OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Claypool > Metcalf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Literally everyone else was saying we need a deep threat to complement AB. That's why everyone was happy to see Martavis emerge. Everyone was happy to see Juju as a "big" target. Ben was asking for a big WR since Plex and Heath left.

Maybe but I was killed on here for suggesting we needed a deep threat in Bens final window opposed to trying to hit the lottery with another AB again.

“Got a deep threat that will need 10 seconds to get down the field :banana:

“I would have taken Dobbins. Albert O will have a better career than Claypool“

That was my initial response because I had no clue who he was. After watching highlights I was glad they finally got a deep threat and gave up on the JW project. I was team Claypool day 2 not Week 5 like all these yinzers buying his jersey now ;)

Reactions: xlm34

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
but Pittsburgh has had a slew of “take the top off” guys over the years and haven’t won shit with them... (see Mike Wallace)

They were a lot better offense then. They got away with it for years because AB was the best in the league. No AB, they need one.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just had a look at the Steelers recent wide receiver draft picks. A lot of skill over the past two decades.

1998 - Hines Ward (3rd Round) (Super Bowl Wins, MVP)
2000 - Plaxico Burress (1st Round) (Super Bowl Win)
2002 - Antwaan Randle-El (2nd Round) (Super Bowl Win)
2005 - Nate Washington (Undrafted Free Agent) (Super Bowl Wins)
2006 - Santonio Holmes (1st Round) (Super Bowl Win, MVP)
2009 - Mike Wallace (3rd Round) (Super Bowl Appearance)
2010 - Antonio Brown (6th Round) (Super Bowl Appearance)
2010 - Emmanuel Sanders (3rd Round) (Super Bowl Appearance)
2014 - Martavis Bryant (4th Round)
2017 - Juju Smith-Schuster (2nd Round) (?)
2018 - James Washington (2nd Round) (?)
2019 - Dionte Johnson (3rd Round) (?)
2020 - Chase Claypool (2nd Round) (?)

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Is Western PA the Mecca of football? Everybody talks about Texas and Florida. They pump out a lot of NFL players. But I'm talking big picture and Pittsburgh ties. The great players, coaches, and if you are drafted by the Steelers the odds are in your favor. You go to some Texas or Florida team and the odds are your career is over.

I mean look at this beast... Arguably the best player in football for a few years now.

Reactions: That1Kid

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Tomlin seems reluctant to to give ClaypooL any credit. Leads me to think maybe Claypool wasn’t his guy in the draft. Maybe Colbert decided to give Ben the big WR he’s been wanting since Plax.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Mine's on the way from DHGate in the next month to a year.

:laugh:

I've gone to DHGate because I like the customization. I missed out and wanted DMR patch on Steelers jersey and City of Champions on a Pens. From my experience... Hockey, Soccer, and College football you cannot tell the difference. NFL is horrible though. For some reason they cannot figure out how to do the sleeves. They are brutal and totally wrong fabric. You will have to show us what yours looks like when you get it.

Tomlin seems reluctant to to give ClaypooL any credit. Leads me to think maybe Claypool wasn’t his guy in the draft. Maybe Colbert decided to give Ben the big WR he’s been wanting since Plax.

You might be right. Claypool only got a chance because DJ got injured. They want DJ to pan out so bad. Now that you mention it.. DJ was probably a Tomlin pick.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah that irked me too. Also shows how much of a petulant twat Mr standard is the standard, is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh:

I've gone to DHGate because I like the customization. I missed out and wanted DMR patch on Steelers jersey and City of Champions on a Pens. From my experience... Hockey, Soccer, and College football you cannot tell the difference. NFL is horrible though. For some reason they cannot figure out how to do the sleeves. They are brutal and totally wrong fabric. You will have to show us what yours looks like when you get it.

You might be right. Claypool only got a chance because DJ got injured. They want DJ to pan out so bad. Now that you mention it.. DJ was probably a Tomlin pick.
Absolutely. Look at how DJ was being used. Tomlin isn't a fan of JUJU and Chase.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just had a look at the Steelers recent wide receiver draft picks. A lot of skill over the past two decades.

1999 - Hines Ward (3rd Round) (Super Bowl Wins, MVP)

Thats crazy. Now just imagine if we could have been just as half as good as that with DBs. That was our downfall. The years we had great teams , usually drafted well at every position besides that. We still cant pick them. Or a combo of drafting them and developing.

Other teams have to take a WR early in the first to get the type of production we get out of ours Tho. It does allow us to not overpay them.

Juju will likely be the next WR we let go who has a great career. Still only 23 years old and this is his 4th season. I know we have Claypool, DJ, and even JW will get better when he gets more targets(hes only had 130 targets so far in his career for 80 catches over 1000 yards and 5 TDs, which is usually the amount of targets a top WR gets in one season. So hes done well with what hes been given). And we can keep drafting WRs. But I feel like Juju is someone you keep long term. I would find a way to pay him the money. Hes a huge reason that Claypool had the room he did yesterday. He is basically a RB at WR. And we are going to be losing Ben soon, so we should keep all 4 WRs for our next QB. Helping them settle in easier. DJ is also an injury risk due to his size and the way he plays. Already two concussions.

We also have to factor in that Ben helped develop.these WRs all these years. You have to be able to be accurate enough to give them a chance. Who says our next QB does that?

I would at least franchise Juju if we cant workout a deal. Maybe by the following year we will know we will be fine without him. Also, by having 4 reliable WRs, it allows the QB to spread the ball around. Not only helping our offense but keeping the numbers down for these guys so they dont get 15-20 mil a year contracts. Instead re-signing them at 8 to 12 a year at most.

Besides, these next few drafts need to be OL heavy as well as finding another ILB and OLB. Best chances for that is 1st thru 3rd rounds. I would say DB as well but we are so bad at picking them, it will just be a wasted pick. We will have to keep trading for them or signing them.

We could trade WRs for CBs in similar situations..that could work. When Colbert decides which WR he isnt going to keep(choosing Brown over Wallace for example...then letting Sanders go) we should just move them for a DB who is just as good or on his way to becoming as good. To a team that is DB heavy and needs WR. We could draft a WR every year from here on out just for the sake of planning on trading for another key position lol.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Absolutely. Look at how DJ was being used. Tomlin isn't a fan of JUJU and Chase.

I don't know if he likes him that much if he keeps putting him out there on kicking duties to get killed when we have Ray Ray. I thought he was just getting all the looks because he's the highly touted "X"

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Juju will likely be the next WR we let go who has a great career. Still only 23 years old and this is his 4th season. I know we have Claypool, DJ, and even JW will get better when he gets more targets(hes only had 130 targets so far in his career for 80 catches over 1000 yards and 5 TDs, which is usually the amount of targets a top WR gets in one season. So hes done well with what hes been given). And we can keep drafting WRs. But I feel like Juju is someone you keep longterm. Just pay him the money. Hes a huge reason that Claypool had the room he did yesterday. And we are going to be losing Ben, so we should keep all 4 WRs for our next QB. Helping them settle in easier.

I was thinking about that today. Juju has said he would take a hometown discount and I'm not even sure if that would be worth it in a capped league. Obviously he's worth every penny off the field as far as brand ambassador, he produces on the field, and great team player/selfless(so far) I just think JW would be a better player in Juju's role. That's where JW needs to be. Not saying he would be better than Juju right away. But that's where he needs to be to succeed. So from a cap perspective. I think the offense wouldn't miss a beat without Juju and JW in his role. So how can you justify giving Juju all the money when we still need to pay Watt and Minkah. It's a tough decision.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Tough to read much into who's being used as the primary kick/punt returner. DJ did well last year as a returner, and already has a TD called back this year, IIRC. Tomlin used AB on returns even though he was the best WR in the game.

As far as cap goes, they can backload new contracts with Ben coming off the books in mind.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I was thinking about that today. Juju has said he would take a hometown discount and I'm not even sure if that would be worth it in a capped league. Obviously he's worth every penny off the field as far as brand ambassador, he produces on the field, and great team player/selfless(so far) I just think JW would be a better player in Juju's role. That's where JW needs to be. Not saying he would be better than Juju right away. But that's where he needs to be to succeed. So from a cap perspective. I think the offense wouldn't miss a beat without Juju and JW in his role. So how can you justify giving Juju all the money when we still need to pay Watt and Minkah. It's a tough decision.

Yeah I def get all of that. Its true. And if Ben was still in his prime I would completely agree. I am just worried about when he leaves. We would be much better off with these 4 WRs if we have someone like Sam Darnold replacing Ben...as opposed to being down to 3 WRs(then if one gets hurt we are in even worse shape). And I am factoring in DJ being injury prone. There were years we were fine with just two solid WRs but again...that was with Ben. So to me, its more about the timing of the situation. I wish Juju had one more year so we could have a better idea.

And btw, if we go one more year not having JW put up great numbers then we can def keep him at around 6mil or so on his next deal. He would then take off when given more targets. And By then we will also know what QB replaces Ben.

I also love having 4 due to the injury factor. Whether one is injury prone or not we had plenty of playoffs ruined due to injuries at WR and RB.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
DJ was a heralded returner out of college and did great last year. Much like AB, I’m sure he’ll continue to be used.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh

1998 - Hines Ward (3rd Round) (Super Bowl Wins, MVP)

We have also done very well at linebacker recently even after the Steel Curtain...

1987 - Greg Lloyd (Round 6) (Super Bowl Appearance)
1992 - Levon Kirkland (Round 2) (Super Bowl Appearance)
1993 - Chad Brown (Round 2) (Super Bowl Appearance)
1994 - Jason Gildon (Round 3) (Super Bowl Appearance)
1996 - Earl Holmes (Round 4)
1996 - Carlos Emmons (Round 7)
1997 - Mike Vrabel (Round 3)
1999 - Joey Porter (Round 3) (Super Bowl Wins)
2000 - Clark Haggans (Round 5) (Super Bowl Win)
2001 - Kendrell Bell (Round 2) (Defensive Rookie of the Year)
2002 - Larry Foote (Round 4) (Super Bowl Wins)
2002 - James Harrison (Free Agent) (Super Bowl Wins) (Defensive Player of the Year)
2007 - LaMarr Woodley (Round 2) (Super Bowl Win)
2007 - Lawrence Timmons (Round 1) (Super Bowl Win)
2010 - Jason Worilds (Round 2) (Super Bowl Appearance)
2013 - Jarvis Jones (Round 1)
2013 - Vince Williams (Round 6) (?)
2014 - Ryan Shazier (Round 1)
2015 - Bud Dupree (Round 1) (?)
2017 - T.J. Watt (Round 1) (?)
2019 - Devin Bush (Round 1) (?)
2020 - Alex Highsmith (Round 3) (?)

And one Honorary Linebacker:

2003 - Troy Polamalu (Round 1) (Super Bowl Wins) (Defensive Player of the Year) (GOAT)

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad