OT: The Other Sports Thread VIII - NBA Finals: Raptors vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is a tough matchup for the raps, even if GS' injured guys don't come back. You just can't give them any open looks whatsoever.

But I thought with this club, the season would be a great success if the raps got out of the east. They have done that.

Reactions: DanM

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Definitely the advantage of a city having more than one major sports franchise.

I don't know how many Toronto residents were basketball fans before the Raptors came along, but it's nice to see that type of following. Gives you something to cheer for when one of your other franchises gets eliminated.

It makes me miss the grizzlies out here in Vancouver, knowing that a Canadian team, despite all the natural barriers, can succeed in the NBA.

I mean, Toronto will always be an easier sell, because of its bigger size and proximity to key markets, but I still feel another well run Canadian franchise can do well.

Reactions: DanM and Runner77

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I think Raptors have a shot. They have great team defense and a top player in the league. I still think Warriors in 6, but it won’t be a blowout like some are saying.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Raptors have made Toronto a basketball town. **** the leafs!

Toronto has been slowly becoming a basketball town for years, I have been a fan since the first tip off, and now you see basketball courts everywhere, high picks in the NBA, and the success of the NBA team in general. Really started to see it when the all-star game came.

You can even look over at the Jays, they were magical in 15-16, and you look at all the young players being drafted under Shapiro and Atkins, the baseball following is huge here, and I love seeing the NBA, MLB, and even MLS fanbases, kicking the Leafs asses (even though I love the Leafs) hopefully it keeps them thinking.

Would love to see MLB and the NBA in Quebec, would be pretty cool!

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I have nothing against Drake. His music isn't my cup of tea, but he's just a fan that the organization lets run amock.

I just don't want any team from Toronto to have any success. They're Leaf fans.

He isn’t just a fan though. His company, OVO, holds naming rights to the Raptors practice facility. OVO is also a sponsor on the Raptors practice jerseys. He is also on the Raptors payroll as global ambassador.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Couldnt agree more with every single word you said.
If they win and he STILL leaves? it STILL would of been worth it lmao.

But like you added to, I just honestly cant realistically see how you up and leave this now, you miss the playoffs? ok i can see it, first round exit? ok I can see it
But now that you know this team is the best in the East, I mean.....why do like Lebron and go jump in the JAWS of the West with so much uncertainty

I just cant see it lol

If he goes anywhere.... it's going to play with the Los Angeles Clippers....the coach Doc Rivers is a former player...is well liked by his players.... president of basketball operations is Jerry West... owner with deep pockets is ex CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballmer.
Last summer, Kawhi bought a new house in LA.
Now, if he stays in Toronto, it's because Raptor management was very respectful and concerned about his injured knee. They wanted to manage his minutes so he could perform at his best. Though he appears to be a quiet guy, I get the impression he likes his teammates, the fan base and the entire Toronto experience. The negative appears to be the cold damp Toronto winters.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I think Raptors have a shot. They have great team defense and a top player in the league. I still think Warriors in 6, but it won’t be a blowout like some are saying.

Nick Nurse needs to figure out a strategy how to contain the perimeter
shooting of Thompson and Curry.... not an easy task....I think Draymond Green will be contained inside by Gasol, Ibaka and Siakim. The Raptors need to score more in the paint.... they won't have to face the type of size in the paint of the Sixers or Bucks.
It's good to see Fred Van Fleet and Norm Powell coming alive during the Bucks series...they will be very important against the Warriors...
Kyle Lowry and Kawhi Leonard will need to at their very best for the Raptors to have a chance.... Danny Green will need to significantly improve his three point shooting.
Pascal Siakim will need to become a threat offensively like he was earlier in the playoffs....
If Kevin Durant comes back to play against the Raptors....it may be difficult...he will help to stretch out our defense....he can literally score from anywhere...Steph Curry is the best pure natural shooter basketball as ever seen.
Anyways, it should be a lot of fun...
remember, everything will start on defense...can the Raptors get critical stops when the Warriors go on a scoring run....

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Kawhi's uncle: Leonard has spoken highly of Toronto, focused on Warriors

Kawhi's uncle: Leonard has spoken highly of Toronto, focused on Warriors
Chris Walder
2h ago

His uncle, Dennis Robertson, recently told Yahoo Sports' Chris Haynes that Leonard's mindset at the time had little to do with him not wanting to play for Toronto - a city he's seemingly grown fond of.
"When you are initially traded somewhere you didn’t asked to be, you don’t want to accept it,” Robertson said. "But once you get through that period, the focus then turns to giving your all and performing at a high level.
"It never had anything to do with the city of Toronto. It wasn’t. Toronto is a beautiful city. Kawhi has often spoke highly of Toronto. It’s a beautiful place.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/kawhi-leonard-emotion-raptors-playoffs-1.5150547
"I ended up coming here with a great group of guys, a lot of talent. ... I just kind of bought into their system.— Raptors' star forward Kawhi Leonard on joining a new team

Reactions: Redux91

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Nick Nurse needs to figure out a strategy how to contain the perimeter
shooting of Thompson and Curry.... not an easy task....I think Draymond Green will be contained inside by Gasol, Ibaka and Siakim. The Raptors need to score more in the paint.... they won't have to face the type of size in the paint of the Sixers or Bucks.
It's good to see Fred Van Fleet and Norm Powell coming alive during the Bucks series...they will be very important against the Warriors...
Kyle Lowry and Kawhi Leonard will need to at their very best for the Raptors to have a chance.... Danny Green will need to significantly improve his three point shooting.
Pascal Siakim will need to become a threat offensively like he was earlier in the playoffs....
If Kevin Durant comes back to play against the Raptors....it may be difficult...he will help to stretch out our defense....he can literally score from anywhere...Steph Curry is the best pure natural shooter basketball as ever seen.
Anyways, it should be a lot of fun...
remember, everything will start on defense...can the Raptors get critical stops when the Warriors go on a scoring run....

Bingo.

Covering the perimeters is going to be a very tough task. If Durant comes back, it only complicates things further.

The warriors are a nightmare to defend, and the best thing the raps can hope for, besides their top guys being at their best, is the warriors inexplicably missing their shots.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
If he goes anywhere.... it's going to play with the Los Angeles Clippers....the coach Doc Rivers is a former player...is well liked by his players.... president of basketball operations is Jerry West... owner with deep pockets is ex CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballmer.
Last summer, Kawhi bought a new house in LA.
Now, if he stays in Toronto, it's because Raptor management was very respectful and concerned about his injured knee. They wanted to manage his minutes so he could perform at his best. Though he appears to be a quiet guy, I get the impression he likes his teammates, the fan base and the entire Toronto experience. The negative appears to be the cold damp Toronto winters.
This is not correct. The property is located in San Diego, which is about 2.5 hour drive from LA under normal conditions, and 4 hours with traffic.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Redux91

Sorry, I'm late to the party and am reading through this thread right now. You made lots of great points, but I just wanted to clarify on the financials.

Kawhi can sign for 5 years worth a total of 190M if he stays with Toronto. Since he didn't play for the Raptors on his rookie contract he doesn't qualify for the "time of service" bump on top of the 190M. Only the Spurs could've offered him that deal.

With any other team the most he's eligible for is 4 years and 141M.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of how it all works (way too complicated):

NBA Free Agency 2019: What Are Max & Supermax Contracts? | Heavy.com

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if he'd jump to 35% of the cap after his first two years on a potential 5 year contract with TOR. If he did, that would yield him another 10 or so M extra. One needs a damn accounting degree to calculate NBA contracts' breakdown.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Was checking out StubHub for Raptors Finals tickets and this offering seems like a good value to me. What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.06.50 AM.png

Seriously though, the cheapest ticket I could find on StubHub is priced at $750 USD. Ouch.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
@Redux91

Sorry, I'm late to the party and am reading through this thread right now. You made lots of great points, but I just wanted to clarify on the financials.

Kawhi can sign for 5 years worth a total of 190M if he stays with Toronto. Since he didn't play for the Raptors on his rookie contract he doesn't qualify for the "time of service" bump on top of the 190M. Only the Spurs could've offered him that deal.

With any other team the most he's eligible for is 4 years and 141M.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of how it all works (way too complicated):

NBA Free Agency 2019: What Are Max & Supermax Contracts? | Heavy.com

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if he'd jump to 35% of the cap after his first two years on a potential 5 year contract with TOR. If he did, that would yield him another 10 or so M extra. One needs a damn accounting degree to calculate NBA contracts' breakdown.

Right on, either way Toronto can offer him the most money was the point :D
But Thanks for some good info

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad