The Philadelphia Flyers are a top 5 team in the league

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Konecny has been impressive to me. Coaching along with their young "prospects" not being prospects anymore

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
The elevation of Konecny is a huge reason. The kid plays with fire and is surely rubbing off on the rest of team.
Thank goodness the Leafs aren't in the metro...

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
This is all correct but I would add if Hart continues to grow and be the goalie we think he is, that could be a real game changer for the Flyers....the other youngsters have come online and played for the most part very well...Phillip Myers, Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee along Hart have all been solid additions thus far.
I've been a fan since the early 70's and I'm enjoying watching this team play. I hate comparing players but if Hart can be remotely close as his boyhood idol, Carey Price, then the Flyers have a homegrown goalie for the 1st time since Pelle Lindbergh (I know Hextall had a couple of good seasons but he never seemed the same after his rookie season). The young guys like Myers, Frost and Farabee look great, it kind of reminds me of the '85 team with all of the young players. With Myers play, it might make Ghost a trading chip! Still lots of games left in the year, but so far it's looked good.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good team but like the Islanders a step slow, will hurt them come playoff time.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I hate comparing players but if Hart can be remotely close as his boyhood idol, Carey Price, then the Flyers have a homegrown goalie for the 1st time since Pelle Lindbergh (I know Hextall had a couple of good seasons but he never seemed the same after his rookie season).
One thing that is likely to be largely conincidental that I haven't seen mentioned is that for 13 of the past 15 Stanley Cup winners the goalie who played the majority of games was drafted or signed (Niemi) by the organization. One of the two who was with a different organization is Tim Thomas who had played with the Bruins for almost a decade.

Don't know if the board has any sociologists/organizational experts, but perhaps there is some in-group solidarity that makes this more than coincidental.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Low production from star players isn't equal to below average performance... it's all related to the system.

To an extent yeah, i agree. It's not to say they've been bad or anything. But at the same time i think we can agree that said players haven't been super hot either. If Konecny can score PPG so far, guys like Giroux and Voracek can do better than pace for 60 point seasons or Hayes/JvR, regardless of system, should have the ability to the better than 0.5PPG.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Wait until the Flyers fully play Vigneault's game plan to 100%. It worked well when NYR played a hybrid between Torts and Vigneault. When they fully played like Vigneault wanted, it was a total mess defensively.

Vigneault has always been a great regular season coach, he’s good in the playoffs the first couple of years but eventually starts making questionable decisions and becomes ineffective.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Many changes to a good roster finally bringing out talent we frustratingly knew was present but getting suppressed by bad coaching.

...and dumping talent that wasn't present, despite being waterboarded to believe they were good by the front office (Re: Andrew MacDonald.)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not surprised in the slightest. They had a talented 2018-19 roster that was being bogged down by very poor coaching and suspect depth. Fletcher rectified that over the offseason. Some good vets, some very promising youth, and some really decent supporting players.

Honestly wouldn't be shocked at all to see them in the ECF this year.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Woah. Was not aware they have been doing that well. Thought they were in the middle somewhere.

Other factors are helping and Philly fans will chime in. But I think Youngblood of Frost and Farabee have injected some serious skill and talent onto their roster.

Main reasons:

1. Alain Vigneault is head and shoulders better as a coach than Dave Hakstol was. Better system, better lineups.

2. Defense and Goaltending is better. Last year through 28 games the Flyers gave up 101 goals. This season, 79. Hart and Elliott have been good. Hagg and McDonald are not in the lineup every game. Scoring is about the same, 91 goals this year vs. 86 last year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They are also 4 points away from not being in a playoff spot. There is a big fat middle. A team on a 5 game win streak is BARELY out in front. They lose two game they are right back in the middle. Premature thread.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They are also 4 points away from not being in a playoff spot. There is a big fat middle. A team on a 5 game win streak is BARELY out in front. They lose two game they are right back in the middle. Premature thread.

Uh, 7 points, unless the second wild card team no longer makes the playoffs. They also have games in hand and two tiebreakers on the first two teams outside the picture. So, actually, 8 points. Four wins.

If they lose two and every single team behind them wins two, they're still in the first WC. There's literally only four teams in the NHL who are farther above the cutoff line than they are, hence being 5th in the league, so nothing really premature there.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatTugboatFlahr

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Thought Konecny was a great pick in 2015, glad to see he's panning out

How did y'all get Niskanen for Gudas again? That one baffled me

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Thought Konecny was a great pick in 2015, glad to see he's panning out

How did y'all get Niskanen for Gudas again? That one baffled me

Retained a million on Gudas. Capitals got over $4 million in much-needed cap space and got a decent third-pairing RHD on the side, the Flyers got a veteran top-4 RHD that they also badly needed. Solid trade for both teams.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Good to see Yeo being part of something positive after what happened in STL. He seemed like a good guy, just wasn’t working out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad