The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm too lazy to search right now but may do so later unless one of y'all can provide the answers for me...Can anyone tell me what year the AVs had the most players involved in the Olympics...and then as a follow up (bonus question) what year we had the most countries represented?

Not sure if it was the most but we had a lot in 1998.

Canada: Sakic, Roy, and Foote
Sweden: Forsberg
USA: Deadmarsh
Russia: Kamensky and Gusarov
Czech: Hejduk (He hadn't played for us yet but he was still Avs property)
Finland: Kurry

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
From wikipedia (their source is down):

The season paused in February for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. The Avalanche sent an NHL leading 11 players from eight countries. Finnish Antti Laaksonen got the silver medal, while Ossi Vaananen ended up not playing because of an injury; Czech Milan Hejduk won a bronze medal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it is pretty much certain that at least one member of the Avalanche will be bringing home a medal, most likely Gold (and others)

Considering that we will have players on Canada (Duchene), USA (Stastny and probably EJ), Sweden (Landeskog), Czech Republic (probably Hejda), and Russia (Varly) I think the odds are good that one of them will bring home the gold medal and at least one more will bring home a silver or bronze.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Not sure we can write-in Duchene on Team Canada unless he keeps up his production and remains healthy. Stamkos was left off of 2010 despite being on route to a second straight 90 point season. If Duchene had a memorable season last year, I'd be more optimistic.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Of course contingent on health but that's true for all of them. I know Duchene is far from a lock but I don't think he was as much of a long shot as some made him out to be before the season started either. Even if his pace slows a bit I think they still give him strong consideration.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure we can write-in Duchene on Team Canada unless he keeps up his production and remains healthy. Stamkos was left off of 2010 despite being on route to a second straight 90 point season. If Duchene had a memorable season last year, I'd be more optimistic.

Stamkos was en route to his 1st 90 point season. He only had a 46 point season and a good start to the season under his belt. The 2010 Olympics were during his sophomore year, and he was only 20.

Duchene will be 23, and has a much more well rounded game than Stamkos then. Plus what many of us think will be pretty good chemistry with Crosby, which is something that Team Canada has a tougher time than you would think finding.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Dater is such a moron. He just wrote yet another article on how Duchene should be the captain. Would he just shut the hell up already? Did Adam Foote, Patrick Roy, Ray Bourque, and Chris Drury all deserve to wear the C over Joe Sakic just because they were more vocal and had different leadership styles than quiet Joe who just went about his business leading on the ice?

Seriously why does he keep bringing up this ridiculous subject of stripping Gabe of the C, and think it won't come off as Pejorative Slured if he writes a disclaimer that it's not a slight to Landeskog. Who the hell is he fooling? Of Course he's trying to slight Landeskog. He's saying he's not a good leader, which everyone that knows anything knows he's done nothing but establish himself as a born leader at every level he's been at. Idiot.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Dater is such a moron. He just wrote yet another article on how Duchene should be the captain. Would he just shut the hell up already? Did Adam Foote, Patrick Roy, Ray Bourque, and Chris Drury all deserve to wear the C over Joe Sakic just because they were more vocal and had different leadership styles than quiet Joe who just went about his business leading on the ice?

Seriously why does he keep bringing up this ridiculous subject of stripping Gabe of the C, and think it won't come off as Pejorative Slured if he writes a disclaimer that it's not a slight to Landeskog. Who the hell is he fooling? Of Course he's trying to slight Landeskog. He's saying he's not a good leader, which everyone that knows anything knows he's done nothing but establish himself as a born leader at every level he's been at. Idiot.

it's your fault for giving his blog hits

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

After the campaign for a new regime on here turned out to be successful, we probably should start lobbying for new beatwriters next. ;)

Dater and Chambers are an embarassment. How those guys managed to become our beatwriters is a mystery in itself.Some people are just lucky I guess.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog, Stastny, Varly and the others Dater has called out one way or another probably think he's a moron but are professional enough to give him proper answers in interviews.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I am so ****ing pissed off at that Dater article. Last night he asks for article ideas because he can't think of anything to write about on a 10-1 team where every single player has chipped in and has a story of some sort. I saw a lot of great ideas suggested and he goes back to the default of writing about the ****ing captaincy. If he wants to write about how amazing Duchene is then great! But he's just cheapening the praise by doing this.

Unfortunately it does matter what Dater writes because he's the beat writer for the only newspaper in town. And that's not a blog post, it's a column and it's going to be in the ****ing paper tomorrow.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Avs are 10-1, Duchene has 5 more points than Landeskog, better change the captain!!:scared:

We could seriously sticky a thread with all the incorrect/stupid ideas Dater has. He's in a pretty unique situation where he can be relatively poor at his job, and at the same time face no threat to it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roy needs to put Dater in his place.

O'Reilly should be captain, Giguere should be captain, Duchene should be captain, etc. So anyone but Landeskog according to Dater?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landy was and will continue to be the right choice. ROR was holding out. Duchene puts enough pressure on himself and wasn't ready for the captaincy at the point it was given out (coming off a terrible year where he had to start seeing a sports psychologist). Hejduk didn't want it. EJ needed to focus on his game more than trying to lead the team. McLeod should never have more than an A on his sweater.

Really the choice was Landy or Stastny, and out of those two the choice is very clear.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, that Dater article pisses me off too. The team is 10-1..... why mess with anything, much less the captaincy. The article is as bad as Kizsla's

Last edited:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Articles like this isn't surprising coming from this hack. It's been clear since he came into the league that Duchene is Daters favorite.

I like how he manages to toss Landy under the bus and get in a good dig at ROR. All that was missng was his usual slam against Stastny.

It's too bad Frei is a part timer. He is Soooooo much better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
it's your fault for giving his blog hits

That's why I didn't link to it.

It doesn't matter though. With how god awful Dater and Chambers are, they should have been canned years ago, but since there's no other competition to worry about the Post has absolutely no standards, so they keep their jobs and write this horse crap non stop.

If anything, the only way to see a change is to voice enough displeasure with them, that they either start actually trying to do a good job, or someone higher up eventually has enough pride in their paper to do something about the piss poor reputation their employees have given it.

As fans we like this team and it's players, especially a warrior that gives everything he has like Landeskog. I actually feel bad for him that Dater started this ridiculous campaign to strip him of the C of his own volition, and won't let it go because he's too dump and lazy to actually think of any stories that a fan would want to hear about.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
I am so ****ing pissed off at that Dater article. Last night he asks for article ideas because he can't think of anything to write about on a 10-1 team where every single player has chipped in and has a story of some sort.

It's because he's a miserable wretch who only finds pleasure in complaining and criticizing. The Avs are 10-1, so he doesn't have much material to work with so far. Thus, he goes back to one of his stock moves, which is the captaincy. This is why I don't read anything that pathetic joke of a "journalist" vomits into print. He and that piece of garbage, Mark Kiszla, aren't worth the seconds I'd lose off my life to read their drivel.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
One of the HF youngins' from Denver should go to journalism school so they can replace Dater/Chambers :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What I "love" about Dater is that he often talks about how he's an ink-stained wretch that adheres to old-school journalism, like he's some paragon of journalistic integrity. He often talks about how much of a no-no it is to root for the team he's covering...but then he immediately jumps into the fray and starts stirring the pudding with articles like this. Quite humorous actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00