OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'd say Steelers and Ravens are on the same level. They're far and away the top 2 contendors to win the division.
And if history is any indication, it is unlikely that Lamar Jackson will duplicate his 2019 season.

Cinci and Cle can have all the Heisman winners. They're not gonna do anything with them.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Just like you said they were the best in the NFL at their positions. So they were obviously worth the money.
Bills offered a 1st for AB but AB refused to play there. He lowered his own trade value so he could control where he goes.
Trading away a prime Bell on a rookie contract is stupid and illogical. They wanted to keep him, and rightfully so.

You are a serial complainer. If they trade away Bell you would be saying "Steelers don't care about winning they're losers". If they try to sign Bell you say "they're incompetent didn't even get a 2nd for him".

You don't understand the situation with the team yet you complain about everything, while spamming the message boards with your nonsense.
I have SouthGeorge blocked, but I know a SouthGeorge rant when I see it.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Ravens have been killing the draft for years now. Still haven’t won a playoff game in over five years.

Jackson has lost his first two playoff games now, let’s not act like he has no experience there.

And the last time the Steelers played him, he tossed three picks, got out played by MR and it took a Juju fumble to save the Ravens.

Why exactly should I be afraid of him?

Then they owned us with our season on the line with back-ups...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd say Steelers and Ravens are on the same level. They're far and away the top 2 contendors to win the division.
And if history is any indication, it is unlikely that Lamar Jackson will duplicate his 2019 season.

Cinci and Cle can have all the Heisman winners. They're not gonna do anything with them.

Steelers and Ravens have dominated the division for 20 years.

It’s no accident that since ‘96 when the Ravens came into the league... the Steelers have drafted the fifth most Pro Bowlers (23) and the Ravens the third most (25).

Big difference is the Ravens have had eight top ten picks since then and the Steelers have had one (Bush pick was a trade).

Steelers have also drafted the most 1000 yard receivers in that time.

Seems like they are doing something right... made all the more remarkable that they haven’t had the benefit of any premium picks like the Ravens.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Then they owned us with our season on the line with back-ups...

Uh, with Duck man as their QB. Literally the worst QB I’ve ever seen start for this franchise.

The same guy who couldn’t break 90 yards the week before agt the bad ass Jets.

If Duck Hodges is their QB again, I’ll not only fear the Ravens, but any team playing their second or third string QB.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The Ravens needed a JuJu fumble in OT to beat the Steelers with MR at QB and then beat them when they had literally the worst QB I’ve ever witnessed as a Steelers fan. Hodges made me wish for the glory days of Kent Graham.

Guys like Jackson eventually get figured out by this league if they don’t evolve into traditional passers. If he was like Mahomes, I’d be way more concerned.

If Roth is healthy the Ravens aren’t anymore of a challenge than they have ever been over the years. If Roth is done, then it doesn’t really matter anyway.
I see where you’re coming from and hope you’re right, but people thought Lamar would struggle last year and what’d he do? Oh just go 14-2.

They’ll come back to earth a bit. The Steelers followed up 15-1 with a 7-5 start.... granted, they won out and won the SB. But they have to be favorites in the division.

Gotta watch out for Cleveland too. They have the talent and they can’t suck forever.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I see where you’re coming from and hope you’re right, but people thought Lamar would struggle last year and what’d he do? Oh just go 14-2.

They’ll come back to earth a bit. The Steelers followed up 15-1 with a 7-5 start.... granted, they won out and won the SB. But they have to be favorites in the division.

Gotta watch out for Cleveland too. They have the talent and they can’t suck forever.

Just to get it out of the way, people have been telling me for 20 years the Browns can’t suck forever... look at all these high picks they are collecting... and it always ends the same.

So I’ll wait until they actually do something before I believe it.

The Ravens are a different story and I respect them, but once again, their last playoff victory was 2015.

Jackson is another run first QB... first it was Cunningham who was declared “a new wave QB the league had never seen!”

Then it was Kordell... then Vick... and RG3...

When has a run first QB won a SB?

The league gets burned by the best run first guys for a couple years, then the D coordinators pick up all of their tendencies and figure them out over time.

So no the Ravens aren’t the Patriots, Jackson isn’t Mahomes and no, I don’t have any fear of them.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Just to get it out of the way, people have been telling me for 20 years the Browns can’t suck forever... look at all these high picks they are collecting... and it always ends the same.

So I’ll wait until they actually do something before I believe it.

The Ravens are a different story and I respect them, but once again, their last playoff victory was 2015.

Jackson is another run first QB... first it was Cunningham who was declared “a new wave QB the league had never seen!”

Then it was Kordell... then Vick... and RG3...

When has a run first QB won a SB?

The league gets burned by the best run first guys for a couple years, then the D coordinators pick up all of their tendencies and figure them out over time.

So no the Ravens aren’t the Patriots, Jackson isn’t Mahomes and no, I don’t have any fear of them.
Lamar Jackson THREW 36 TDs to 6 INTs last season. Absolute looney tunes numbers. Think that production will fade too? Maybe some, but hell... Ben never threw that many in a season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lamar Jackson THREW 36 TDs to 6 INTs last season. Absolute looney tunes numbers. Think that production will fade too? Maybe some, but hell... Ben never threw that many in a season.

Stats... cool.

All Roth did his second year was win a SB after setting a league record winning three playoff games on the road.

Cunningham threw up 30 TD with 950 rushing yards in 1990 and set a league record... he was where the league was going... the future of QBs, etc etc.

He was a phenom and this and that... year after year... scariest guy in the league, robble robble... then the playoffs started...

3-6... yep.

Jackson is on the same path so far.

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I dont know if Lamar will or will not keep up the pace he set this yr.

But the fact him, ingram, and Edward's along with solid Oline play had such a scary respectable run game teams had to respect it.

That thinned out then backfield and their TEs and WRs arent exactly pushovers. They did what they had to do to get open making easy throws, or they'd win contested catches.

But it all stemmed for having a run game teams had to respect.

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The steelers meanwhile had no real consistent threat at RB.

So they would just stack the 2ndary double cover JuJu and dare Duck and Rudolph to win thru the air.

Then on top of having meh to awful QB play we would have WRs dropping the ball...

Looking at you Moncrief and Holton....

Reactions: domaug

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
running backs are disposable in this league because of the amount of wear and tear on their bodies. why would anyone not expect lamar jackson to face similar issues running that much? it simply isnt sustainable to get hit that often.

Reactions: Khelandros

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The biggest difference between organizations like the Ravens and the Pats compared to the Steelers is how they are able to adapt and play to the strengths of their players, or draft and acquire the right players to fit their particular systems.

The Ravens lost Slo Flacco, a lumbering pocket passer, and replaced him with a run first, dynamic Jackson. Already having a solid run game, they made some tweaks here and there to allow Jackson to do his thing. Stretch defense out laterally with his legs, run option plays, take shots down the field when they are there, etc. They’ve built a system that works for them much like New England has.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The biggest difference between organizations like the Ravens and the Pats compared to the Steelers is how they are able to adapt and play to the strengths of their players, or draft and acquire the right players to fit their particular systems.

The Ravens lost Slo Flacco, a lumbering pocket passer, and replaced him with a run first, dynamic Jackson. Already having a solid run game, they made some tweaks here and there to allow Jackson to do his thing. Stretch defense out laterally with his legs, run option plays, take shots down the field when they are there, etc. They’ve built a system that works for them much like New England has.

And yet the Steelers have 3x as many playoff wins as the Ravens since 2015.

Most of us here rail on Tomlin’s failures in the playoffs (with good reason), yet some of you are defying logic and being hypocritical with Harbaugh and the Ravens.

All the Ravens have done the last five years is not win a single playoff game and are coming off one of the most embarrassing playoff defeats in recent memory.

That’s a simple reality check.

Reactions: Rave7215

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

Most of us here rail on Tomlin’s failures in the playoffs (with good reason), yet some of you are defying logic and being hypocritical with Harbaugh and the Ravens.

All the Ravens have done the last five years is not win a single playoff game and have one of the most embarrassing playoff defeats in recent memory.

If the Patriots didn't exist, the Steelers would be the most successful NFL franchise since the 2002 realignment. This fact is often lost because everyone sees the Patriots success and thinks "That should be us."

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The steelers meanwhile had no real consistent threat at RB.

So they would just stack the 2ndary double cover JuJu and dare Duck and Rudolph to win thru the air.

Then on top of having meh to awful QB play we would have WRs dropping the ball...

Looking at you Moncrief and Holton....

We've added a Maryland RB since then :banana:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA

All the Ravens have done the last five years is not win a single playoff game and are coming off one of the most embarrassing playoff defeats in recent memory.

Not disagreeing with the facts, but it’s undeniable that Tomlin has had the better talent, hands down, and has still managed to screw the pooch year in and year out. Tomlin fanboys can argue till they’re blue in the face but there is no denying that the superior talent that he has had has literally carried and willed the team to wins when his gameplan went to shit. So often did we see this team stumble and bumble through games, seemingly having no direction or coherent game plan, only to see the stars pull something miraculous out of their asses in the final minutes, playing backyard football.

Coaches like Harbaugh and Bellichick have had success with far less talent through the years, and the Ravens ALWAYS give the Steelers trouble because of Harbaugh’s coaching.

Im not crowning Baltimore the champs right now, but there’s no denying that they are getting much better in the skill department and still have solid coaching.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not disagreeing with the facts, but it’s undeniable that Tomlin has had the better talent, hands down, and has still managed to screw the pooch year in and year out. Tomlin fanboys can argue till they’re blue in the face but there is no denying that the superior talent that he has had has literally carried and willed the team to wins when his gameplan went to shit. So often did we see this team stumble and bumble through games, seemingly having no direction or coherent game plan, only to see the stars pull something miraculous out of their asses in the final minutes, playing backyard football.

Coaches like Harbaugh and Bellichick have had success with far less talent through the years, and the Ravens ALWAYS give the Steelers trouble because of Harbaugh’s coaching.

Im not crowning Baltimore the champs right now, but there’s no denying that they are getting much better in the skill department and still have solid coaching.

I'm not going to defend Tomlin, because I've been quite honest over the years how I feel about him.

However, there is a lot of nonsense in here since the draft about how we should fear a team that needed a JuJu OT fumble to beat the Steelers with MR and the second time with Duck f***ing Hodges.

This is also a team that hasn't won a playoff game in five years, which is a cold hard fact that I'l keep reminding people of until it sinks in.

The facts aren't aligning with this odd fear people are conjuring up about the Ravens.

The Ravens have always been a thorn in their side, but being afraid of them is so asinine it makes me laugh my balls off.

Frankly, I was more afraid of a Flacco lead Ravens squad than a Jackson one. Flacco always found a way to make plays at the right time and put up 25 Td vs only 11 picks agt them.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I'm not going to defend Tomlin, because I've been quite honest over the years how I feel about him.

However, there is a lot of nonsense in here since the draft about how we should fear a team that needed a JuJu OT fumble to beat the Steelers with MR and the second time with Duck f***ing Hodges.

This is also a team that hasn't won a playoff game in five years, which is a cold hard fact that I'l keep reminding people of until it sinks in.

The facts aren't aligning with this odd fear people are conjuring up about the Ravens.

The Ravens have always been a thorn in their side, but being afraid of them is so asinine it makes me laugh my balls off.

Frankly, I was more afraid of a Flacco lead Ravens squad than a Jackson one. Flacco always found a way to make plays at the right time and put up 25 Td vs only 11 picks agt them.
I don’t think anyone is “afraid” of them, just noting that they are getting better (albeit on paper) through good drafting and FA signings, while the Steelers continue to bumble around year in and year out.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
We pretty much split the Ravens every year. Without taking 10 seconds to look it up, I’m fairly certain our win-loss is almost even.

Don’t fear the Ravens, p***yes. Our overall team is comparable and our defense is better. If the offense can actually chew some clock this year and not just turn it over with horrid field position, we’ll be just fine.

Reactions: Khelandros

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

This is debatable. Baltimore, on average, has had superior defensive talent than the Steelers. When Pittsburgh had more talent on Offense, their Defense was pretty abysmal. Baltimore's defense has never been bad. When both have had good offense AND Defense they've won super bowls.
I'm going to ignore the Bellichick comment. He's had the greatest QB to ever play the game and plethora of talent surrounding him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t think anyone is “afraid” of them, just noting that they are getting better (albeit on paper) through good drafting and FA signings, while the Steelers continue to bumble around year in and year out.

Two pages back a poster said he was afraid of them and asked why I’m not, which has lead to this discussion.

I don’t see the Steelers bumbling around anymore than the Ravens TBTH.

Harbaugh, even though I think he’s a better coach than Tomlin, he was on his way out before he got Jackson.

Since then he’s still not won a playoff game and just put up the worst playoff defeat in Ravens history.

Is that not bumbling things or do we have a different definition for Harbaugh than we do Tomlin?

The Steelers rebuilt their D both through savvy signings and the draft... Nelson was a phenomenal signing and so was Haden.

Now they look to have a dominant D again.

They also added a freak WR and Ebron to the offense, to go along with a guy like DJ who will be a big break out guy IMHO if Roth stays healthy.

I’m not sure what else you expect for a team that has been the most competitive in the league for the last 20 years aside from the Pats.

They don’t have the benefit of high picks and yet they still keep finding pro bowlers and high quality starters.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

The Steelers are the most improved team in the division and it is not even close.

The gap between Rothlisberger and the crap that they threw out there as QB all year last year is so much more vast than anything the others faced in the division. Getting him back is everything for the coming year which will be played in empty stadiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad