The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

Man i would of taken laviolette as a coach so fast, philly just stinks

I personally think their roster is actually damn good, they just aren't playing a system designed for that sort of roster

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I personally think their roster is actually damn good, they just aren't playing a system designed for that sort of roster

Their defense and goaltending is always going to hold them back, but beyond that I do think the players have just tuned out Lavy at this point, happens even to good coaches.

I posted this in the other thread that got locked, but I wanted some input from the posters around here to see if I forgot any obvious dives or embellishments from last year:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...les-a-recap-of-the-worst-culprits-last-season

I don't remember any in particular but I'm sure there are a couple of Kadri dives that could easily make that.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I don't remember any in particular but I'm sure there are a couple of Kadri dives that could easily make that.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Kadri this year. I know he acted at least once vs us in the home opener.

I have to admit, I was somewhat focused on Bruins when looking up dives. To my defense...there was a lot of Bruins footage to go through. :laugh:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Kadri this year. I know he acted at least once vs us in the home opener.

I have to admit, I was somewhat focused on Bruins when looking up dives. To my defense...there was a lot of Bruins footage to go through. :laugh:

Kind of interesting that the teams that pride themselves on being the toughest tend to have the worst divers. Philly was pretty bad a few years ago, Boston might be the worst in the league, especially when you factor in their obsession with it.

Not sure where our reputation has come from besides projection. Every team dives, Subban, Plekanec and Desharnais are a little worse than most, now we have Briere who is definitely a guilty party at it. I don't think any of these guys except maybe Briere are as bad as Kadri or Lupul though.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Kind of interesting that the teams that pride themselves on being the toughest tend to have the worst divers. Philly was pretty bad a few years ago, Boston might be the worst in the league, especially when you factor in their obsession with it.

Not sure where our reputation has come from besides projection. Every team dives, Subban, Plekanec and Desharnais are a little worse than most, now we have Briere who is definitely a guilty party at it. I don't think any of these guys except maybe Briere are as bad as Kadri or Lupul though.

Prust will put himself in vulnerable positions to draw a boarding call. He does it fairly often. It's more of an embellishment than a dive, but he does it, there's no denying it. It's also fairly dangerous, but I digress.

Subban was pretty bad when he started, but you don't see it very often anymore.

I actually think that Marchand cleaned up his act of late as well.

To your point though, you couldn't be more correct; every team tries to draw calls. However only a select few whine and moan about it.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Good call with Prust, he's not the type to dive out of nowhere, but he definitely looks for calls by putting himself in the way to get fouled. Reminds me a lot of "charges" in basketball.

Emelin does that a lot too.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I always cringe when a player tries to draw a call in that fashion. I know they're making the choice, but I've seen a lot of players get taken out long term by hits from behind. Too risky, in my opinion, for what it brings, which is the oft chance of receiving a powerplay.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The Flyers need to inject some hockey IQ in their D squad, and some two way players in their top-9, because when a team get acces to their zone it's pretty easy to play a puck possession game and shoot from everywhere.

PricePkPatch*

The Flyer's coaching problem was exactly the same, but opposite than the one we had Under Jacques Martin.

They have very immobile, yet superstrong pylon. But Laviolette seemed to insist on an all-offense transition game. When you don't have a great passing/PMD D like Markov, Subban or Pronger to carry your first pairing breakout, it's a receipe for disaster. Laviolette never adjusted to the loss of Pronger. With a heavy-slow D-corps, they need to play a tighter game.

This is exactly the opposite of Montreal's problem Under Martin. We had great PMD and passer-Ds, but Martin insisted on an airtight system instead of relying on our strenghts.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I saw Galchenyuk do it just the other day, identical to the way Prust did it on I think it was Phaneuf.

If you're able to take the hit, I say why not.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I saw Galchenyuk do it just the other day, identical to the way Prust did it on I think it was Phaneuf.

If you're able to take the hit, I say why not.

There are two reasons I don't particular like it.

1) It's opening yourself up to a dangerous hit
2) It's embellishment and I despise it.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Berube is just another failure by Holmgren/Snider, cant see long term success in Philly with Berube.

Randy Cunneyworth type situation. I really hope this keeps the Flyers off balance long enough to take them out of the list of wildcard teams Montreal will be competing against.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
The Flyers presser is hilarious you guys need to watch it its on TSN.

My favourite question was when one reporter asked Holmgren and Snyder, "Why are you hiring a guy from within the organization when the organization hasn't won in 38 years?" I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he was saying the team has had a culture of not winning and why not hire someone from the outside instead of someone from within that culture of losing basically. You could see Snyder's head ready to explode.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
My favourite question was when one reporter asked Holmgren and Snyder, "Why are you hiring a guy from within the organization when the organization hasn't won in 38 years?" I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he was saying the team has had a culture of not winning and why not hire someone from the outside instead of someone from within that culture of losing basically. You could see Snyder's head ready to explode.

Keep making bad decisions Philly... I think as long as Holmgren isn't canned they will go nowhere. A change of culture is needed badly and that starts with the head.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB

He was also getting really friendly with his water bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->