Not open for further replies.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
why tho

like we're not actual rivals we never had an NBA team

did Drake steal your lunch money when you were a kid

Drake doesn't play for the Raps, yet he is seen every where.

Good job Aubrey, great self marketing.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I have nothing against Drake. His music isn't my cup of tea, but he's just a fan that the organization lets run amock.

I just don't want any team from Toronto to have any success. They're Leaf fans.

Reactions: Runner77

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Somehow I don't think so

I get that every body cant figure out Kawhis intentions lol

And if they hadnt made it to the finals, id have to agree it still didnt look great

But if I look at Kawhi, and the type of person he is, ..I really really realllly dont think he can be bothered to switch teams AGAIN, meeting new GM this, meeting new coach that, gotta meet all these new players you dont even know if theyre good or not

Honestly, i think odds are he stays now, he wont find a better team in the West to join that has more talent than the Raps, and I just dont know how he feels about money, but ONLY the Raps can offer him the supermax so theres at least that too. (everyone else can only offer 5 years 170 mill)

I just really think he cant be bothered to go to the Clippers and start this process all over and not even SURE how good a team they are or will be, because thats all it is, its the Raptors, or the Clippers.
If the "Toronto media" is a reason he might want "out", well.. I can tell you it wont be much better in La LA land lol..
If is the weather, snow is snow but your a god damn millionaire, hes not going to be outside shoveling lol, I cant imagine spring basketball in a city like Toronto is all that bad either

If he was smart, You take the Toronto supermax, regardless of this finals outcome, the east belongs to Kawhi now.
He can go to LA EASILY in 5 years at age 32, after the Toronto supermax, get a fantastic free agent deal (again) and then ease his career into retirement by being back close to "home".

But if youre smart Kawhi, you dont leave this, you wont find a better team that compliments and treats you like a king lol

I just cant see him leaving anymore, not anymore

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I guess it would be cool if they beat GS, but I really don't care one way or the other.

I fully understand why the Warriors are "heavy favorites" and all.

But they are NOT as strong as they were the other 4 years.
And Toronto is 2-0 vs them this year, the only team that swept them during the regular season.

Dont sneeze on the raps riding this gigantic wave of momentum from slaying all the past and east demons. They also HAVE an NBA Finals MVP, The Lebron Slayer.
Who knows what 10 days off did to the Warriors momentum, ESPECIALLy now that they have to start on the road

which is another mind boggling thing lol, Toronto has home court advantage... it could turn out to be the difference...no joke...

The one time the "dynasty" didnt get to 60 wins, and now you have to take advantage of it

The last time I saw Kawhi playing vs Golden state, 2 years ago 2nd round, he was DOMINATING them, they were up 25.
Zaza pachulia took out him with a cheap 'land on leg" foul, Kawhi was out for the series, G-state even came back and won that game

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

And Toronto is 2-0 vs them this year, the only team that swept them during the regular season.

Dont sneeze on the raps riding this gigantic wave of momentum from slaying all the past and east demons. They also HAVE an NBA Finals MVP, The Lebron Slayer.
Who knows what 10 days off did to the Warriors momentum, ESPECIALLy now that they have to start on the road

which is another mind boggling thing lol, Toronto has home court advantage... it could turn out to be the difference...no joke...

The one time the "dynasty" didnt get to 60 wins, and now you have to take advantage of it

The last time I saw Kawhi playing vs Golden state, 2 years ago 2nd round, he was DOMINATING them, they were up 25.
Zaza pachulia took out him with a cheap 'land on leg" foul, Kawhi was out for the series, G-state even came back and won that game
The bucks were favorites too. I think people don't realize just how good this Toronto team is defensively. They are built for the playoffs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Raptors have made Toronto a basketball town. **** the leafs!

Definitely the advantage of a city having more than one major sports franchise.

I don't know how many Toronto residents were basketball fans before the Raptors came along, but it's nice to see that type of following. Gives you something to cheer for when one of your other franchises gets eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

All those stats are meaningless to me as I don't follow the NBA. But I will watch some of the final for the curiosity factor. Go Raptors in any case.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The bucks were favorites too. I think people don't realize just how good this Toronto team is defensively. They are built for the playoffs.

Lol dude, i thought PHILLY was the team to beat in the playoffs, and they dispatched them
Milwaukee was the best team in the LEAGUE this year, they were definitely going to be a huge problem and they got em
Orlando was THE hottest team in the NBA going into the playoffs, perfect starting point

And now.. even after all that.. not only is it not over lol, they have to face a Dynasty.

But i couldnt agree more on the "built for playoffs"
I can only chalk this up to americans looking down on canadians (even tho no canadians on the raptors team lmao) but it SEEMS the way all the american outlets talk and act, feel like this is torontos first time in the playoffs or something..
This is the peak of a 5 year playoff journey for MOST of the team, a lot of these guys have already had many playoff games in their careers

And the additions? guys like Ibaka, Gasol and Leonard? BEEN in the playoffs their entire lives even before ever getting to toronto... the way they talk about Gasol you would think this is his first playoffs ever at age 34... but he and memphis used to be THE team you had to get by in the 2nd round of the playoffs every year in the tough West
Ibaka has over 100 playoff games thank to OKC's runs

And Kawhi well... Im a huge Lebron fan, and when Lebron was coming off those back to back championships in Miami, age 28, prime of his LIFE, appearing in his 4th finals in a row..
Out of nowhere...this 22 year old kid the announcers wouldnt shut up about "watch out for this guy in a couple years" shuts down Lebron defensively, and outscores everyone in the finals? what?... Finals MVP at 22??

Kawhi is a bad baaaaaaad man, Been watching basketball over 20 years and he is easily one of the best players i have ever seen in my life, and i HAAATE the spurs to boot, but there are great "scorers", great "shooters" great "playmakers" , But Kawhi certainly has to be one of if not the best PLAYER out there.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
All those stats are meaningless to me as I don't follow the NBA. But I will watch some of the final for the curiosity factor. Go Raptors in any case.

Yeah they werent stats, it was information to help you and others in the thread. You can take it or leave it, i really dont care lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kawhi is a bad baaaaaaad man, Been watching basketball over 20 years and he is easily one of the best players i have ever seen in my life, and i HAAATE the spurs to boot, but there are great "scorers", great "shooters" great "playmakers" , But Kawhi certainly has to be one of if not the best PLAYER out there.

Would you say we have a sizeable NBA fanbase in Montreal or would that have to be cultivated for the NBA to come to the city?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

yup, hope he sticks around and resigns.

Other than "weather" he pretty much got everything he needs, he owns the city, leader of the team , Raptors give him lots of nights off,only had to play 60 games out of 82...Now IF he resigned i would bet Raptors continue giving him 20+ games a year off..and for MAX money too...sweet deal

He could sign a 5 year max deal in Toronto ,get paid...and if he wants out 2 years from now he got the money and he can pick his landing spot.

Anyways, from my eye Raptors have done all they can to keep him in TO ,if he does walk away it was still worth the ride,and who knows this Raptors showcase could draw other big names to town.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Would you say we have a sizeable NBA fanbase in Montreal or would that have to be cultivated for the NBA to come to the city?

The only way I can put it is this:
The fanbase is most likely too small, maybe growing, we'll see
BUT what ive noticed IS
You wont have a better sports conversation, than a basketball fan with another basketball fan, in montreal that is.
You can talk hockey, and halfway through the chat you hear the guy say and im not kidding "koivu doesnt do it for me...id rather see Brisebois as captain" ...well...it just demorilizes you knowing that half the people you talk to about hockey dont know a god damn thing theyre talking about lol, and its sad to navigate those conversations

But you run into a montreal basketball fan AS a montreal basketball fan?, best. sports. convo. ever.
I just cant get enough of it (and this thread lmao)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

If Montreal got a NBA team would they need to hire a french coach and french GM?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
yup, hope he sticks around and resigns.

Other than "weather" he pretty much got everything he needs, he owns the city, leader of the team , Raptors give him lots of nights off,only had to play 60 games out of 82...Now IF he resigned i would bet Raptors continue giving him 20+ games a year off..and for MAX money too...sweet deal

He could sign a 5 year max deal in Toronto ,get paid...and if he wants out 2 years from now he got the money and he can pick his landing spot.

Anyways, from my eye Raptors have done all they can to keep him in TO ,if he does walk away it was still worth the ride,and who knows this Raptors showcase could draw other big names to town.

Couldnt agree more with every single word you said.
If they win and he STILL leaves? it STILL would of been worth it lmao.

But like you added to, I just honestly cant realistically see how you up and leave this now, you miss the playoffs? ok i can see it, first round exit? ok I can see it
But now that you know this team is the best in the East, I mean.....why do like Lebron and go jump in the JAWS of the West with so much uncertainty

I just cant see it lol

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They certainly didn't do that when the Expos were around.

When you look around the NHL, the day is soon approaching the Habs will have no other options left but to hire the best candidate no matter what .(use translator like Blue Jays do with Gurerro Jr)

Claude or Therrien or J Martin ..will never be rehired in Montreal as coach,so there out of the pool

Alain Vigneault currently 58 year young...just signed a deal in Philly..chances he's a head coach again in Montreal are about zero

Patrick Roy 53 year young
Guy Boucher 47 yr young.....
our asst Dom D 46 years young

yeah the rest is somewhere down in the AHL/Jr fishing pool.

Time alone ,is going to force this issue, for coaches and GM's

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
They certainly didn't do that when the Expos were around.

Yeah good call

Its just a strange thing when it comes to the Canadiens because, If you asked montrealers over a hundred years ago who invented or championed or made hockey truly popular at ALL, was this Montreal city, and especially and obviously predominantly french.
So the mindset is ..lol.. That the french canadiens are the whole key to this NHL thing... and the powers that be, the predominantly french side of Quebec, absolutely will not stand for their "language" disappearing from what THEY believe, they invented!
I mean I do get it unfortunately

But yeah the Expos and any other franchise that will come from a USA based professional sport will not have to worry about this French thing no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad