupree is under contract for a 9.5M cap hit. It is all salary, meaning he can be released with no dead money. I think Dupree is showing some improvement, but I don't see a 9.5M OLB. An upgrade is certainly possible.

We'll see what happens the rest of year but I dont think they will want a big overhaul on defense especially if this group continues to gel...improve.

We have the cap space..so one year for Dupree at 9mil(and again..lets see how he does the rest of the year) wouldnt be bad. He certainly wouldnt get that much on a second contract if they chooose to stick with him. But with them not even giving Adeniyi a look in practice yet..I think they'll stick with Dupree unless they find a FA they like better.

The draft is deep at every position on D...so they could go any route. Sign the best FA at that position(rather than reaching for a lesser player at a position of bigger need) and draft what we didnt sign..is what I would do.

As for Burnett..give it time. Youll like him. Last game was the first time Edmunds played less than 50% of the snaps this year. Burnett is taking over. Hes the one I wanted in FA(after honey badger signed) ...due to versatility. Hes the one who could stop RBs like James White at or near the LOS. Preventing us from having to use Vince Williams on him all game.

Also gives us the option...if CB2 is still a huge problem towards the end of the season we could move Hilton to CB2 and Burnett to slot corner(where hes played before). Hilton is undersized but aggressive enough to handle the outside. That could be their plan...just need Burnett to get more games in. We'll see.

Bell not signing gives us more options in the offseason while Conner will continue to be on his rookie contract. We can really upgrade this D.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm not sure you can't find a good backup RB in the 3rd round.

Even in later rounds with Darren Hall and Qadree Ollison.

Theres not much out there in FA. Then again...who knows with our OLine. Just need a back thats instinctive with vision..the line will do the rest.

Reactions: KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It would be amazing if the owners all agreed to only offer him a 1 year prove it deal. See how good he is without a top o-line and a year removed.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Looking at 3/4 OLB any good ones I really dont see us getting.

Suggs - Age 36....most likely resign for a yr or retire with Baltimore and would never sign with us anyway.

Clay Matthew's - Most likely will resign with GB.

Clowney - most likely gets Franchise tagged. If not a bidding war will go for him.

Dee Ford - that young man is gonna get paidddddd.

Other than that.... everyone is pretty on par with Dupree.

Reactions: KIRK

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Even in later rounds with Darren Hall and Qadree Ollison.

Theres not much out there in FA. Then again...who knows with our OLine. Just need a back thats instinctive with vision..the line will do the rest.

I was talking about Ollison or Hall in the later rounds with friends. But which one?

Hall is the homerun speedy change of pace back. But Ollison isnt all that slow either and is bigger and is suited for more Carrie's.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It would be amazing if the owners all agreed to only offer him a 1 year prove it deal. See how good he is without a top o-line and a year removed.

:nod: They'd be better off just happening to offer him a 1 year prove it deal without any agreement. That way they'd avoid those claims of collusion.

Someone will offer him stupid, guaranteed money. It only takes one.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I feel like openly advocating for people to commit federal crimes is against site rules.

Last edited:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I was talking about Ollison or Hall in the later rounds with friends. But which one?

Hall is the homerun speedy change of pace back. But Ollison isnt all that slow either and is bigger and is suited for more Carrie's.

I think Hall is going to be real good. He's got decent size too. I can not and will not complain about the production of Ollison, but I do believe Hall is the better talent.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
636444561653434389-102217BengalsSteelersOT-14.jpg

"I feel like I'm dying alive. ... I don't feel comfortable here right now"

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i say draft Qadree Ollison in a later round for a long term RB tandem, but if they need a veteran for this postseason, why not try out CJ Anderson? i know the Panthers just cut him, but we wouldn't need him to get a lot of snaps. really just for stability if we are scared about Conner's concussion and the prospect of either Ridley or Samuels getting heavy work loads. idk

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I was over Lev Bell when he wasn't able to suit up for back to back playoff games. While those injures weren't really his fault, it was just an omen as to his general availability. Whether that was due to smoking weed or whatever the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
i say draft Qadree Ollison in a later round for a long term RB tandem, but if they need a veteran for this postseason, why not try out CJ Anderson? i know the Panthers just cut him, but we wouldn't need him to get a lot of snaps. really just for stability if we are scared about Conner's concussion and the prospect of either Ridley or Samuels getting heavy work loads. idk

I'm down to pick up CJ.

Reactions: domaug

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Good riddance to Bell. That's a $14M cap space coming back to us next season along with a 3rd round comp pick.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Bell and his agent are morons. I've said it forever now.

He'll be turning 27 about the time he signs a FA deal. 27. That is on the wrong end of the 20's for RB's. That's not sour grapes, that's not ill will. That's just f***ing reality.

I do think somebody will probably give him too much (Oakland, Jets, Texans) but he now needs 30+ mil guaranteed to even come close to not losing out big time since he just pissed away 14.5 guaranteed.

And why would any logical team spend that kind of money on him?

1. He's almost 27. Look at the track record of RB's in their late 20's and beyond. Very, very few are successful stories. Certainly few when you factor in how much he wants.

2. He's got a long injury history. Getting older and having a fragile label ain't a good combo.

3. He's been suspended by the league twice. One more f*** up from losing half a season or more minimum.

4. Commitment to football in question? Certainly a fair question.

5. James Conner has come in and done everything (and more in some ways) that Bell has ever done, for a literal fraction of the cost. A 3rd round RB is having an All Pro season in his first year running with the same team Bell did, and the Steelers are winning and their offense, especially in the red zone is producing better than at any point with Bell. Why would a team want to pay Bell tens of millions guaranteed when they can more likely find a suitable back in the draft, for pennies on the dollar comparatively speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad