The Out of Town Thread XCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Found this funny... Bruins poster commenting on Tyler Seguin trade video...

"If I was the Bruins owner, I would fire everyone that speaks in that video, possibly even those that don't speak but appear on camera. I might also fire the camera crew for not trying to stop the madness.

I would not speak during the exit interview, just play this clip on a constant feedback and just keep staring at them while drinking scotch."

They traded Seguin to make room for Nathan Horton?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Found this funny... Bruins poster commenting on Tyler Seguin trade video...

"If I was the Bruins owner, I would fire everyone that speaks in that video, possibly even those that don't speak but appear on camera. I might also fire the camera crew for not trying to stop the madness.

I would not speak during the exit interview, just play this clip on a constant feedback and just keep staring at them while drinking scotch."

This made my day. What a messed up saga. They basically snag Seguin from the Leafs for Kessel. A gift. Then they turn around and ship him off because they're impatient and doesn't play "Bruins" hockey.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
What about the cap hell the Bruins are in? The bad contracts he gave with NTCs and NMCs? What about the cap penalties from Iginla's contract? He brought them a cup but he destroyed the ship just to get there. I personally don't think he's one of the best GMs.

"Destroyed the ship"? Man they won the Cup in 2011, got back to the finals in 2013, finished 1st or 2nd in their division every year since the Cup win...I can only pray Bergevin ruins the Habs in the same way.

I'll take cap hell and some NMCs for a STANLEY CUP a hundred times a day. Is that seriously a question?

Last edited:

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I wonder had the trade never happened if he would have eventually told the world his name is really pronounced Seh-Gwin.

Analyzer*

I'm not sure why many of you are going to the leafs board, when this board turns out worse most of the time.

I'm the bad guy for pointing out the short comings of this team, but when the team is losing and everyone does it, it's fine.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
oilers lost 18 of their last 19, blows a big lead in a spectacular fashion, and still allowed 40 shots.

mind boggling

The organization and on ice product is pathetic. It is one of the worst run sports franchises in NA. After seeing the Oilers getting worse, it boggles the mind that the whole management structure is not removed for another. The players that they drafted a few years back are now vets, and are under-performing. In 2012 they drafted Yakupov when they needed defense, and a goalie. They could have traded the number 1 pick for the 5th to 10th overall pick. They could have drafted Reilly, Lindholm, or Trouba and gotten prospects/vets. To fix that mess will require a herculean effort and vision, something this management team does not have.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Was Seguin traded for hockey reasons?Or was it something else?

If you watch the video posted on the last page it seems like it was more hockey than not (Seguin's off-ice partying issues have been mentioned and they do allude to them briefly in the video but not much). They said he relied too much on his skill, wasn't improving quickly enough in areas where coaches wanted to see improvement, didn't show enough jam, weren't sure if he fit into the "Bruins culture" etc.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If you watch the video posted on the last page it seems like it was more hockey than not (Seguin's off-ice partying issues have been mentioned and they do allude to them briefly in the video but not much). They said he relied too much on his skill, wasn't improving quickly enough in areas where coaches wanted to see improvement, didn't show enough jam, weren't sure if he fit into the "Bruins culture" etc.

aka he needs to drool on himself more and threaten people in the media.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Was Seguin traded for hockey reasons?Or was it something else?

Mostly something else (attitude and work ethic), but I think they also expected more out of him for the '13 playoffs, and might have panicked when he didn't quite emerge as a superstar (on any "consistent" basis, anyway, or in the "Bruins' mold") in time to beat the Hawks for that Cup (ironically that was his most productive series). Peverley, also a playoff disappointment, was sent with him. Of course, Seguin was PPG with Dallas the following year and getting some Hart love, lol.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You guys really have to stop going to other boards and and pulling quotes or entire threads and posting them here. It's against the rules.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Destroyed the ship"? Man they won the Cup in 2011, got back to the finals in 2013, finished 1st or 2nd in their division every year since then...I can only pray Bergevin ruins the Habs in the same way.

I'll take cap hell and some NMCs for a STANLEY CUP a hundred times a day. Is that seriously a question?
Wasn't too long ago that all of us were thinking that Chiarelli was a genius for putting together that club and ripping off the Leafs blind. Overall he's done a great job over there.

That being said, it's nice to see this Seguin thing blowing up in Boston's face. What a mistake it's turned out to be.
You guys really have to stop going to other boards and and pulling quotes or entire threads and posting them here. It's against the rules.
It's dangerous when folks post links from other boards. Somebody did it from the B's board last year and I came in with all kinds of smack talk on it thinking it was our board... :laugh:

Realized what I had done and quickly edited it but man it would've been permaban material over there... kind of like if I were posting my "The Passion That Unites Us All" artwork on a Leaf forum. You aren't going to last long here doing that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Speaking of which:

98rq03.png

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
It's dangerous when folks post links from other boards. Somebody did it from the B's board last year and I came in with all kinds of smack talk on it thinking it was our board... :laugh:

Realized what I had done and quickly edited it but man it would've been permaban material over there... kind of like if I were posting my "The Passion That Unites Us All" artwork on a Leaf forum. You aren't going to last long here doing that.

We definitely got the best mods on our board :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Wow, that video about Bruins management makes some of the guys look bad. :laugh:

Trade Seguin because he doesn't fit with the Bruins 'culture'... :shakehead

I think guys like Chara and Lucic take too much place in that dressing room.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure why many of you are going to the leafs board, when this board turns out worse most of the time.

I'm the bad guy for pointing out the short comings of this team, but when the team is losing and everyone does it, it's fine.

I can't speak for the leaf board, because I don't go there.

As far as the shortcomings go, you're not the bad guy, youre part a very large group that thinks the same, win or loss. Either that, or the vast majority of this community are "the bad guys".

As far as chiarelli goes, its a classic model for the "what have you done for me lately" culture of pro sports.

Chiarelli is not the genius he was touted to be when he was hoisting the cup, and he's not as idiotic as he appears now.

There will come a time when MB is going to lose his grip on this team, it doesn't mean he just becomes incompetent, its just the cyclical nature of the job, and very few people are immune to it.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wow, that video about Bruins management makes some of the guys look bad. :laugh:

Trade Seguin because he doesn't fit with the Bruins 'culture'... :shakehead

I think guys like Chara and Lucic take too much place in that dressing room.

Without excusing a bad trade too much, I think it gives interesting insight into building a Cup contender. I think most fans would assemble the most guys who score a lot of points, which would be a Cup winner on paper but maybe not on the ice.

Even in that video, one of their guys acknowledges Seguin will be a star. So maybe they didn't think he'd be this good, but they knew he'd be good. And they sacrificed a good player to try to build whatever team they thought was necessary to win a Cup. Time will tell if it was the smart move or not.

Compare it to the Joe Thornton trade. On paper, the Bruins unquestionably lost that trade. On the ice, well, as a direct or indirect result of the trade, they won a Cup. Would they have won that Cup with Thornton? Maybe, maybe not.

If Seguin racks up Art Rosses and Richard trophies in Dallas but never gets a Cup...but Boston manages to put together a team that wins another Cup in the meantime...do they still lose the trade? On paper, sure, but I think that's a trade they're happy to lose.

Anyway not saying Boston or Chiarelli are right in moving Seguin (it certainly doesn't look like a good idea now)...just saying that I think there's more to winning a Cup than stockpiling guys who can put up points. Or at least, that's what GMs think. Doesn't stop them from doing stuff that looks stupid to us though.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Although I Love to hear what the GM and his assistants feels about a certain player.. these meetings should be kept private..

Now on the other hand.. I just love how stupid they all look now... . I thought Brian Benning was going to cry when they said Horton was done in Boston... lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I can't speak for the leaf board, because I don't go there.

As far as the shortcomings go, you're not the bad guy, youre part a very large group that thinks the same, win or loss. Either that, or the vast majority of this community are "the bad guys".

As far as chiarelli goes, its a classic model for the "what have you done for me lately" culture of pro sports.

Chiarelli is not the genius he was touted to be when he was hoisting the cup, and he's not as idiotic as he appears now.

There will come a time when MB is going to lose his grip on this team, it doesn't mean he just becomes incompetent, its just the cyclical nature of the job, and very few people are immune to it.
I'm in the camp that sees him as a good GM who made a mistake.

The guy ripped the Leafs off blind in not one but two trades and built a pretty good team that went on to win a cup. At one point it was looking like he may have even put together a team that was going to contend for years to come.

In hindsight the Seguin trade doesn't just look bad, it looks awful. From his perspective though he was trying to 'win it now' and obviously they didn't believe this guy could do it. So he takes the risk and comes up a big loser on it. Now it seems like an obvious mistake and perhaps it always was, but at the very least it's an understandable one. I think it was a bad move but part of me can at least see where he was coming from in doing what he did.

The problem is that when you make a mistake of that magnitude people are not very quick to forgive it. Many folks over there want this guy's head now and it's probably the wrong thing to ask for because I still see this guy as a good GM.

One thing to note though... they never put Seguin in his natural position before trading him. That really might've been the biggest mistake of all. The Dallas Stars commented that they loved the fact that Seguin had learned a two way game in Boston but they felt they had misused him by playing him on the wing. He goes to center and immediately has success. It's a little similar to Galchenyuk this season in his first game where his Corsi was something ridiculous like 97 percent or something like that. Maybe if they'd let Seguin at least play in that role to start the year and remained a little more patient they would've seen the results...

Anyways, I'm glad they didn't. I'm glad they ****ed up. And I hope they fire Chiarelli and hire Pierre Gauthier going forward. :laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Without excusing a bad trade too much, I think it gives interesting insight into building a Cup contender. I think most fans would assemble the most guys who score a lot of points, which would be a Cup winner on paper but maybe not on the ice.

I see what you mean and I agree to a certain extent.

Trading Seguin, in itself, might not have been a mistake. But one thing is sure, Chiarelli grossly misestimated what he had in hand by wanting to keep a guy like Horton over Seguin. And that is a huge mistake.

Should have gotten much more for Seguin. If you can't, you just keep him until a satisfactory trade becomes possible. It was plain and simple easy for everyone to see that, as a 21 yo. Seguin was just getting started. Keep him, his value will just go up.

But no, Bruins will instead hold on to some of their assets whose value is only going down: Chara, Lucic etc.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I see what you mean and I agree to a certain extent.

Trading Seguin, in itself, might not have been a mistake. But one thing is sure, Chiarelli grossly misestimated what he had in hand by wanting to keep a guy like Horton over Seguin. And that is a huge mistake.

Well that's kind of my point. Chiarelli isn't an idiot. He has access to HockeyDB.com like the rest of us. It would have taken him 3 seconds to look up the fact that Seguin's 67 points in 2011-12 are more than Horton has ever put up in a single season. He knows that a 21 year old Seguin has outproduced a 28 year old Horton and would likely keep outproducing him. So obviously there's more to it than numbers. Yet he knew all of that and still wanted Horton over Seguin. So, why? Because he thinks there's more to winning a Stanley Cup than accumulating players who can put up points.

Analyzer*

Panthers and Penguins play tonight. After last game it could be a little entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad