Salary Cap: The Phil Speaketh to The Flock and Assorted Tidbits | UFA/roster discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Whats your point? Did someone ask you to plan the return of dupuis parade?

Its a choice that should be made by the man, his doctors and his family. All the hand wringing over their decision not only uninformed but irrelevant.

My point has been made quite clearly.

Someone else made the comment about Dupuis. I agreed with them.

UM made an ignorant post accusing us of only caring about cap space, being blind to the fact that some of us are fathers who find Dupuis decision selfish and dangerous. He admitted he could still hide his symptoms and I find that incredibly stupid.

That's my opinion. If you don't agree with it, oh well. Once again, someone else brought it up, I simply agreed with them. How you equate this to me being stressed out about Dupuis coming back is an extreme stretch of reality and like UM, you are twisting things to serve your own agenda.

I don't spend much time worrying about what Dupuis does. If he dies, ultimately it will effect his family and loved ones. My life will go on normally, even though I will feel badly. That's just the simple truth.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I'd love to see this team sign Shawn Matthias. He's a possession-driven center that can easily shift to wing once Sundqvist is ready to take over there.

As for trading Sutter and Scuderi, I still hold to the belief that Jarrett Stoll's cocaine and ecstasy charges & the Mike Richards termination leave space for a guy like Brandon Sutter. He also fits the team's defensive philosophy on the third line. For Scuderi, well, your guess is as good as mine, but he seems like a great guy for a team with a lot of young defensemen.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
With the news that plotnikov has a very bonus oriented contact, I'm convinced one of Kunitz, Sutter or Scuderi will be gone and it would be better to do it now if it's Sutter. I think we could wait if it's Kunitz and try and sell him at the deadline. At this point is trade a third with Scuderi just to get him off the team.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I'd love to see this team sign Shawn Matthias. He's a possession-driven center that can easily shift to wing once Sundqvist is ready to take over there.

As for trading Sutter and Scuderi, I still hold to the belief that Jarrett Stoll's cocaine and ecstasy charges & the Mike Richards termination leave space for a guy like Brandon Sutter. He also fits the team's defensive philosophy on the third line. For Scuderi, well, your guess is as good as mine, but he seems like a great guy for a team with a lot of young defensemen.

He's horrible at face offs though so we'd need to get someone good at face offs for the 4th line so we'd have someone to take defensive zone faceoffs.

Honestly I'd we got rid of Kunitz and Scuderi then I'd be happy to see if Sutter would sign a contract extension for 3.25-3.75 million per year. He plays a big role in this team with defensive zone faceoffs and penalty killing.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
With the news that plotnikov has a very bonus oriented contact, I'm convinced one of Kunitz, Sutter or Scuderi will be gone and it would be better to do it now if it's Sutter. I think we could wait if it's Kunitz and try and sell him at the deadline. At this point is trade a third with Scuderi just to get him off the team.

I was under the assumption bonuses went towards next year's cap, I don't understand how let's say he's got a 500k bonus for scoring 20 goals and he has 19 heading into game 82. But if I'm reading mike colligans tweets correctly,achievable bonuses count this year if you can fit them under. If they exceed the cap it goes towards next year? I dunno every time I read the cba, I confuse it even more than the original read.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
He's horrible at face offs though so we'd need to get someone good at face offs for the 4th line so we'd have someone to take defensive zone faceoffs.

Honestly I'd we got rid of Kunitz and Scuderi then I'd be happy to see if Sutter would sign a contract extension for 3.25-3.75 million per year. He plays a big role in this team with defensive zone faceoffs and penalty killing.
Any word on if Oskar is the guy for that?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Apparently there is a search for a 4C...which means they don't anticipate Sundqvist being a 4C? Does that mean they anticipate him being a wing to start? If not...wtf man. I thought one of the goals of next year was to bring in younger players. Or at least not make moves that prohibit those guys from moving up. Obviously a little different now Kapanen is gone but still...

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sunqvist-4C-Bennett

I would see which cheap centers and wings are still available and go from there. If you can nab Stewart or Semin cheap, sign them make Sundy our 4C. If you can nab Matthias, make Sundy wing. The one good thing about signing a Matthias is that you have flexibility if a center goes down. I'd love it if whoever goes down, Sundy simply fills in. I'd like to have that kind of undisturbable chemistry rockin and rollin on the other lines.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was under the assumption bonuses went towards next year's cap, I don't understand how let's say he's got a 500k bonus for scoring 20 goals and he has 19 heading into game 82. But if I'm reading mike colligans tweets correctly,achievable bonuses count this year if you can fit them under. If they exceed the cap it goes towards next year? I dunno every time I read the cba, I confuse it even more than the original read.

they only count against next year's cap if they take us over this year's cap.

So if we are at 70 mil before bonuses with a 71mil cap, and he gets anything less than 1 mil in bonuses, they wouldn't hurt us next year. But if he would get 2 mil in bonuses, we'd lose 1 mil of next year's cap.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Apparently there is a search for a 4C...which means they don't anticipate Sundqvist being a 4C? Does that mean they anticipate him being a wing to start? If not...wtf man. I thought one of the goals of next year was to bring in younger players. Or at least not make moves that prohibit those guys from moving up. Obviously a little different now Kapanen is gone but still...

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sunqvist-4C-Bennett

I would see which cheap centers and wings are still available and go from there. If you can nab Stewart or Semin cheap, sign them make Sundy our 4C. If you can nab Matthias, make Sundy wing. The one good thing about signing a Matthias is that you have flexibility if a center goes down. I'd love it if whoever goes down, Sundy simply fills in. I'd like to have that kind of undisturbable chemistry rockin and rollin on the other lines.

I'm fine with them playing Sundqvist at wing, at least to start the year. Its never a bad thing to have extra guys who can move to center. But we shouldn't limit our search to centers imo. Get the best players we can find at this point and if that means Sundqvist is at center, so be it.

That said, until we move out salary we likely aren't adding anybody.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sundqvist is mostly a winger. He played wing last preseason too.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sunqvist-4C-Bennett

That's the best lineup we could field, and having Matthias as the 4C w/ Sundqvist taking the faceoffs makes sense. For all the crap Matthias' faceoff percentage takes, it wasn't that much worse than Santorelli's. Fehr would be a clear upgrade in that department, but I don't think the Pens add him unless he'll be slotted in on L3.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sunqvist-4C-Bennett

Hornqvist will not be on the left wing. He said himself he isn't a left winger.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's the best lineup we could field, and having Matthias as the 4C w/ Sundqvist taking the faceoffs makes sense. For all the crap Matthias' faceoff percentage takes, it wasn't that much worse than Santorelli's. Fehr would be a clear upgrade in that department, but I don't think the Pens add him unless he'll be slotted in on L3.

The Pens could really use another RHS for faceoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Iginla played the opposite wing and he's a HOF RW. :laugh: Never put anything past this organization. I just hope they figure **** out.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis
Sunqvist-4C-Bennett

This is the kind of bad development practices that have been going on for years here.

I would rather see Sunqvist actually playing in the AHL and you might as well waive Bennett if you are going to play him 5 minutes a game again.

If any young players go there is should be players like Wilson or Rust. They are projected to be the 4th line type players.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Oh... Well that's unfortunate. At least he can clearly play the game of hockey (he knows how to use his body to hold onto the puck).

If he can get face offs figured out I really like how he projects for the #3 centre role in a few years. Otherwise he'll be fine on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad