Blue Jays Discussion: The other trade deadline passeth. You know, the complicated one. (Mod warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Other thread is at 1,000 so time to roll it over.

This also means that the people who were ejected from the previous thread have served their time and are permitted into this new thread. With that in mind, it's once again important to remind everyone of the following:

Hijacking discussion into pitting the current (Shapiro/Atkins) management group vs the former one (Anthopoulos) is not going to be tolerated. If someone asks a question about management it can be discussed within the necessary scope if everyone remains civil. But just because, for example, a trade or a prospect is mentioned it doesn't need to dovetail into immediately using that thing to say that current or former management sucks, that one is better than the other, etc. I don't like having to quash an entire avenue of discussion, but the fact is that it's been proven over the last little while that we simply can't have these kinds of talks without them turning into meme-offs, snipe-fests, or outright flaming.

What also won't be tolerated is baiting people into the above types of discussions, or passive-aggressive 'dancing around the issue' type comments where people obliquely make reference to management without actually referring to it or make random comments that mirror the types of comment that occurred around those discussions (aka the "better trade him now for an over-the-hill, overpaid veteran" in reference to Anthopoulos or "who needs high end talent, we have depth and control!" type comments in reference to Shapiro/Atkins.

It's harsh, I know, but the fact that we actually had decent discussion for the last week or so once the management fighting was stopped is not a coincidence.

If you're someone who wasn't ejected from the previous thread, you'll likely get a light warning from a mod if you violate the above for the first time. Repeat offenders (either in this thread or carrying over from the previous thread) face being banned from this thread for either a period of time or the entirety of this thread's lifespan at the discretion of the moderators.

Please consider this the only warning of this nature that will be issued in this thread. I hope we can put the previous thread behind us and move forward and make sure these threads are inviting and enjoyable again.

thanks everyone

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hey look, the 2nd trade deadline is coming up. AKA the deadline that still doesn't prevent September trades because MLB likes to make things as complicated as possible.

and I know post deadline trades can be a thing in the NHL too, I just hate the complexity of the MLB's waiver trade deadline. It's pointless.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hey look, the 2nd trade deadline is coming up. AKA the deadline that still doesn't prevent September trades because MLB likes to make things as complicated as possible.

and I know post deadline trades can be a thing in the NHL too, I just hate the complexity of the MLB's waiver trade deadline. It's pointless.

MLB's bizzaro double trade deadline shenanigans > NBA's draconian nonsense salary cap structure

that's for sure.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There were people ejected from the previous thread? I missed it then.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Who would be the primary piece in the Happ deal? McKinney or Drury? Or is the value similar on each player?

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
I don't think anyone is interested in keeping two veteran 1B-DH types around for a rebuild-retool and if I had to keep one, obviously Smoak would be the better choice. However, I wonder if Morales has rebuilt enough value to garner a worthwhile return at this deadline,in the off season, or at the next deadline. I suspect most GMs would want Smoak above Morales as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is McKinney going to be one of those guys that (for whatever reason) hits better at the ML level than at the minors?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Is McKinney going to be one of those guys that (for whatever reason) hits better at the ML level than at the minors?

I mean, the guy had a 877 OPS in AAA last year. He's a fine prospect. Best case, he's a Josh Reddick type. Which would be great.

Likeliest scenario is a platoon\4th OF with some power.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean, the guy had a 877 OPS in AAA last year. He's a fine prospect. Best case, he's a Josh Reddick type. Which would be great.

Likeliest scenario is a platoon\4th OF with some power.

Yeah I saw that too. Problem is he's been shuffled between so many different minor league teams it's hard to get a good read on his numbers. I hope he's a good one too.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Morales has a 133 wRC+ against righties this year.

Madness. Nelson Cruz left yesterday's game with back spasms. The M's can have him for free.

Yeah I saw that too. Problem is he's been shuffled between so many different minor league teams it's hard to get a good read on his numbers. I hope he's a good one too.

I know it can be annoying. Here, the consolidation of the figures should help.

2015 (A+/AA): .379 wOBA, 135 wRC+, .154 ISO (.825 OPS) 2.7 warp
2016 (AA): .321 wOBA, 99 wRC+, .092 ISO (.680 OPS) 1.2 warp
2017 (AA/AAA): .360 wOBA, 124 wRC+, .206 ISO (.821 OPS) 4.4 warp
2018 (AA/AAA): .343 wOBA, 116 wRC+, .248 ISO (.777 OPS) 1.2 warp

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Thoughts on diaz's role on the team going forward/ what we think will be the norm for him in terms of production going forward?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Thoughts on diaz's role on the team going forward/ what we think will be the norm for him in terms of production going forward?

Should be the opening day SS next year. More likely to be a utility infielder with Gurriel Jr. being the opening day SS. ~100 wRC+ with some pop and no walks, with average defense. Nice piece and part of the bridge to the Bichette\Biggio\Smith wave.

Reactions: phillipmike

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Prior to yesterday's game, Bo was at exactly 533 PA's, which is a fun time to revisit this.

Bo: 533PA @ 20 @ AA: 3.2 warp, .280/.336/.445 slash, 41BB/89K, 54 XBH, 29SB (10 CS)
2018 AL MVP: 533PA @ 20 @ AA: 3.0 warp, .272/.325/.349 slash, 39BB/41K, 25 XBH, 38SB (16 CS)

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
39835077_10156748638817652_4969067154751094784_n.jpg

Was at the game yesterday. At least it cost me under $30 for these seats.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Would this fact induce a team, looking for lefty power off the bench, to ignore his negative defensive value and effective base clogging long enough to offer up a lottery ticket in return?

He likely won’t bring anything of real value, but this idea that he’s dead weight may be excusable right now. Excuse his first month and he’s a 126 wRC+. Remove May as well and it balloons to 139.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Should be the opening day SS next year. More likely to be a utility infielder with Gurriel Jr. being the opening day SS. ~100 wRC+ with some pop and no walks, with average defense. Nice piece and part of the bridge to the Bichette\Biggio\Smith wave.

At the very least you'd have to think his value has increased substantially since they acquired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->