The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I think it's a double standard to want energy line players to finish their checks while also clamour for their suspension everytime something goes wrong.

Lapierre did not raise his elbows, jump up, charge, use his stick or target Boyle à la Strong Hockey Play. The puck was there, Boyle wasn't even fully turned back, if Lapierre totally let up the entire forum would call him a pansy and if the Blues lost the game he would've been benched and made a scapegoat.

It's a bad injury, an unfortunate development and so on. But if you can't finish your check then what is the point of forechecking? All the defence will do is turtle or spin around to neutralize the forechecker's options and I don't want to see that in hockey.

The main forum showed it's true, reactionary colours yet again today. Lapierre is a rat, Lapierre doesn't deserve a spot in the league, Lapierre this Lapierre that.

Enough - it's a full-contact game played on ice at increasingly faster speeds -- there will be slips and accidents and spills and slides. Skates will cut, players will be boarded, some will even get really hurt. That's the sport we watch.

Seems to me that people can coalesce their bloodlust with their gulty concience every time a player happens to get injured. Lapierre isn't at fault here (and frankly, he wasn't in 2010 when he hit Clowe either) tonight, it was the ice.

The near-boards protocol has changed , players like Lapierre need to adapt. The term finish-your-check has too long been a euphemism for getting a late hit in after the puck is gone. Players should be forced to speed up their play and make quick decisions but they should not be vulnerable once the puck is clearly not in their possession.

Lapierre got his hands up on Boyle's back and pushed him from behind into the boards. The league wants to get rid of that. I can get behind that because I simply don't want to see players plowed into the boards head first.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Lapierre should be suspended yes, but what is the difference between this hit and the Lars Eller hit? In one case there's a serious injury? I see the same hit personally. That's a pathetic way of establishing standards. As long as the league establishes rulings like that, there will be double standards in this league and events like this one.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Man, I think its unfortunate there's no poll about the best dman in the league on the main boards.... Bunch of hypocrites :laugh:

We have to wait for Karlsson to be 100% to make such a poll. Can som Sens fans tell us what's the word on the street in Ottawa? 71%???

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If Boyle doesn't hit his chin on the dasher, no one looks twice at the hit. The outcome was awful, but it was far from the dirtiest hit I've seen. Lapierre will get suspended solely based on reputation and injury.

Analyzer*

Players get hit from behind quite frequently. It all depends on how they hit the boards that a penalty, or suspension will come from the hit.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
If Boyle doesn't hit his chin on the dasher, no one looks twice at the hit. The outcome was awful, but it was far from the dirtiest hit I've seen. Lapierre will get suspended solely based on reputation and injury.
You know, if reputation and injury factor in heavily to suspension decisions, I'm OK with that. Hopefully it would act as a deterrent.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You know, if reputation and injury factor in heavily to suspension decisions, I'm OK with that. Hopefully it would act as a deterrent.

Yeah I think if it was a hit by, say Zetterberg there would be no suspension, but because it's Max he'll get 3-5 games.

It was on the numbers, but not a vicious "head hunting" type hit. Boyle fell awkwardly and his jaw hit the dasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad