The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Leafs are doomed for failure, I can't prove it but why are they hiring so many people for a tank/rebuilding team that is 3-5 years from a playoff spot. It is a laughable situation in my opinion, why not just have a fresh new coach for the next 3 years and tank like crazy. They do it backwards, hiring Babcock was a mistake, players will play their guts out for him and kill the chance of a top draft pick. They always do it wrong and now there is an entourage of useless people. It is just dumb.
It is one heck of a group of people they have put together, but I can't help think that having that many guys/egos in the group, and is gonna get cloudy real quick...

Tanking doesn't take this many minds...:popcorn:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It is one heck of a group of people they have put together, but I can't help think that having that many guys/egos in the group, and is gonna get cloudy real quick...

I have to agreed. "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians" as one would say.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the Lamorello/Lemaire hirings. These are guys that in the last decade have had very mediocre results in the new NHL.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have to agreed. "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians" as one would say.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the Lamorello/Lemaire hirings. These are guys that in the last decade have had very mediocre results in the new NHL.

It's the NHL old boys club all over again. Rinse repeat recycle, the NHL does it better than any other league. Just because Shanny was a great hockey player does not mean that he will bring the Leafs out of the quicksand that they have been in for what seems like forever.'

The only hire that makes sense to me is Hunter, the guy knows junior hockey and is a talented hockey mind and would have been my choice for GM with Dubas as his assistant, build through the draft for 3 years and then go after your Babcock type but not before.
In Toronto its a weird phenomenon, it's all about hype in till January hits and the media turns on the franchise and calls for the heads of everyone associated with the team.

Babcock will not lie down and lose games and players(mostly fringe nhl talent) will play for him in an attempt to keep an NHL job thus making it difficult for them to secure anything other than a 15-20th pick overall and defeating the purpose of a rebuild.

Bergevin has basically surrounded himself in the same way but the difference here is our level of "core" talent, we are on the verge but the leafs are in the toilet. I can't wait for mid season to hear the Toronto media and their cries for firings in the Leaf organization. The leafs are a complete joke.:laugh:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Bergevin has basically surrounded himself in the same way but the difference here is our level of "core" talent, we are on the verge but the leafs are in the toilet. I can't wait for mid season to hear the Toronto media and their cries for firings in the Leaf organization. The leafs are a complete joke.:laugh:

I agree with all you said there. I'd just add that Timmins is another huge factor. He's the major reason why we have a core and didn't really tank to get it. 2005 we were just a bad team before the lock-out and got to pick at #5 and 2012 was mostly an outlier. Habs never tanked as it's not really an option. And yet, we have a more than decent core and some prospects coming up the pipeline.

If the Leafs are not planning to tank, what they need is incredible drafting for the next 3-4 years. None of the hires adress that issue.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

Love your quote :laugh:
But apparently you do need that many minds in Tor to tank:laugh:
I can't find fault for Lou and Lamaire going there, biggest paid day of there whole career.
With Babcock there I can see them playing good hockey, maybe even make the playoffs. Some what the same that happened in Col after Roy was hired. Players being pumped for the season and playing over there heads and eventual falling back to earth the next season. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

true, but MB came into a different situation. When he arrived, the team had Gallagher (the final cut in camp the year prior with Martin), Plekanec, Markov, Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Beaulieu, Desharnais, Emelin and a top 3 pick (you can add Gorges and Gionta who were also very solid players when MB inherited the club). That's much different than what Shanahan & co have walked into. Yeah, Kessel is a top end talent (now traded), but after that, there isn't much of a solid core. Their D isn't great, especially with Phaneuf at the helm, and their goatending is above-average. They have some nice pieces in JVR, Kadri and Reilly, but nothing to carry a team forward.

If the leafs are in the toilet, it's because Shanahan & co inherited a toilet. Meanwhile, MB had mostly fat to trim in Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle (some might include Gorges, Diaz and Gionta here..I wouldn't) . He's done a very good job at surrounding the core with Kassian, Petry, Weise, Semin, DLR and Galchenyuk (though I'd hesitate to credit the GM for a draft pick), but he walked into a very very good core that didn't need that much adjusting.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If I was in charge of the Habs, Jacques Lemaire would have been the first guy I would have hired, not Scott Malenby and Martin Lapointe. Dude is a freakin brainiac.

In fact among the dream team for the Habs to assemble people talked about before Bergevin was hired, Lemaire was the sort of guy mentioned that would be a "must" hire.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If I was in charge of the Habs, Jacques Lemaire would have been the first guy I would have hired, not Scott Malenby and Martin Lapointe. Dude is a freakin brainiac.

In fact among the dream team for the Habs to assemble people talked about before Bergevin was hired, Lemaire was the sort of guy mentioned that would be a "must" hire.

Yeah,
He was the Jacques I wanted when we ended up with Martin.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah,
He was the Jacques I wanted when we ended up with Martin.

But here's the thing though, he is not just a great coach, Lemaire is a brilliant hockey guy in all aspects. And when he left the Habs front office to join the Devils after the 93 cup, Serge Savard was never the same as far as making level-head decisions. I wish Bergevin would have hired Lemaire right out of the bat as assistant GM. But he prefered hiring his buddies.

I actually think the Leafs hiring him just to help the coaching staff is a mistake.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Lemaire would have been a great hire... back when Gainey had the choice between him and Martin...

Lemaire actually thought he had the job when Gainey did a 360 and went with Martin.

What a ****ing dummy.

But after that, I thought Lemaire was 100% retired. I guess TO just threw a ton of money at him or he got bored in retirement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Lemaire would have been a great hire... back when Gainey had the choice between him and Martin...

Lemaire actually thought he had the job when Gainey did a 360 and went with Martin.

What a ****ing dummy.

But after that, I thought Lemaire was 100% retired. I guess TO just threw a ton of money at him or he got bored in retirement.

From what I understand, Lemaire asked for an insane amount of money for the time and Gainey said he'd get back to him. I guess he did by hiring Martin. Hardly a dummy move. We did quite well under Martin for awhile.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Well, technically, spending tens of millions on coaching staff and front office still isn't the right way.

Combine the cups on the Leafs management and coaching staff with the cups on Montreal's.

3 well respected hockey men who have actually won...and won a lot...uh, yea, I think that's the right way.

Furthermore, how Lemaire is not with this organization is beyond me....but Habs like to do things their way...been that way the last 20+ years.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
But here's the thing though, he is not just a great coach, Lemaire is a brilliant hockey guy in all aspects. And when he left the Habs front office to join the Devils after the 93 cup, Serge Savard was never the same as far as making level-head decisions. I wish Bergevin would have hired Lemaire right out of the bat as assistant GM. But he prefered hiring his buddies.

I actually think the Leafs hiring him just to help the coaching staff is a mistake.

Bergy is not going to hire a guy that could take his job...look at who MT hired....none of those guys are a threat to his job.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Combine the cups on the Leafs management and coaching staff with the cups on Montreal's.

3 well respected hockey men who have actually won...and won a lot...uh, yea, I think that's the right way.

Furthermore, how Lemaire is not with this organization is beyond me....but Habs like to do things their way...been that way the last 20+ years.

Do Lamorello or Lemaire still have it though? Nothing in the last 10 years suggests these guys are elite at their jobs anymore, at least in my opinion.

Hard to knock the hiring of Babcock, Dumas or Hunter.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lemaire and Lamoriello? What is this, the mid-90s clutch and grab era with unlimited icing changes? The Leafs can have fun with their old school dinosaurs.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Do Lamorello or Lemaire still have it though? Nothing in the last 10 years suggests these guys are elite at their jobs anymore, at least in my opinion.

Hard to knock the hiring of Babcock, Dumas or Hunter.

There are certain things that you never lose, though. I'd rather have someone who at least had something than someone who never had it in the first place.

It will be interesting to see how they all work together.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
true, but MB came into a different situation. When he arrived, the team had Gallagher (the final cut in camp the year prior with Martin), Plekanec, Markov, Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Beaulieu, Desharnais, Emelin and a top 3 pick (you can add Gorges and Gionta who were also very solid players when MB inherited the club). That's much different than what Shanahan & co have walked into. Yeah, Kessel is a top end talent (now traded), but after that, there isn't much of a solid core. Their D isn't great, especially with Phaneuf at the helm, and their goatending is above-average. They have some nice pieces in JVR, Kadri and Reilly, but nothing to carry a team forward.

If the leafs are in the toilet, it's because Shanahan & co inherited a toilet. Meanwhile, MB had mostly fat to trim in Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle (some might include Gorges, Diaz and Gionta here..I wouldn't) . He's done a very good job at surrounding the core with Kassian, Petry, Weise, Semin, DLR and Galchenyuk (though I'd hesitate to credit the GM for a draft pick), but he walked into a very very good core that didn't need that much adjusting.

I agree with you but if you inherit a toilet why do you all of a sudden try and turn it into a throne?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
From what I understand, Lemaire asked for an insane amount of money for the time and Gainey said he'd get back to him. I guess he did by hiring Martin. Hardly a dummy move. We did quite well under Martin for awhile.

Lemaire is infinitely superior to Martin.

And if Lemaire asked for an "insane" amount of money, what was it.. at most 0,5-1M more than Martin ? I doubt Gainey was that worried about it since he threw 5M at Gionta, 6M at Cammy and acquired Gomez at 7M the same summer.

Not like we were operating under a tight budget. I guess it's important to have an uber tight leash on costs that aren't controlled by the cap though ...

But worse than that..

We had Boucher waiting in the AHL. Lemaire was rumored to want to do 1-2 years at most. He would have been a perfect stopgap while Boucher got ready with the dogs. Instead we had Martin who we couldn't rightly fire after one year. Interestingly enough, Martin signed for 4 years 6M...

It was a moronic decision by Gainey.. in a long line of moronic decisions he made that same summer.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
:laugh: I know, right? A Google search of toilet+throne suggests it's a very "natural" tendency. :)

toiler-620x319.jpg

http://www.cnet.com/news/iron-throne-toilet-lets-you-rule-the-bathroom-realm/

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

I totally agree that Bergevin arrived in a very decent situation. Lots of good pieces already in place and good drafting. But we can't deny that he identified what the team needed most (leadership, player dev. and an actual management team) and he promptly made the necessary adjustements. The only real area of weakness in terms of management is the coaches, both in MTL and in the AHL.

What Shanahan did so far is a little strange. What that franchise needed is a complete teardown and only then, a rebuild. So far, it looks like he's trying to do a little bit of both at the same time. Only way it works is if they find 2-3 core players with later picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad