Blue Jays Discussion: The other trade deadline passeth. You know, the complicated one. (Mod warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is Panone better as a swingman going forward or strictly a reliever? His above average curve could make him deadly to lefties and his fastball should play up in short bursts.

I don't see any reason to write him off as a starter yet. He's got 3-ish pitches, decent command, and he can use his whole aresenal. I'm not expecting him to blossom into anything more than a #4/5 type, but that's still more valuable than making him a swingman or pure pen arm. Likely the only reason he's even in the pen right now is that Stroman is back tomorrow and they only have 5 spots for like 7 pitchers (Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Gaviglio, Borucki, Pannone, Reid-Foley)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
finally watching today's game (in 30) and wowza Russ actually assured us that one of Teoscar/Grichuk/McKinney will (not might) pull a Bautista next year.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Grichuk has found his swing and is becoming very valuable to the team. Fields extremely well and has a fast bat that’s only getting better. I see him clubbing 35 next year with plus defence and a great contract. Great job Atkins! And great trade for McKinney! Love this regime! Going to be a threat for years now that they’re going to be able to slowly escape from these brutal contracts AA collected by going for it all in just 1 year. I’d rather have a team challenging on a yearly basis and I know we finally have the guys who will help do that once Tulo and Martin are gone. Atkins knows it’s 3 years away and that’s no b.s. 3 years this team is going to be very good. Can’t wait but in the meantime will be exciting watching the kids grow and witness all the cheap, controllable assets Atkins has collected get better and better. Nothing but support here for these guys who actually understand baseball. Too bad AA couldn’t have brought some of his asslickers with him to the Braves so they didn’t post here anymore. But will be awesome to see this regime build a solid foundation (like the Indians) and watch the naysayers go silent.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So McKinney is good? I see a lot of people hyping him up in here.

Does he have a lot of power? Like as in could be a middle of the order bat for us?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Does he have a lot of power? Like as in could be a middle of the order bat for us?
Teoscar also started like a house on fire and now he can barely get playing time. Let's see where Billy is at after going around the league a couple of times

Reactions: phillipmike

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
finally watching today's game (in 30) and wowza Russ actually assured us that one of Teoscar/Grichuk/McKinney will (not might) pull a Bautista next year.

Maybe I missed a joke or something but ive seen you call Ross, Russ, a few times...…...

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Teoscar also started like a house on fire and now he can barely get playing time. Let's see where Billy is at after going around the league a couple of times

Teoscar's numbers were also at least somewhat in line with what he'd done in the minors. Let's give it a minute before we erect a statue.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
So Donaldson is going on the 10-day DL, so much for him playing in Toronto this week

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

He's had great minor league stats until this season. I don't understand how he couldn't hit in AAA this year and is now hitting .381 in the Show

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

To be fair, his playing time has mostly withered because his defence has been Moises Sierra levels of incompetence.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's had great minor league stats until this season. I don't understand how he couldn't hit in AAA this year and is now hitting .381 in the Show

The only difference between his minor league numbers this year and in previous years is a slight uptick in Ks and a sharp decline in BABIP. He's been basically the same player he's always been.

He's looked fantastic in the majors so far (approach-wise and raw talent), but it's been 51 plate appearances and he has a .433 BABIP. There's really nothing to understand beyond the fact that it's a small sample and he's on a hot streak.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think Teoscar can be Bautista level, when Bautista randomly broke out.

But Teoscar's time in the MLB is most likely going to be from the DH spot

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
"Indians manager Terry Francona announced Saturday that Donaldson will become the team’s everyday third baseman once fully healthy, forcing potential MVP candidate Jose Ramirez to shift to second base and Jason Kipnis to center field."

so stupid.

“I talked to Kip, and we knew this would affect Kip more than anybody. I don’t think he was jumping for joy, and I don’t think we expected him to. … I don’t think it’s fun to hear that, but Kip’s a pretty good competitor, so we’ll see how it goes.”

lol what??

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"Indians manager Terry Francona announced Saturday that Donaldson will become the team’s everyday third baseman once fully healthy, forcing potential MVP candidate Jose Ramirez to shift to second base and Jason Kipnis to center field."

so stupid.

“I talked to Kip, and we knew this would affect Kip more than anybody. I don’t think he was jumping for joy, and I don’t think we expected him to. … I don’t think it’s fun to hear that, but Kip’s a pretty good competitor, so we’ll see how it goes.”

lol what??

They realize Donaldson can’t really play third at a high level anymore, right?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
AAA

Teoscar (23-24): 634pa, 9.5b%/21.1k%, .324bip/.278avg, .221iso, 123wrc+
McKinney (22-23): 530pa, 7.2b%/22.8k%, .288bip/.257avg, .252iso, 127wrc+

AA

Teoscar (21-23): 933pa, 7.2b%/23.3k%, .311bip/.255avg, .145iso, 102wrc+
McKinney (20-23): 1096pa, 10.9b%/17.6k%, .305bip/.246avg, .125iso, 107wrc+

first time i've lined them up right against each other and it confirms what I thought - two extremely similar type batters.

I'll give McKinney extra credit for being a bit younger, though.

But to be honest, I don't see the Bautista comp - imo they already made the swing/approach adjustment that made Bautisa great. You can see it in the difference between those AA and AAA numbers.

They have a better chance at following the EE path, I guess, which would require a massive jump in BB%. I guess the issue there is that EE never struck out as much as these two do.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
AAA

Teoscar (23-24): 634pa, 9.5b%/21.1k%, .324bip/.278avg, .221iso, 123wrc+
McKinney (22-23): 530pa, 7.2b%/22.8k%, .288bip/.257avg, .252iso, 127wrc+

AA

Teoscar (21-23): 933pa, 7.2b%/23.3k%, .311bip/.255avg, .145iso, 102wrc+
McKinney (20-23): 1096pa, 10.9b%/17.6k%, .305bip/.246avg, .125iso, 107wrc+

first time i've lined them up right against each other and it confirms what I thought - two extremely similar type batters.

I'll give McKinney extra credit for being a bit younger, though.

But to be honest, I don't see the Bautista comp - imo they already made the swing/approach adjustment that made Bautisa great. You can see it in the difference between those AA and AAA numbers.

They have a better chance at following the EE path, I guess, which would require a massive jump in BB%. I guess the issue there is that EE never struck out as much as these two do.

It was a stupid comment by Atkins. Sure one of those three players could turn into a EE/Jose, but they could easily turn out to be a dud, except for Grichuk because he has maintained around a 2.0 WAR per year.

Would have been better to say we are accumulating depth, and with having more depth, it is more likely for someone(don't mention any names) to breakout and be a great player for us. Like an EE or Jose.

Now the casual fan will associate the three outfielders with Jose/EE.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think Grichuk is the one we should be paying most attention to if we're looking for breakouts next year. Since coming back from injury/horrendous start he's been playing at a 4+ WAR pace for the last three months with a wRC+ north of 130 and nothing flukey in his offensive profile.

I'm definitely not suggesting a Bautista/Edwin breakout, but Smoak level isn't out of the question (especially considering the key difference for Smoak was cutting down his Ks, and that's exactly what Grichuk has been doing). Grichuk will never have the OBP because he doesn't walk like Smoak, but he makes up for it with defensive/base running value.

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad