The Philadelphia Flyers are a top 5 team in the league

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2019-12-4_23-30-16.png

I was surprised to see this, didn't realize how well they'd been playing lately. What's got them going?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
They always seem to start slow, they just righted this ship much sooner this year. I think they have a very good team and could make some noise come playoffs. The Metro is beasting this year. Five of the top six teams in the Eastern conference are in the Metro.

EasternGPWLOTPTSRWROWGFGADIFFHOMEAWAYS/OL10STRK
1 Washington30214547141811286+268-2-413-2-13-27-2-1W5
2 Boston28203545182010165+3612-0-48-3-10-49-0-1W8
3 NY Islanders2618623812167763+1411-2-17-4-12-06-3-1L1
4 Philadelphia2816753711139179+129-1-47-6-13-56-2-2W5
5 Pittsburgh2815943411149678+1811-3-24-6-21-05-3-2W1
6 Carolina28161113311158878+108-5-08-6-11-06-4-0L1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Woah. Was not aware they have been doing that well. Thought they were in the middle somewhere.

Other factors are helping and Philly fans will chime in. But I think Youngblood of Frost and Farabee have injected some serious skill and talent onto their roster.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not surprising at all, they’ve been performing as expected tbh.

I was very vocal about them in the summer. They added Hayes, some young guys and first time in years have a competent blueline. They’ve been a playoff team in the past without these things.

Best part about them is that they haven’t even been firing on all cylinders yet. Patrick hasn’t played a single game and quite a few of the vets are producing at a lower rate than in the last couple years.

They’ve spent the first couple months figuring out AV’s gameplan and most importantly just re-gaining that confidence and swagger of a good team after a disappointing season. Lots of tight games and OT wins.

Now that the team is getting comfortable i wouldn’t be surprised to see some dominant stretches.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Not surprising at all, they’ve been performing as expected tbh.

I was very vocal about them in the summer. They added Hayes, some young guys and first time in years have a competent blueline. They’ve been a playoff team in the past without these things.

Best part about them is that they haven’t even been firing on all cylinders yet. Patrick hasn’t played a single game and quite a few of the vets are producing at a lower rate than in the last couple years.

They’ve spent the first couple months figuring out AV’s gameplan and most importantly just re-gaining that confidence and swagger of a good team after a disappointing season. Lots of tight games and OT wins.

Now that the team is getting comfortable i wouldn’t be surprised to see some dominant stretches.
This is all correct but I would add if Hart continues to grow and be the goalie we think he is, that could be a real game changer for the Flyers....the other youngsters have come online and played for the most part very well...Phillip Myers, Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee along Hart have all been solid additions thus far.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
What is important is that none of the leaders except for Konecny and Provorov are performing at their true level. Ghost isn't any good this year, Giroux and Voracek can do much better and so can Hayes and JVR. Once everyone gets going they can challenge for top spot in the division.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The biggest things are the system and good goaltending. No team is going to win with 8 goalies. Hart has been great. Has something like a 1.54 gaa and .947% at home. Elliot has been pretty good when he has come in.

The coaching has been excellent. They had the top 3 PK a few games ago at least. They have a 12 PP that has struggled for a little while. AV has a faster pace system and they are well conditioned, winning a lot of 3rd periods. They push hard and play to win and not tie. Not only is AV good, the difference from Hakstol to AV is MASSIVE.

All this on on the backs of Couts, TK, Lindblom at fwd. The top pair of Provy and Niskanen has been lights out. Myers has been very good as well. If he continues at this level of play and progression he will be our #1.

I’d say they are at something like 65% efficiency still. Voracek, Hayes and JVR have struggled. They all have started to score recently however. That means an improved PP. Rookies Frost and Farabee are amazing and their time will come when we are true contenders in a year or two.

Patrick has not played at all. He said he expects to play this year. He would be a hell of a 4C this year. Raffl broke a finger and is out 4 weeks. Our 4C has been an issue so that may change things as he, JVR and Pitlick have been a great 4th line.

The BIGGEST thing for me. Win 5. Keep winning. But don’t lose 5 back like they have been doing for years. Win 6-7 in a row. Lose 1-2 and then back at winning. Isles are catchable. Maybe caps. They need to make the playoffs and win a round for this season to be a success.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I barely consider them a top 5 team in the metro tbh.

Third in the division, won 5 in a row and improving. This is the best team since the 2010 team for sure, maybe even better. Two good goalies working with an appropriate workload. A deep defence that's still improving. Three solid scoring lines and an effective fourth line. Still missing Nolan Patrick. We might not have a superstar, but we balance that by having depth in every position.

Not even top 5 in the division? How many times do we need to beat Carolina before people think we're better?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Vigneault the (regular season) wizard, never disappoints.

Aiming for a 4th Presidents' Trophy with third team?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
they are deservingly on the rise. a few good additions in the off season, a pretty good coach, and a goaltending PROSPECT that has a lot of potential. 3 big steps for them.

still, i think they fade a bit and struggle down the stretch, because of the inexperienced Hart.

near future looking real bright, IMO, and i think the time is now for them. Voracek and Giroux are 30 and 31 respectively, and , i think they have a year or three, really good years left.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Third in the division, won 5 in a row and improving. This is the best team since the 2010 team for sure, maybe even better. Two good goalies working with an appropriate workload. A deep defence that's still improving. Three solid scoring lines and an effective fourth line. Still missing Nolan Patrick. We might not have a superstar, but we balance that by having depth in every position.

Not even top 5 in the division? How many times do we need to beat Carolina before people think we're better?

I said "barely" top 5. I expected better years from NYR and NJ which obviously isnt happening so i put them at 5.

Im actually not super high on Carolina either unlike others but would have Car 4th and Philly 5th. I think Car has a better roster and mostly is coming off a great season and playoff run. Will need to see more from Philly to consider them more seriously.

The problem with Philly too is they always seem to be in the mix this time of year and then fall off.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
vingeault has only missed the playoffs twice since 2006. hes a fantastic coach

flyers have a solid team
Wait until the Flyers fully play Vigneault's game plan to 100%. It worked well when NYR played a hybrid between Torts and Vigneault. When they fully played like Vigneault wanted, it was a total mess defensively.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I said "barely" top 5. I expected better years from NYR and NJ which obviously isnt happening so i put them at 5.

Im actually not super high on Carolina either unlike others but would have Car 4th and Philly 5th. I think Car has a better roster and mostly is coming off a great season and playoff run. Will need to see more from Philly to consider them more seriously.

The problem with Philly too is they always seem to be in the mix this time of year and then fall off.

That's the exact opposite of what happens. We're always dead and buried by this point and go on a tear by the end of the season to just make or miss.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
6th in points%

They're eating up the East at 12-4-3.

They've won 5 in a row, and 6 of the last 7. Make this post on Nov 19th, just over 2 weeks ago, and they're 15th overall, at 10-7-4. Behind Carolina, Montreal, Florida, and Pittsburgh in total points, and in points%. They've had 5 and 4 game winning streaks. They've had two 4 game losing streaks. In 2 weeks, where will they be? They're 9-1-4 at home, 7-6-1 on the road. That home record is exceptional, so that will come down. 9-1-4 is 129 points in 82 games. They're breaking even on the road, which is more normal. 10 of their next 15 are on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad