The Out of Town Thread XCII

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I just noticed something.

There's ****ing dek hockey on my TV right now. It's on RDS-2.

Do they pay for their air time? Or is this a thing RDS does to fill time?

It's intracity in Joliette! The Mean Machine VS Creation Style Plus.

I caught the tail end of it.

I have financed some of these productions before. RDS hires independent producers to put together the broadcasts for the "fringe" sports. These producers front all the cash and pay the production expenses (crew, cameras, etc...) out of pocket, and basically get their money back usually from local sponsors and the town.

These small time local sports bring a lot of cash and publicity to these small towns/leagues/etc... They are willing to subsidise the production costs because having this stuff televised in turn makes the events bigger and brings in more people from outside.

RDS then shares some of the ad revenues, but they basically pay nothing at all for these shows, and the producers take pretty big risks sometimes.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
...my God, Pavelec sucks...Jets need to run with Hutchinson...

Either that or just admit Lecavalier has still got it. :sarcasm:

What did B. Schenn do to Byfluglien to get him so ticked off? Like that was going to end in Schenn's favour, which of course it didn't.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So what's everyone's guess for this Toronto road trip? 6 more games. I guess they'll win 1, maybe 2.

1-4-2

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
For all the fun I had at the expense of Dek Hockey and Mini-Putt tonight, gotta mention a man waiting almost 15 years to make his NHL debut making it tonight and he won his game, so job well done to DEL alumni Rob Zepp! Usually the road between the DEL and the NHL is quite the one-way street.

He has this real recognizable name to the point where I had to look it up to make sure it was his debut, I really thought he had a run with Carolina but apparently not, so yeah, NHL debut at age 33.

Feel good story, really.

Oldest goalie to debut since the 70's, oldest goalie to win their debut EVER. A guy in 1926 debuted at age 41, but he had been in the Pacific Coast league so he was in the bigs, still.

Last edited:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
So what's everyone's guess for this Toronto road trip? 6 more games. I guess they'll win 1, maybe 2.

1-4-2

Arena will still be full when they come back from the trip, everything is fine.

Gotta love that they play themselves out of the playoffs and out of good draft picks at the same time. At least the Oilers draft high, they'd get better if they'd take better care of their prospects...

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Saw Vleminckx in an interview reminiscing about the Golden Age of Mini-Putt. He's convinced that given the right set of circumstances it can be huge again. Maybe megasuperstars like Gilles Buissières and Carl Carmoni could bring the fans back?

Needs Suzanne & André Buist to have a snowball chance in Hell to make a comeback ;)

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Bussiere-Gilles-et-Lucie-19911-300x213.jpg

The great Gilles Bussière on the left with his double's Partner Lucie.

Just to update you guys on the mini-golf. It won't be back on TV for a couple of reasons:
- There is no one playing it anymore. 3 years ago, they had difficulty getting 20 ppl for tourneys.
- Most mini-golf are closing in Qc. Not sustanaible for the owners.
- The old crew (Noel, Carl Carmoni, Bussiere) have big issues and can't work well with each other.

Source: me playing with these guys 3-4 years ago.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Just to update you guys on the mini-golf. It won't be back on TV for a couple of reasons:
- There is no one playing it anymore. 3 years ago, they had difficulty getting 20 ppl for tourneys.
- Most mini-golf are closing in Qc. Not sustanaible for the owners.
- The old crew (Noel, Carl Carmoni, Bussiere) have big issues and can't work well with each other.

Source: me playing with these guys 3-4 years ago.

hqdefault.jpg

All kidding aside:

Sad to see mini-golf courses disappearing from the map. Coolest cheap activity to do in the summer. That, and another endangered species, drive-ins (ciné-parcs). The memories...

(when you guys have kids, you'll understand :nod:)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Well you're all welcome in my town to play Mini-Golf. Just don't expect a great scenery... You have an high school that looks like a prison in the background. Lots of people go, I go at least once a year.

Plus, you do get Tim's and McDonald's for after the game, if you're into that. One year, we bet burgers on every hole, I won a McChicken and two Double Cheeseburgers, AND intentionally lost on every hole someone bet a Big Mac, that **** is VILE.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
oilers lost 18 of their last 19, blows a big lead in a spectacular fashion, and still allowed 40 shots.

mind boggling

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
oilers lost 18 of their last 19, blows a big lead in a spectacular fashion, and still allowed 40 shots.

mind boggling

Once the oil price drop hits the pockets of the companies providing the corporate support that fills the arena - especially the suites - Katz and Lowe will realize the actual fan that's a paying customer is quite a bit less than they think, might survive this season as it's already paid for and booked but next season won't be so lucky, if the team is still crap they won't be able to draw on any of those non-paying fans he segregated from to make up the difference

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Found this funny... Bruins poster commenting on Tyler Seguin trade video...

"If I was the Bruins owner, I would fire everyone that speaks in that video, possibly even those that don't speak but appear on camera. I might also fire the camera crew for not trying to stop the madness.

I would not speak during the exit interview, just play this clip on a constant feedback and just keep staring at them while drinking scotch."

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm so glad that franchise is so stuck on "playing our way" and a specific culture because it's biting them in the ass. Eventually Dougie Hamilton won't try and gauge someone's eye and squirt someone with water and they'll trade him for a bunch of grinders.

Seriously, Cam Neely said they need to move him because he's not progressing quick enough in certain areas the coaching staff is looking for. Yeah, you want him to be a grinding power forward when he's a highly skilled player. So dumb, thank god our GM isn't just Therrien in a nicer suit.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
My fantasy team would be happy if he became the starter in Winnipeg.

I picked up Pavelec as a throw in in a trade the other day because I needed a bit of goalie depth (my goalies were Price, Crawford and Lehtonen - Crawford is getting hurt every 2 weeks and Lehtonen is ****ing garbage this year)...last night was Pavelec's big debut with my team, wasn't too thrilled at the result. Plus Lehtonen got pulled vs. Edmonton, just a bad night all around :laugh: :facepalm:

Seriously, Cam Neely said they need to move him because he's not progressing quick enough in certain areas the coaching staff is looking for. Yeah, you want him to be a grinding power forward when he's a highly skilled player. So dumb, thank god our GM isn't just Therrien in a nicer suit.

Let's not go crazy, Chiarelli is still one of the best GMs in the game and brought Boston a Cup. If anything that just goes to show even in the best in the game can get it horribly, horribly wrong sometimes.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I picked up Pavelec as a throw in in a trade the other day because I needed a bit of goalie depth (my goalies were Price, Crawford and Lehtonen - Crawford is getting hurt every 2 weeks and Lehtonen is ****ing garbage this year)...last night was Pavelec's big debut with my team, wasn't too thrilled at the result. Plus Lehtonen got pulled vs. Edmonton, just a bad night all around :laugh: :facepalm:

Let's not go crazy, Chiarelli is still one of the best GMs in the game and brought Boston a Cup. If anything that just goes to show even in the best in the game can get it horribly, horribly wrong sometimes.

That's a pretty big mistake though. It's not like they signed Clarkson and have an anchor contract. They traded their scoring leader and most skilled player because he didn't fit into a culture, a culture of ridiculousness. They wanted to trade him to make room for Nathan ****ing Horton. For me, this was beyond making a poor decision and speaks to the flaws in their organization.

Maybe I'm just bitter becasue they won a cup, but I don't think that team should have won. They got all the breaks in the world, but I guess that's what it takes to win.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

"If I was the Bruins owner, I would fire everyone that speaks in that video, possibly even those that don't speak but appear on camera. I might also fire the camera crew for not trying to stop the madness.

I would not speak during the exit interview, just play this clip on a constant feedback and just keep staring at them while drinking scotch."

Man, that was bad. A star player doesn't fit the culture so they trade him. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Oh well, at least he's out of the conference now. :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

mind boggling
There's just... no plan over there. It's just unintentional tanking year after year after year...

Completely forgot about that Comrie fiasco that was raised in the last thread but man, that just says it all. Could've had Corey Perry and a 1st for a player they wanted to get rid of but they just pull out a ridiculous "you have to make up the difference yourself" crap... then Lowe lectures everyone on knowing how to win.

And now they're supposedly saying that Taylor Hall doesn't fit with the culture...

Chuck Barris would do a better job running that team.

I'll watch the video later but that is just about the funniest quote I've read on here in at least a month.

Huge gamble for them that didn't pay off and thank the Lord because that team would've been a powerhouse for the next decade if they'd kept him.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Always thought Seguin was a perfect match for the Bruins. He's got that arrogant grin that makes you want to punch him.

Amazing to hear those guys in the video, including Neely, saying he's not buying into their system. Did Chiarelli say he would take 1st, 2nd and prospect in that video? Man, probably lots of GMs regretting they didn't make a strong offer for him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

:laugh:

I want to turn this into a movie with John Malkovich and Ben Afleck.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

What about the cap hell the Bruins are in? The bad contracts he gave with NTCs and NMCs? What about the cap penalties from Iginla's contract? He brought them a cup but he destroyed the ship just to get there. I personally don't think he's one of the best GMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad