The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As someone who has never minded Dater in the past, even I got to say that I found that article to be ridiculous and insulting, even as he was saying "this is no slight to Gabe Landeskog!" How else would anyone take that? Of course it's a slight to him. He's saying that Duchene would be a better leader, but offering no substantive reasoning/data to backup that argument.

Plain and simple it was dumb

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Oh, Dater doing the "Duchene should be captain instead of Landeskog" one again? I love it when he plays the hits.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landy displaying his captain abilities.

BX2rrIxCEAAMTw6.jpg:large

I had to post it in this thread as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=689400&navid=nhl:topheads

Avs power rankings for the week, ranked #5.

The more important or interesting thing IMO is the Tavares/Duchene stat bubble.

Duchene, has the much higher P/60, and the significantly lower Offensive zone starts. He's also got a better team shooting and save percentage when he's on the ice compared to Tavares.

I had a much larger post about the blurb, but accidently deleted it :facepalm:

But basically, I really don't see how anyone can make a logical argument to say Tavares is easily better then Duchene, like so many people on HF Boards seem to think.

And in fact, based on those stats and Duchene's play this year, I really don't think I'm being a homer when I say I would take Duchene over Tavares if I had to pick one of them.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Duchene, has the much higher P/60, and the significantly lower Offensive zone starts. He's also got a better team shooting and save percentage when he's on the ice compared to Tavares.

But basically, I really don't see how anyone can make a logical argument to say Tavares is easily better then Duchene, like so many people on HF Boards seem to think.

And in fact, based on those stats and Duchene's play this year, I really don't think I'm being a homer when I say I would take Duchene over Tavares if I had to pick one of them.

By history. Tavares was bit better last year and especially year before that, when Duchene struggled. This year It's really close again.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

to be fair, that is a lot about luck, esp on small sample size.

i think tavares is better but it's not 'ainec' level.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Some advanced stats are better than others for player comparisons. PDO right now especially is bad because the team's save % is pulling up everyone's PDO. I think Corsi % and O Zone starts are the most interesting/relevant here.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I guess Dater's backtracking a bit on his captaincy thoughts.

Three takeaways from Saturday's Avs win over Montreal...
1. Alex Tanguay's knee injury - which could be bad - moved Nathan MacKinnon to his spot at right wing on a line with Stastny and Landeskog. It paid off right away, in a game-winning goal. Look for MacK to stay there if Tanguay is on the shelf a while. 2. J.S. Giguere continues to turn back the clock. He hasn't played as much as Semyon Varlamov, but he has been as good as him - and then some. 3. Landeskog was a real leader tonight. Maybe he is the right captain for this team after all. More on the game here:

His Sulia Post

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The Captain role is so overblown by fans.

How many players do we have on this team over 30? A Captain is great if he's in his low to mid 30s, produces, and is teaching some youngins to play but I don't see that role here at all. What's Lando going to teach MacKinnon about the rigors of NHL playoff hockey?

The leader on this team is Roy. The captain role on this team is just convincing the player's Fri/Sat night buddies to not overindulge in alcohol, stay away from the ladies, and go to bed at a decent hour.

I could be wrong, but honestly...what value is a captain bringing to a young squad like this, especially when the captain is part of the young squad?

That being said, I think 5 years down the road Lando is an exceptional captain. Because he's growing with it. But Roy is steering the ship 150%

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I completely disagree. I'm not going to pretend to know how a NHL dressing room operates but it's selling Landy, and any other young captain, way short to say he doesn't do much because he isn't 30 years old. He may not be able to tell MacKinnon about playoff hockey but he can tell him about what it's like to be a very high draft pick and have success and how he won the Calder and how he went through adversity and a disappointing season. Landy leads by example, his play on the ice reflects that. He's accountable win or lose. He's a great bridge between the fans, management, the media and the team. Sure there are several leaders on the team, Jiggy is probably the biggest leader, but Landy is one of them too.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not sure we can write-in Duchene on Team Canada unless he keeps up his production and remains healthy. Stamkos was left off of 2010 despite being on route to a second straight 90 point season. If Duchene had a memorable season last year, I'd be more optimistic.

Stamko's hadn't even scored 50 yet when the 2010 games happened. He had 20+ goals the previous season. He still should have been on the team IMO tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00