Salary Cap: The Phil Speaketh to The Flock and Assorted Tidbits | UFA/roster discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well what can anyone do about it? I say again, if he's cleared he will play. Someone putting themselves at risk to do something is not new.

God I can already see the wails and gnashing of teeth all year long over this. Rightfully so maybe, but it's just beating a dead pulverized horse at this point.

I'm not going to stress about it. It's his life on the line, not mine.

However, that doesn't mean I don't think his decision is foolish and irresponsible. I also don't think its beating a dead horse like say the Despres trade or something that can't be reversed. This decision can still be changed.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The Hawks have more prospects than that, I can't think of many off the top of my head, but I think there's TVR (JVR's brother) and Pokka on their backend. And I'll probably still rather have Keith at 34 than Letang at 31 to be honest with you. Letang's great, but Keith is a beast.

I don't think the Pens are in a bad spot, but I don't think the Hawks are in one either.

I think Letang at 31 vs Keith at 34 is even assuming health.

I'd take Maatta+DP over their top forward prospects.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't even put into words how ridiculous I find it that interneters with no general medical knowledge, let alone specific knowledge of Dupuis situation, call him selfish of pretend to know what his prognosis is based on nothing more than "blood clots."

I'm sorry, did you read his players tribune article? I don't think it's ridiculous at al to call him selfish. I think it's valid and fair.

And yes, shame on us because we feel his life is more important than hockey. How selfish of us. :laugh:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Pens tried to move Sutter at the TDL. The market for 3Cs is incredibly weak, and in spite of most posters opinions, the Pens shouldn't give away an asset like that in a bad value trade especially when they can't internally replace him.

I have a feeling the Pens aren't sure that they an internal replacement for Kunitz yet either. Dupuis, Bennett, and Plotnikov have just as big question marks surrounding them.

Scuderi is the that should go, but the Pens seem to not be willing to get rid of him.

He would be my top choice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
His choice, period. Its not their job or your job to babysit him. Hes a grown ass adult and can make his own choice right or wrong.

As evidenced by his essay, this grown ass adult made some really stupid decisions with his life last Fall.

He can do what he wants obviously, but I'm not going to be one of those people celebrating his decision like he is some proud warrior and buying into that BS.

TV made an adult decision, Dupuis can't seem to do that.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
IIRC, last off season someone suggested that if Adams couldn't be traded they could flunk his physical when camp started. Then the team would be able to terminate the contract, I'm guessing using the material breach clause like the Kings did with Richards ... is that correct?

Anyone have any idea if that's actually doable? By doable, I mean would that actually be allowed under the CBA?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What about Matt Cullen on a cheap one year deal for 4C? No idea how he finished the season in Nashville, but he was still a pretty good player just last year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I didn't move the goal posts, you did.

Your generalization of gardening and what I posted takes actual effort. But keep on moving them. Yeah, because millionaires don't do things after retirement. Please!!!!

You have a sick sense to single out a single occupation as the most susceptible.

Dude...Blood clots are dangerous for "EVERYONE" in any situation.

Let me tell how hard my uncle was working sitting at his desk who had died of a brain aneurysm. So spare me your hockey players are more prone.

The common man is more prone because they are less likely to go get looked at, and if you read Dupuis's article, that's the exact mentality a grunt would do. Push on. He thought he had a broken rib. Something most of you just pass over.

Next I guess you'll try to paint playing hockey is one of the most dangerous jobs.

I could easily show you jobs where you don't wear all that padding and helmets that are just as susceptible to injuries and clots.

The painting of hockey players are above all else is sickening.

The way you speak of the matter tells me you don't.

Save your drama and self importance. You are the one who tried to judge me, and others based on our opinion and twist it into something else. Now you are twisting things into hockey players being more important than the avg Joe?

Seriously where do you come up with this nonsense?

You trying to bring your uncle into this conversation and other avg Joes compared to Dupuis is ridiculous as hell. It's merely a deflection from your original ignorant post, nothing more.

Dupuis had two blood clots within 10 months of each other due to playing pro hockey.

This is entirely about a pro hockey player making a decision to keep playing the game and putting his life at risk, needlessly. A hockey player who hid his symptoms and admitted he is prone to doing it again because he wants to keep playing.

Do you not get that? Apparently not because you have twisted things so far away from the original argument it's ridiculous.

Once again, the root cause of his blood clots came from playing this violent sport. Not from gardening. Not from manual labor.

The risk to his health dramatically increases by playing the game. It's common sense. That's exactly why TV retired.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
As evidenced by his essay, this grown ass adult made some really stupid decisions with his life last Fall.

He can do what he wants obviously, but I'm not going to be one of those people celebrating his decision like he is some proud warrior and buying into that BS.

TV made an adult decision, Dupuis can't seem to do that.

Whats your point? Did someone ask you to plan the return of dupuis parade?

Its a choice that should be made by the man, his doctors and his family. All the hand wringing over their decision not only uninformed but irrelevant.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I think Letang at 31 vs Keith at 34 is even assuming health.

I'd take Maatta+DP over their top forward prospects.

I just don't think that Keith declines that early, maybe I'm being optimistic about Keith's trajectory.

I don't think DP has proven anything much yet honestly, I'm not as high on him as many of you guys are. He has a lot of potential, but it's still potential. He needed to be sheltered a **** ton last season and he was put into more of a position to succeed than any other of our young Ds, especially Despres, who is far more proven IMO. Maybe I'm just griping about that, but I didn't like how he was just given stuff that I think Despres deserved yet never got. And at the end of the season when injuries happened, he had the highest GA/60 of all the defencemen, including Lovejoy, despite playing the easiest minutes.

And I think forward group wise, they don't need to be that good to just leech off Kane tbh, he's dragged along some pretty bad centers in his career just like Sid and Geno have. I think both the Hawks and PEns would be pretty even.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
What about Matt Cullen on a cheap one year deal for 4C? No idea how he finished the season in Nashville, but he was still a pretty good player just last year.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, tbh didn't post it cause I didn't want to see all the he's old responses. But he was 54% on the dots last year. I'm not real sure where his skating stands but he had decent production and iirc he missed some time.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I was actually thinking about this yesterday, tbh didn't post it cause I didn't want to see all the he's old responses. But he was 54% on the dots last year. I'm not real sure where his skating stands but he had decent production and iirc he missed some time.

The guy was playing 17 minutes/night for Nashville in the playoffs. We'd be asking him to play closer to ten, take faceoffs and help bring along guys like Sundqvist and Beau Bennett.

He'd definitely be an upgrade for faceoffs alone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not a bad idea. How do you feel about Malhotra?

Feel like Cullen's more useful independent of faceoffs. Again, didn't watch much of him down the stretch last year, but if he's only marginally worse than where he was the year prior, he can still skate and set up his linemates.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The idea is young. We need to get younger. But that doesn't mean we won't take a vet to do well on our 4th line. If he's still got game, unlike Adams, I'm all for it. I will not compare apples to oranges and just say they are too old.

I'd like the team to get younger, but I'm never against a vet playing the 4th line if they still got it.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
That's really damning for Simmons. For people that don't know the city walking from College and Bay to Front and John everyday for a hotdog is absurd. You'd pass at least 6 other guys selling hot dogs on the way, not to mention the dozens of other food trucks and restaurants.

Would be freaking hilarious if Phil said yea I'd go there ever day,as part of my 5k cardio routine cuz it's the only vendor with veggie dogs. Get my cardio and lunch done all at once.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
there was nothing indicating it was a joke, unless the whole article was intended as such

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The idea is young. We need to get younger. But that doesn't mean we won't take a vet to do well on our 4th line. If he's still got game, unlike Adams, I'm all for it. I will not compare apples to oranges and just say they are too old.

I'd like the team to get younger, but I'm never against a vet playing the 4th line if they still got it.

Cullen fits the description of what they're looking for. Has a history with Rutherford being on that 06 Canes Cup team too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad