The Philadelphia Flyers are a top 5 team in the league

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Wow, I really wanted to post how much easier our schedule gets.....but it really doesn't. Still have 16 home games, 16 away games left. Still have 5 (mostly) brutal back to backs left. But we do have 7 games left against teams that we are directly in competition with for 3/4 playoff spots (Columbus, Carolina, NY Islanders, Florida). I think we match up quite well against both Columbus and Carolina. Not really sure about the other 2, since it has been months since our last games against either. I feel like when the dust settles, we'll be in the playoffs.

It's actually better for the flyers, seeing as we only beat good teams and only lose to bad teams.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
It's actually better for the flyers, seeing as we only beat good teams and only lose to bad teams.

Someone on our board posted that this team could beat the 1976 Canadians and then lose to the California Golden Seals. Sad, but true.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Would be first in the pacific with their record - outside the playoffs in the east. What a weird year.
giroux, jake, jvr, have to step up, if they dont, we are out of the playoffs.

losing lindlom was a blow but it's still on them to step it up.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Would be first in the pacific with their record - outside the playoffs in the east. What a weird year.
This isn't all that rare. The bar for a playoff spot in the East has consistently been higher than the bar for a playoff spot in the West since the Wild Card playoff system was introduced.

Fewest points by an Eastern playoff team; Most points by an Eastern non-playoff team; Fewest points by a Western playoff team; Most points by a Western non-playoff team

2018/19: Blue Jackets (98); Canadiens (96); Avalanche (90); Coyotes (86)
2017/18: Devils (97); Panthers (96); Avalanche (95); Blues (94)
2016/17: Maple Leafs (95); Islanders (94); Predators (94); Jets (87)
2015/16: Red Wings (93); Bruins (93); Wild (87); Avalanche (82)
2014/15: Penguins (98); Bruins (96); Flames (97); Kings (95)
2013/14: Red Wings (93); Capitals (90); Stars (91); Coyotes (89)

This year it's pacing as:

Blue Jackets (100); Flyers (98); Golden Knights (90); Predators (89)

Definitely more pronounced, but it's the same old sentiment.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I consider Washington/Pitt/NYI easily better than them.

Carolina - I also expect them to do better than Philly by end of year.

I expected bigger seasons by NYR and NJ, both of which started out slow. I thought it would be a fight between those 3 for 5th best. Even though Rangers look better lately - clearly i think Philly now belongs above them (and NJ). So I agree - they are easily top 5, if just barely (as in - i have them 5th).
Washington yes, Pitt maybe, NYI No. Carolina hell no.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Gonna be hell getting into the Playoffs in the East but The Flyers will have as good a chance as any fighting for the wild card/3rd spot in metro. They have a legit coach coach this year.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Washington yes, Pitt maybe, NYI No. Carolina hell no.

upload_2020-1-23_14-20-50.png

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
How the mighty have fallen from grace. The flyers since this article was posted are 11-10-1. They’ve been passed by five teams in the east (TBL, FLA, PIT, CBJ, CAR) and six overall (COL is the team from the west) they’re goal differential is average and they’re being helped by good goal tending. The Flyers went from 5th in the league to a bubble playoff team (I had them 11th in the conference at the beginning of the year) and it’s highly likely they miss because the teams ahead of them are better.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
How the mighty have fallen from grace. The flyers since this article was posted are 11-10-1. They’ve been passed by five teams in the east (TBL, FLA, PIT, CBJ, CAR) and six overall (COL is the team from the west) they’re goal differential is average and they’re being helped by good goal tending. The Flyers went from 5th in the league to a bubble playoff team (I had them 11th in the conference at the beginning of the year) and it’s highly likely they miss because the teams ahead of them are better.

Take away your top goal scorer, your best goalie and your highest drafted player and see how the Leafs are doing.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Take away your top goal scorer, your best goalie and your highest drafted player and see how the Leafs are doing.

I mean, the leafs currently are missing their two best defensemen and at times this year have played without Tavares, marner, moore, Johnsson and Mikheyev, and look at that were 3 points behind the flyers.

not exactly what sure the point was you were trying to prove

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

Maybe, but hey at least they’re not the leafs...

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They're a good team that just so happens to be surrounded by other good teams in their division and conference. It'll be a 5-or-even-6 team war for 4 playoff spots, and they have as good a chance as anyone. And they typically finish strong.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Past victories do not dictate future successes. In fact the Islanders and Flyers have scored the exact same number of points since that 2nd meeting. I also don't think the Flyers will make the same mistake and allow the Islanders back into the game again.

LOL... and yet here you are claiming the Flyers are better than the Islanders without a shadow of doubt.

Before making an unequivocal statement, such as you did, it might be prudent to have actually beaten the team you claim to be better than.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I mean, the leafs currently are missing their two best defensemen and at times this year have played without Tavares, marner, moore, Johnsson and Mikheyev, and look at that were 3 points behind the flyers.

not exactly what sure the point was you were trying to prove

Ok, without getting into the specifics of taking out, say Mathews (your top pick) for the entire season so far and whoever has the most goals after him...and the Flyers present lack of depth...take Anderson out of your net. Your backup averages an entire goal per game more. Goalies are important. So is depth...ours is presently in prospects. I guess that's the point I'm trying to prove.

And sitting behind a sliding Flyers team isn't exactly tearing up the league. You guys are supposed to be contenders. We don't know what the heck we are.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
LOL... and yet here you are claiming the Flyers are better than the Islanders without a shadow of doubt.

Before making an unequivocal statement, such as you did, it might be prudent to have actually beaten the team you claim to be better than.

Please show me when I said that.

Edit: On top of that....who cares if the Flyers have previously beaten the Islanders this season. The Islanders are either 2-0 or 2-1 (not sure) against the Penguins, yet 4 points behind them. As I stated, the Flyers have the exact same number of points as the Islanders since that game on November 16th. The Flyers sit 3 points behind the Islanders. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Flyers go 0-3-1 against the Islanders and make the playoffs over them. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Flyers go 4-0 against the Blue Jackets and miss the playoffs to the Blue Jackets. All I said in my previous posts today is I like the Flyers odds of making the playoffs over 1 of the 4 Metro teams directly in front of them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad