The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Wouldn't you think Hughes gonna get 8.5-9.5 with all the crazy dmen contracts being given out or they going to do short term?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
With how cap is not going to go up until 4 years from now.

3 year bridge seems very obvious for both players.

$7.2m x 3 years for Pettersson
$5.5m x 3 years for Hughes

Slightly higher than expected, because of the escrow

Reactions: MarkMM

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Would like those deals. The cap is almost impossible to guess. Do we have full crowds in September? January this year or maybe 2022/23 season? Ownership has really stepped up this off season Team is well over the cap in real money so seems they are willing to invest in this uncertain environment.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Would like those deals. The cap is almost impossible to guess. Do we have full crowds in September? January this year or maybe 2022/23 season? Ownership has really stepped up this off season Team is well over the cap in real money so seems they are willing to invest in this uncertain environment.

doesn't really matter about the crowds as the CBA is 50/50 on the HRR, with escrow balancing all the ownership's losses.

That's why even with full attendence, it'll take 3 full years before the cap will go up against significantly, it's only slated to go up by $1m every year until everything is paid back.

basically, owners are fronting the losses to keep the league going, while the players are taking less every year to repay the owners.
Current players taking the hit so future players can have a professional league to come into.

Reactions: Ebbisen and MarkMM

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I honestly feel like Hughes should not get more than 6.5 given comps being Girard and Krug (undersized offensive Dmen with limited defensive instincts).

Regarding Pettersson, on a short term bridge if he really wants to win, i.e. he can leave cap open for other players, the Point deal 6.7x3 is what comes to mind.

I know it seems underwhelming compared to some of the numbers you see elsewhere, but if you want to win, this is what you do : Mackinnon and Point are great examples to follow.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Seems spot on in my opinion, good job. Girard Point as comps.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Edit: wrong thread. Will respond to this instead.

The cap isn't going up for at least another two years. The players banked a huge chunk of the 50/50 revenue split this past year while the owners basically deferred their portion of the split. I did the math a couple of months ago and, if I recall correctly, it looked like into year three before it balances, even if things come back strong.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hopefully we get Pettersson locked up long term. Hughes ideally as well, but I’d be less annoyed at a bridge deal for Hughes.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Isn't it dangerous signing EP to a three-year deal he could opt for Arb after that deal and then walk a UFA a year later no?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Or accept his QO of one year, ~7.5-8 (pending how deal is structured) and walk to UFA, yep.
Ya, so a 3-year deal sounds like a bad idea. Hoping a long-term deal can get done and we can move on with him locked up. I love Hughes but Pettersson is much more important in my opinion. As others have said Hughes on a bridge would be better to see what we have with him moving forward as well.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
We basically can’t lose on either Hughes or Petey unless they take major steps backwards…. If they don’t improve we still have major impactful players and if they decide their future lies elsewhere their value is huge and will return awesome assets

Reactions: Sinistril

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020

This would be nice and a fair contract for both. Leaves us money and space to add a player incase of injuries during the season and lots of cap space for brock, miller and horvats contracts

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Isn't it dangerous signing EP to a three-year deal he could opt for Arb after that deal and then walk a UFA a year later no?

If both sides are committed to building a winning team. That's what it would take.

It also would fit the narrative that EP would look at where the team is when he signs the next contract.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I keep thinking why would Jim care if he signs him to a 3-4 year deal where he could walk as a free agent, he won't be here? But then I remember there is a clear chance he will be. Jim Benning a 10 year tenured GM. Ugh.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That one year of team control is significant as the team can have a pretty good idea of whether the player will sign a long-term extension. If not, you have the Mark Stone situation where you can still recover significant assets in a trade.

On a bridge it's certainly a compromise. A 3 year bridge as opposed to 2 gives you one extra relatively affordable year vs less leverage to sign a deal that buys some UFA years (assuming it isn't desirable for a player to keep signing 1 year deals to get to UFA).

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Doesn’t a player making 925k take up more cap space than a player making 750k?

I think Pod should be kept up no matter what. But if we wanted to, couldn’t we send Rathbone down (to start with), and have brad hunt up in his place, who makes only 800k. This would be to maximize cap space.

There's no point measling around because Ferland's $3.5M will go to LTIR (for the entire season) and a new upper limit will be set. They might as well use all of the relief available, get as close to $85M as possible in order to get at least one of Pettersson & Hughes signed to some term and also allow themselves the flexibility to ice the best roster.

Cap projections have to allow for the solid possibility that both Podkolzin and Rathbone make the roster, plus it's preferable to have players with performance bonuses on the opening roster because if they are recalled from the minors their achievable performance bonuses will count against the LTI relief pool.

Reactions: elitepete

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
There's no point measling around because Ferland's $3.5M will go to LTIR (for the entire season) and a new upper limit will be set. They might as well use all of the relief available, get as close to $85M as possible in order to get at least one of Pettersson & Hughes signed to some term and also allow themselves the flexibility to ice the best roster.

Cap projections have to allow for the solid possibility that both Podkolzin and Rathbone make the roster, plus it's preferable to have players with performance bonuses on the opening roster because if they are recalled from the minors their achievable performance bonuses will count against the LTI relief pool.
I think I kind of understand it now lol

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

And even if we are some how short some, we can start Rathbone and Podkolzin in Abbotsford, call them up for game days, and send them right back down on paper, and probably for real if there are AHL games to be played within the team's travel considerations.

They are waiver excempt so why not?

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I honestly feel like Hughes should not get more than 6.5 given comps being Girard and Krug (undersized offensive Dmen with limited defensive instincts).

Regarding Pettersson, on a short term bridge if he really wants to win, i.e. he can leave cap open for other players, the Point deal 6.7x3 is what comes to mind.

I know it seems underwhelming compared to some of the numbers you see elsewhere, but if you want to win, this is what you do : Mackinnon and Point are great examples to follow.

I think this is very optimistic. Mackinnon was a 50 point player when he signed his current contract. Maybe you refer to him saying he'll take a cut next time too (which is a bit of silly thing to say as he didn't take a pay cut last time, he just blossomed after he signed his current contract) but that cut will still mean he gets say 10 mil I think.

Also if I were a Canucks fan I'd be thrilled to see Hughes sign for less than 7.

Something's got to give.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Can someone please let me know whether we have enough cap space to sign them both for long terms?

How much cap space do we have left? I know about the number on capfriendly but I believe you can send players down right.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think this is very optimistic. Mackinnon was a 50 point player when he signed his current contract. Maybe you refer to him saying he'll take a cut next time too (which is a bit of silly thing to say as he didn't take a pay cut last time, he just blossomed after he signed his current contract) but that cut will still mean he gets say 10 mil I think.

Also if I were a Canucks fan I'd be thrilled to see Hughes sign for less than 7.

Something's got to give.

I think these 5.5M comparables to Hughes are laughable. It's a self fulfilling prophecy because when Hughes gets the 7.5 he should probably be around, fans that thought 5.5 will try to use it as an example of Benning's failures.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone please let me know whether we have enough cap space to sign them both for long terms?

How much cap space do we have left? I know about the number on capfriendly but I believe you can send players down right.

About 16.6 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad