The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
One is way more of a problem than the other.

I'll agree with that part. Guys are beating up guys all the time and no one cares. It's way more of a problem than the other.

I mean, look at this.

It's not the same thing and they don't send the same message. There is a very huge difference between a guy that punch a taxi driver and a other that get filmed punching his wife. Our society doesn't have a problem with violence against taxi driver.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Reading Lemaire's quotes, I get the feeling that He got rejected by Montreal, not the other way around.

« J’ai discuté avec le Canadien à un moment donné et j’étais enchanté de les rencontrer. Mais les choses n’ont pas tourné en ma faveur et c’est la raison pour laquelle je suis allé ailleurs », a-t-il confié en conférence téléphonique.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You write this:

And then these:

Really?

You state that we don't care about a man punching another man, we do care about a man punching a woman, so in your opinion, the logical step is to reinforce the already accepted notion that punching a woman is bad? Really?

Shouldn't we be working on changing the perception concerning violence by men against other men?

"Sports" didn't do anything. Attractive women choose to be with successful men, and somehow "sports" is at fault? That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're speaking of attractive women being used as a marketing tool, well, again, sports didn't do that either.

I think you're underestimating the stigma of being labelled a rapist.

#GamerGate

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Getting off-topic here, but some men are just so uncomfortable with the idea that they have it pretty good gender-wise, they just can't accept it. It's like they take it as a personal attack, which it isn't.

I agree.

They're probably the type of guy that goes around beating up other, smaller guys and keep getting away with it because no one cares.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Getting off-topic here, but some men are just so uncomfortable with the idea that they have it pretty good gender-wise, they just can't accept it. It's like they take it as a personal attack, which it isn't.

Anyways, I'm out. Let's get back to hockey. :laugh:

"Getting off topic here, but let me just make it even more so"

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
It also has better coaches than Montreal has. We could use an upgrade, even if just an assistant. If the Habs sputter despite the strength of their on-ice talent, while Toronto surprises despite trading away its most explosive player, this difference will become glaring.

That's like believing Santa is real, and he's having dinner with the Easter bunny.

There's no way they surprise, and the only way we sputter is if price is injured and even then, I have a lot of confidence in da system two restrict le scoring chance

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Reading Lemaire's quotes, I get the feeling that He got rejected by Montreal, not the other way around.

« J’ai discuté avec le Canadien à un moment donné et j’étais enchanté de les rencontrer. Mais les choses n’ont pas tourné en ma faveur et c’est la raison pour laquelle je suis allé ailleurs », a-t-il confié en conférence téléphonique.

Not sure I'd want Lemaire as an advisor, to be honest. Not that he's bad, but he hasn't done much recently and he doesn't bring what we need.

If we can't move Therrien from HC, what we badly need is a younger AC with some tactical and strategical acumen.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

But of course he'll say that. In no way should he say that he actually chose the Leafs to the Habs. So....I'd like to have the other side of the story. But we won't.....Would love to see what he wasn't able to get from the Habs....I mean, what were we offering? Trainer? I mean, everybody would offer Lemaire a special assistant coach. Only thing that could be the problem is that it seems Lemaire will not be behind the bench and will not follow the Leafs away from home....maybe Habs wanted him to follow the team....But aside from that, or unless it's also a money issue....in the end....."pas tourné en ma faveur" still could mean that he turned down a great Habs offer...that still wasn't enough for him.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Leafs are doomed for failure, I can't prove it but why are they hiring so many people for a tank/rebuilding team that is 3-5 years from a playoff spot. It is a laughable situation in my opinion, why not just have a fresh new coach for the next 3 years and tank like crazy. They do it backwards, hiring Babcock was a mistake, players will play their guts out for him and kill the chance of a top draft pick. They always do it wrong and now there is an entourage of useless people. It is just dumb.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
What the Leafs actually need for the next 3-5 years is great drafting. And none of the moves they made helps in that regard.

Babcock would have been a great coach for them... in 3 or 4 years.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
The Leafs are doomed for failure, I can't prove it but why are they hiring so many people for a tank/rebuilding team that is 3-5 years from a playoff spot. It is a laughable situation in my opinion, why not just have a fresh new coach for the next 3 years and tank like crazy. They do it backwards, hiring Babcock was a mistake, players will play their guts out for him and kill the chance of a top draft pick. They always do it wrong and now there is an entourage of useless people. It is just dumb.

What the Leafs actually need for the next 3-5 years is great drafting. And none of the moves they made helps in that regard.
Babcock would have been a great coach for them... in 3 or 4 years.

I couldn't agree more with you two.

I don't get it either...they have a major chance to get a TOP 3 pick for the next 2-3-4 seasons, but then they go and really improve their coaching and management positions which could lessen their chances of getting a top 5-8 pick. I really don't get it.

Babcock should improve the team by at least 8-10-12pts (or more?) in the standings.

If I were a Leaf fan :)help::cry:)...I'd want my team to tank for a few years (enough to pick up enough star prospects to build a contender, ex: as many top 3-5 picks as possible, and then get a Babcock,etc,etc).

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Leafs moves are a little baffling so far. That being said I'm sure no one here knows their plan moving forward, assuming they have one. They've gone out of their way to hire older established hockey guys (Lemaire, Lou) to help mentor the younger guys like Dubas and Hunter. Problem is you can get the best tutors in the world to teach these guys but why bother? Why not just hire guys at their prime NOW who are known commodities like they did with Babcock? This mentoring strategy seems rather dubious to me and a gamble in that you don't know what the chemistry will be and whether these prospect execs will pan out. Just seems like a convoluted way to go to build your franchise and they haven't done anything yet to address the on ice talent either.

I just don't see this franchise getting any better with the moves they've done so far even with all the cash they're shovelling into the front office. Almost feels like more of a distraction move to show fans hey, we're doing something to make this team better even if it's not on the ice, it will trickle down. Bizarre.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
The Leafs moves are a little baffling so far. That being said I'm sure no one here knows their plan moving forward, assuming they have one. They've gone out of their way to hire older established hockey guys (Lemaire, Lou) to help mentor the younger guys like Dubas and Hunter. Problem is you can get the best tutors in the world to teach these guys but why bother? Why not just hire guys at their prime NOW who are known commodities like they did with Babcock? This mentoring strategy seems rather dubious to me and a gamble in that you don't know what the chemistry will be and whether these prospect execs will pan out. Just seems like a convoluted way to go to build your franchise and they haven't done anything yet to address the on ice talent either.

I just don't see this franchise getting any better with the moves they've done so far even with all the cash they're shovelling into the front office. Almost feels like more of a distraction move to show fans hey, we're doing something to make this team better even if it's not on the ice, it will trickle down. Bizarre.

They tried that already with Brian Burke.

Like another poster said, I hope all this great coaching and management keeps them out of the top 3 and in the 4-8 drafting spots.

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
But of course he'll say that. In no way should he say that he actually chose the Leafs to the Habs. So....I'd like to have the other side of the story. But we won't.....Would love to see what he wasn't able to get from the Habs....I mean, what were we offering? Trainer? I mean, everybody would offer Lemaire a special assistant coach. Only thing that could be the problem is that it seems Lemaire will not be behind the bench and will not follow the Leafs away from home....maybe Habs wanted him to follow the team....But aside from that, or unless it's also a money issue....in the end....."pas tourné en ma faveur" still could mean that he turned down a great Habs offer...that still wasn't enough for him.

You get a little bit of the other side of the story when you read between the lines.

" Lemaire... a été charmé par l’approche et les conditions proposées par les Leafs.
« Mike (Babcock, l’entraîneur) m’a appelé, j’étais content de recevoir son appel et réaliser son intérêt. »"

Does that mean he appreciated Babcock calling to tell him he'd love to work with him while Therrien didn't make that call?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They tried that already with Brian Burke.

Like another poster said, I hope all this great coaching and management keeps them out of the top 3 and in the 4-8 drafting spots.

And it was working with Burke. They atleast had an identity and we're making improvements. They fired him the year they made the playoffs and Nonis screwed the team up again like he does. The team was the best they were in a long time under Burke and just as they seemed to be making some headway, they changed directions and started from scratch again. This time with an entirely untested group of guys who have combined ZERO front office experience at the NHL level so they needed to hire some over the hill exec to teach them? Good luck with that.

Like you and the other guy said, I hope they're middling for the next 8 years and keep drafting only London Knight players the rest of the way ;)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
They should have just kept Horacek, traded Kessell(which they did) traded Phaneuf and went with the youth movement for the next 3 years and problem solved.

They are the laughing stock of the league but they have money and they are spending it. It will be funny to see the frowned expressions on Lou, Brendan and Mike and the interviews will be better I guess but man, the Leafs always get it wrong.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You get a little bit of the other side of the story when you read between the lines.

" Lemaire... a été charmé par l’approche et les conditions proposées par les Leafs.
« Mike (Babcock, l’entraîneur) m’a appelé, j’étais content de recevoir son appel et réaliser son intérêt. »"

Does that mean he appreciated Babcock calling to tell him he'd love to work with him while Therrien didn't make that call?

Everybody will prefer being called by Babcock than Therrien. Anyway, not tough to know that Habs couldn't do **** compared to what Leafs could offer. Anyway, Lemaire has been fired 3 times by Lamoriello, so he feels "safe" with him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad