Salary Cap: The Phil Speaketh to The Flock and Assorted Tidbits | UFA/roster discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Dupuis is a guy who never told people about his symptoms after being warned about the dangers of blood clots, then insanely hinted he might do it again because he "loves the game".

That's such a cop out and I can't believe people buy that horse ****.

TV retired, because it was the intelligent thing to do. Do you think he didn't love the game?

Hey blame the organization, couldn't that be a reason to terminate his contract? Fat chance that would happen though. Dupuis is a fan favorite and this only grew his legend in yinzerville.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Pens tried to move Sutter at the TDL. The market for 3Cs is incredibly weak, and in spite of most posters opinions, the Pens shouldn't give away an asset like that in a bad value trade especially when they can't internally replace him.

I have a feeling the Pens aren't sure that they an internal replacement for Kunitz yet either. Dupuis, Bennett, and Plotnikov have just as big question marks surrounding them.

Scuderi is the that should go, but the Pens seem to not be willing to get rid of him.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Pens tried to move Sutter at the TDL. The market for 3Cs is incredibly weak, and in spite of most posters opinions, the Pens shouldn't give away an asset like that in a bad value trade especially when they can't internally replace him.

Yeah believe me I was for standing pat if you couldn't get good value. Still hope OC can push him out somehow this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Glencross was mentioned earlier, and if he were to come in for a decent price and term (under 3 mil per short term), I really do like the idea of bringing him in if we manage to ship off Kunitz.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

We have no idea what we were trying to move him for/are trying to move him for now that we acquired our stud winger.

If they can't get a 2nd or 3rd+good prospect, then yeah, keep him I guess.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Dupuis is a guy who never told people about his symptoms after being warned about the dangers of blood clots, then insanely hinted he might do it again because he "loves the game".

That's such a cop out and I can't believe people buy that horse ****. This isn't a guy this org should allow back on the ice. I said this many times, and I made the same statements about TV.

TV retired, because it was the intelligent thing to do. Do you think he didn't love the game?

Yeah but fleishman didnt retire and has been fine ever since. There isnt a right or wrong answer its up to doctors and the player and the particular situation.

If docters are comfortable with the meds and dupuis wants to play he has every right to play. Period.

Not to mention from a hockey sense it would be 3.75 million in dead cap space and likely a grievance from the nhlpa if the pens just decided to not allow him to play. You cant just force a player on LTIR if they are cleared by doctors.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey blame the organization, couldn't that be a reason to terminate his contract? Fat chance that would happen though. Dupuis is a fan favorite and this only grew his legend in yinzerville.

Because people are stupid. Rude, but true.

I don't admire a father who ignores life threatening symptoms because he wants to keep playing a child's game.

tumblr_nqywhbqSJu1txyx4lo1_540.png

He's a warrior who loves his annuals!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah but fleishman didnt retire and has been fine ever since. There isnt a right or wrong answer its up to doctors and the player and the particular situation.

If docters are comfortable with the meds and dupuis wants to play he has every right to play. Period.

Not to mention from a hockey sense it would be 3.75 million in dead cap space and likely a grievance from the nhlpa if the pens just decided to not allow him to play. You cant just force a player on LTIR if they are cleared by doctors.

Those guys didn't hide their symptoms.

Dupuis is a guy who was warned about blood clots, ignored the symptoms the second time around and hinted he might do it again. Do people not get why it is disturbing they are letting a guy with this mentality back on the ice?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Dupuis is a guy who was warned about blood clots, ignored the symptoms the second time around and hinted he might do it again. Do people not get why it is disturbing they are letting a guy with this mentality back on the ice?

Well what can anyone do about it? I say again, if he's cleared he will play. Someone putting themselves at risk to do something is not new.

God I can already see the wails and gnashing of teeth all year long over this. Rightfully so maybe, but it's just beating a dead pulverized horse at this point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well what can anyone do about it? I say again, if he's cleared he will play. Someone putting themselves at risk to do something is not new.

God I can already see the wails and gnashing of teeth all year long over this. Rightfully so maybe, but it's just beating a dead pulverized horse at this point.

The criticism is that people are calling him a warrior instead of a fool for putting a game ahead of a full life with his kids.

No **** plenty of players have this mentality.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My vote would be:

Dupuis/Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel

Kessel will be awesome with either, but I think his speed helps Crosby more. Dupuis/Kunitz if healthy will be a decent third wheel. With arguably the best center-winger combo in the NHL, they don't have to do much. Get in on the forecheck and play some defense.

Perron - Malkin - Hornquist

Very close to the shooter-net front winger combo that Malkin has done very well with in the past. Hornquist didn't look great with Malkin, but I don't remember who was on the other side. Malkin needs a guy to play off of and that can be Perron while Hornquist just has to crash the net. Perron's skill, but lack of speed will mesh better with Malkin's east-west game than Crosby's north-south IMO.

Dupuis/Kunitz - Sutter - BB

Surprised they haven't traded Sutter. Maybe they will if not before the season then before the deadline, but in the meantime, they could do worse than surrounding Sutter with some decent wingers. I'm close to giving up on BB, but they have Plotnikov if he doesn't get it together. Dupuis/Kunitz aren't ideal top 6 wingers, but as 3rd line players, they are fine (although overpaid).

Plotnikov - Sundquist - Wilson

Really excited to see Plotnikov and hopefully Sundquist. I don't know much about them, but if they are half as good as some people say, then this will be one good 4th line.

None of us really know until we see it come together though and injuries will undoubtedly throw a wrench into things. I wouldn't say they deep since there are a number of question marks, but they have guys that can potentially step up.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

His choice, period. Its not their job or your job to babysit him. Hes a grown ass adult and can make his own choice right or wrong.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The criticism is that people are calling him a warrior instead of a fool for putting a game ahead of a full life with his kids.

Well duh, he's a fan favorite in Pittsburgh, probably more popular than malkin among yinzers. Of course they'll call him a warrior instead. A sad reality but that's what it is.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Our team is still pretty light we need to add some size somewhere, whether that is through top 6 left wingers like Chris Stewart or through a 3C like Fehr or Matthias or through a defenseman in a trade if we could somehow dump Scuderi and trade for someone that will hit, has size and will protect stars.

Please add some size JR, I don't want to see this team get bullied all year.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
so not a fan of "what're you gonna do" "that's just how it is" nonsense arguments. why bother

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

When did the two become mutually exclusive? Plenty of warriors have been fools.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
so not a fan of "what're you gonna do" "that's just how it is" nonsense arguments. why bother

But seriously where do you go from there? Yes he probably shouldn't play and lied and put his health at risk. What is there to argue?

I'm guessing we're waking up from the kessel ecstasy party and remembering this organization still isn't very smart?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh the dramah! You are acting bizarre as hell bro. Now gardening is going to be hard manual labor and you suddenly know all about my life?

Keep moving the goalposts and looking foolish.

Dupuis is a millionaire with a guaranteed contract. He won't be doing manual labor jobs. That is such a bizarre response that it actually made me laugh.

Dupuis is a guy who had a blood clot, was warned of the dangers, then proceeded to play five games and stupidly ignore his symptoms when he had another blood clot. He could have died at any second. Do you not get that?

Are you that naive about how dangerous blood clots are and that pro hockey is one of the most dangerous things a person with blood clots can do?

You don't have 200 lb men throwing themselves at you, sticks being smashed onto your bones, and frozen rubber shot at your body, in some manual labor job (that Dupuis will never do). What are you even talking about, seriously?

All it will take is one shot off the back of Dupuis' leg and he could die. That's no joke. That's not drama. That's reality. And he has already proven he will ignore the symptoms. And you want this guy on the ice entertaining you?

I say that's pretty sick.

Way too much ignorance coming off of your keyboard.

I didn't move the goal posts, you did.

Your generalization of gardening and what I posted takes actual effort. But keep on moving them. Yeah, because millionaires don't do things after retirement. Please!!!!

You have a sick sense to single out a single occupation as the most susceptible.

Dude...Blood clots are dangerous for "EVERYONE" in any situation.

Let me tell how hard my uncle was working sitting at his desk who had died of a brain aneurysm. So spare me your hockey players are more prone.

The common man is more prone because they are less likely to go get looked at, and if you read Dupuis's article, that's the exact mentality a grunt would do. Push on. He thought he had a broken rib. Something most of you just pass over.

Next I guess you'll try to paint playing hockey is one of the most dangerous jobs.

I could easily show you jobs where you don't wear all that padding and helmets that are just as susceptible to injuries and clots.

The painting of hockey players are above all else is sickening.

The way you speak of the matter tells me you don't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well duh, he's a fan favorite in Pittsburgh, probably more popular than malkin among yinzers. Of course they'll call him a warrior instead. A sad reality but that's what it is.

Fair enough.

On a more positive note after the Kessel trade and people talking about how the Pens sold their future to win a Cup the next few years, I thought I'd compare where our roster will be in three years vs. Chicago.

Kessel is the same age as Toews/Kane. Sid and Geno are 1 and 2 years older respectively.

Keith will be 34. Hossa 39. Sharp will be gone.

Letang will be 31. Hornqvist 31. Perron (if re-signed) 30.

Hawks have Panarin, Teräväinen and Dano to fill in the gaps up front.

Pens have DP, Maatta and Dumoulin to do the same on the back end.

We don't have the high end forward prospects, but we have 2/3 of our top 6 locked up longterm. And the ability to fill another spot through Sid/Geno's better years by re-signing Perron.

Hawks don't have much in the way of high end blue liners to place in their top 4 defense.

Just though it was interesting since so many on here have been doom and gloom around here.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Fair enough.

On a more positive note after the Kessel trade and people talking about how the Pens sold their future to win a Cup the next few years, I thought I'd compare where our roster will be in three years vs. Chicago.

Kessel is the same age as Toews/Kane. Sid and Geno are 1 and 2 years older respectively.

Keith will be 34. Hossa 39. Sharp will be gone.

Letang will be 31. Hornqvist 31. Perron (if re-signed) 30.

Hawks have Panarin, Teräväinen and Dano to fill in the gaps up front.

Pens have DP, Maatta and Dumoulin to do the same on the back end.

We don't have the high end forward prospects, but we have 2/3 of our top 6 locked up longterm. And the ability to fill another spot through Sid/Geno's better years by re-signing Perron.

Hawks don't have much in the way of high end blue liners to place in their top 4 defense.

Just though it was interesting since so many on here have been doom and gloom around here.

The Hawks have more prospects than that, I can't think of many off the top of my head, but I think there's TVR (JVR's brother) and Pokka on their backend. And I'll probably still rather have Keith at 34 than Letang at 31 to be honest with you. Letang's great, but Keith is a beast.

I don't think the Pens are in a bad spot, but I don't think the Hawks are in one either.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
In a couple of years, the Alberta teams should be the favorites in the west ahead of the hawks. That rivalry is gonna get real intense. Oilers forwards vs flames blueline.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
My vote would be:

Dupuis/Kunitz - Crosby - Kessel

Kessel will be awesome with either, but I think his speed helps Crosby more. Dupuis/Kunitz if healthy will be a decent third wheel. With arguably the best center-winger combo in the NHL, they don't have to do much. Get in on the forecheck and play some defense.

Perron - Malkin - Hornquist

Very close to the shooter-net front winger combo that Malkin has done very well with in the past. Hornquist didn't look great with Malkin, but I don't remember who was on the other side. Malkin needs a guy to play off of and that can be Perron while Hornquist just has to crash the net. Perron's skill, but lack of speed will mesh better with Malkin's east-west game than Crosby's north-south IMO.

Dupuis/Kunitz - Sutter - BB

Surprised they haven't traded Sutter. Maybe they will if not before the season then before the deadline, but in the meantime, they could do worse than surrounding Sutter with some decent wingers. I'm close to giving up on BB, but they have Plotnikov if he doesn't get it together. Dupuis/Kunitz aren't ideal top 6 wingers, but as 3rd line players, they are fine (although overpaid).

Plotnikov - Sundquist - Wilson

Really excited to see Plotnikov and hopefully Sundquist. I don't know much about them, but if they are half as good as some people say, then this will be one good 4th line.

None of us really know until we see it come together though and injuries will undoubtedly throw a wrench into things. I wouldn't say they deep since there are a number of question marks, but they have guys that can potentially step up.
I would keep horney with sid for the reason you have stated. that leaves kessel with malkin...... to balance things out , I would put the next best winger with sid. (my gusse would be perron) that leaves the rest to fight for the spot.(I'm leaning towards bennet) because his game (when healthy) seems to be a good fit, and has looked good with geno before. but I think it's still wide open for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad