GM search thread - all news and discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
JD was fired because he refused to fire Gorton. It wasn’t like he wasn’t on board with this change in team philosophy

What did he do in NY? Does he get credit for drafting Rempe? (Rempe may be kind of a joke, but he has been a spark.) I doubt he had much to do with that. He had a GM who built a soft team and wouldn’t get rid of him. So he got fired. Since then, the team has shown more toughness and fortitude.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think there is any candidate out there who meets all 3 of the following criteria:
1. Has experience as an NHL GM;
2. Is available and interested; and
3. Does not have blemishes on his track record.

You have guys like Tulsky who meet #2 and #3. You have guys like McFarland who may meet #1 and #3 but maybe not #2. And you have guys like Holland who meet #1 and #2.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Holland has drafted poorly at Edmonton and the draft is the only way Columbus can add elite talent. If you are picking 22, you can more easily excuse misses. But this team figures to be picking in the top 10 for at least the next 3 years so draft success is not optional.
Maybe we should focus on developing all the top 10 picks we have now correctly and worry about the future picks later on.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I don't think there is any candidate out there who meets all 3 of the following criteria:
1. Has experience as an NHL GM;
2. Is available and interested; and
3. Does not have blemishes on his track record.

You have guys like Tulsky who meet #2 and #3. You have guys like McFarland who may meet #1 and #3 but maybe not #2. And you have guys like Holland who meet #1 and #2.
Unless Jim Nill wants JD's job.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Good news for people anti-Holland: 32TP again talked about the GM job this morning (and once again phrased it as the coaching search. Someone really needs to tell the producer it’s GM.) and holland was not brought up once. They just threw cold water on Bergevin again (although said we spoke with him) and that we wanted to talk to Gorton but were denied. That we still wanted to talk to people.

Doesn’t necessarily mean Holland isn’t happening but if it was seen as a slam dunk, as it was kinda hinted at yesterday, they would have addressed it.

He also mentioned Don Waddell from Carolina and seemed to imply we wanted someone with a lot of experience

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Holland has drafted poorly at Edmonton and the draft is the only way Columbus can add elite talent. If you are picking 22, you can more easily excuse misses. But this team figures to be picking in the top 10 for at least the next 3 years so draft success is not optional.
Do you think he rates players at 22ish in the top 5 or 10? Get beyond the top 5, usually, and the hit rate drops dramatically. I don't expect ANY General Manager to consistently draft top pair or top line talent in the 20's. I don't see Holland as a guy that would be way off the board of sets drafting high in the next few years

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm still waiting for specifics on why they are bad coaches. Because boll was a grinder when he played in the NHL isn't a reason he's a bad coach.

Often times great players make terrible coaches.
I don’t have a reason to have an issue with Boll. I think it’s pretty hard to tell the impact he’s having, positively or negatively.

McCarthy I think is a different story. He certainly seems to be a far cry from Shaw, but maybe that is making us view him unfairly. That said, we haven’t really seen any young defenseman take a big step under him. But maybe those guys (Bean, Peeke, etc) just aren’t that good of players.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
. Its really hard to deny that Edmonton isn’t a drastically better constructed team then when he took over .. and there’s been some bad luck ..
This means for someone who doesn't want Holland that the improvements are in spite of Holland. Sheer luck or the result of someone else. For someone who wants Holland, of course this improvement is solely because the Oilers hired Holland.

Take your pick!

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I don’t have a reason to have an issue with Boll. I think it’s pretty hard to tell the impact he’s having, positively or negatively.

McCarthy I think is a different story. He certainly seems to be a far cry from Shaw, but maybe that is making us view him unfairly. That said, we haven’t really seen any young defenseman take a big step under him. But maybe those guys (Bean, Peeke, etc) just aren’t that good of players.
Peeke alone is a pretty damning case against McCarthy. He looked competent as a defenseman under Shaw and earned a contract (though we did overpay him a bit). Then--and okay, this isn't really McCarthy's fault--with the pandemic tax squad nonsense and Larsen's system, he tanked hard to the point by this past winter he was regarded a negative asset. And then he goes to Boston, a team with a functional system and good d-coach and suddenly looks like a competent NHL defenseman again.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

To be fair, I think most guys would be a far cry from Shaw. We're gonna be trying to replace him with a competent replacement for awhile.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm still waiting for specifics on why they are bad coaches. Because boll was a grinder when he played in the NHL isn't a reason he's a bad coach.

Often times great players make terrible coaches.
And I'm still waiting for specifics as to what makes them good coaches? What prospect development have we seen that has made any one of us think "damn, this staff sure knows what they're doing!" ?????

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As another poster mentioned, Panarin and Fox forced their way to NYC. No other team in the NHL will have the benefit of something like that in their rebuild,
We got Gaudreau. I don't expect we're getting the Fox-equivalent to magically show up anytime soon, but crazy things do happen.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Here's a possibility: don't automatically assume they're terrible in the absence of evidence in either direction.

I’d prefer that we would cast a wider net than former Blue Jackets when we hire. Boll, Dorsett, Nash … I don’t look forward to the day when Roslovic is hired as a development coach.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I want a GM who will bring in a competent goalie and an experienced coach
I’m tired of being a training ground for rookie coaches

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Here's a possibility: don't automatically assume they're terrible in the absence of evidence in either direction.
Exactly, this is all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that they are good coaches, I just want to know what exactly makes them a bad coach?
I’d prefer that we would cast a wider net than former Blue Jackets when we hire. Boll, Dorsett, Nash … I don’t look forward to the day when Roslovic is hired as a development coach.
I mean I agree, but just because they were ex CBJ guys doesn't mean that they weren't good choices.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
How does everyone feel about Jared Bednar as a coach? I mean, I'm no PV apologist but I can't even imagine this board after Bednar's first year as head coach getting all of 48 points and that includes having players like McKinnon, Landeskog and Duchene. I'd say they all turned out OK. I don't get the narrative of play the kids more if they aren't capable of taking on those minutes. That's not development, that's possible career killing and delays growth. I'd actually like to see PV with a normal off season and to see if there is any continuity next year. I don't think that wastes a year. If he's Todd Richards bad, he's gone early. We can't keep changing systems and coaches.

Now I do agree with the assistants. I'm not a McCarthy fan nor a Rechi fan. Both units need an influx of ability from coaches. There is enough talent on this team the D and PP should not be as problematic.

Just my opinion and I know many of you don't agree. No worry from my end. If there are changes...fine. If not, I'm truly OK with that too.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Do me a favor. Go take a look at the Blue Jackets website, look at all the front office and coaching personnel, count up the total number of folks, then count the number of those that are former Blue Jackets, figure out the ratio, and get back to us. Bonus points if you do something similar for other teams in the League.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Do me a favor. Go take a look at the Blue Jackets website, look at all the front office and coaching personnel, count up the total number of folks, then count the number of those that are former Blue Jackets, figure out the ratio, and get back to us. Bonus points if you do something similar for other teams in the League.

Considering we have only been around for about twenty years, and pretty much have only been able to hire ex Jackets for 10-15 years, I don’t see the point in such a comparison.

I have met Dorsett and he was working with high school and lower level hockey before the Jackets. I have no problem with his hire. But Boll and Nash don’t make any sense to me.

Nash has been gifted a chance to learn about management. To me it has been too easy for him, and I wonder what he is really learning. If he wanted to work in a front office, he should have started at the bottom like other people do. He is like the boss's son at a firm where the boss brings him and figures the kid will learn the business by attending high level meetings, but the kid never learns the lessons his father learned working his way up, so the kid is a disaster when he takes over.

If we want to compare ourselves to Detroit for example, where a former player is GM, that former player left the franchise for several years and demonstrated he had the skills elsewhere before they named him GM. Also, the Detroit team that produced GMs like Yzerman and Shanahan, actually won playoff games and Stanley Cups, where as the CBJ have won 1 playoff series in our existence. Unless we are producing executives by teaching people what not to do, I don’t think Columbus is a place to look for hockey expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad