The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The NCAA is the NFL's developmental league and it costs the NFL zero. What is the big incentive for the NFL to partner with any league?
Because they are cut off from that development and without the NCAA they can get their hands on players before their 20's.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So they arent even going to have a playoffs?

nope, there's two weeks of regular season and two rounds of playoffs remaining. 11 total games.

AND it's turning out to be a case of Dundon vs everyone else. All other league personnel are tweeting that nobody else wants the league to fold. It's looking like Dundon is a giant POS in all of this, but will probably make it on it financially while everyone else is left jobless and scrambling.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
No, he was kicked out of the CFL, which led to him signing in AAF.

He said and did everything right in the two weeks before the league folded though, so maybe he'll get an XFL gig which would be his last shot at pro football.
There were rumors he deliberately violated his terms of admission into the CFL in order to not miss the opportunity to play in this league.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The NCAA is the NFL's developmental league and it costs the NFL zero. What is the big incentive for the NFL to partner with any league?
Didn’t they try this with NFL Europe/WLAF? The fact is football is not successful in the Late Winter/Spring it’s overkill. The only fans you get are football fanatics that only care about football and hate baseball, basketball and hockey. If there is ever a minor development league for football it needs to be in the fall running simultaneously with the NFL. Maybe play on Thursday nights and dump the Thursday NFL game.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Didn’t they try this with NFL Europe/WLAF? The fact is football is not successful in the Late Winter/Spring it’s overkill. The only fans you get are football fanatics that only care about football and hate baseball, basketball and hockey. If there is ever a minor development league for football it needs to be in the fall running simultaneously with the NFL. Maybe play on Thursday nights and dump the Thursday NFL game.

IDK, I felt like it was a good time for the league to run, minor league football in the fall would be buried behind NFL and NCAA games, even high school football in most places.

One thing i'm starting to think though is that they are going about it all wrong. The league was hinging it's hopes on national exposure really, fans in the 8 markets reported minimal advertising locally. What minor league is successful on a national scale? They should have been pounding the streets locally, building fan support in the cities, getting the stadiums filled, build fan interest first, get local broadcasting and build up to a weekly national game.

Reports on AAF was that at least initially they were not being paid for broadcast rights, instead their deals were set up like infomercials, the league was paying the networks for broadcast time. Meanwhile they were charging too much for tickets and not advertising to fans.

The $80K annual salary is also quite a bit compared to other minor leagues, probably could have paid these guys $30-35k and a similar product.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Like my friend in San Diego said, "I sold my Fleet tickets for $20 so I made 20 more than Dundon did"

For now... Dundon put $70M into it during his 6-7 weeks or whatever. If he gets the fantasy app right, he'll make way more than that in the long run.

Which is another reason that this was strange timing, at least from a user standpoint, the app wasn't perfect. It was quite delayed from the TV broadcast and slowed down throughout the game. That's with at most 450k people watching one single game at any time on TV and probably much less using the app during the game. Imagine this in it's current state being used when there are millions of users on the app interacting with 12+ NFL games happening simultaneously.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Also, players today were tweeting that the league cut off everything QUICK and with no warning, to the tune that players were stranded in team hotels and then kicked out because the rooms weren't paid for. Not even one night to get their stuff together and arrange transportation home.

Honestly, if I were a Canes fan, i'm very distrusting of Dundon going forward. Of course on their board they're all defending him, which is literally the only place online that i've seen anyone defending him... I wonder how i'd see things if it was a Preds owner who did this.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Also, players today were tweeting that the league cut off everything QUICK and with no warning, to the tune that players were stranded in team hotels and then kicked out because the rooms weren't paid for. Not even one night to get their stuff together and arrange transportation home.

Honestly, if I were a Canes fan, i'm very distrusting of Dundon going forward. Of course on their board they're all defending him, which is literally the only place online that i've seen anyone defending him... I wonder how i'd see things if it was a Preds owner who did this.
I can tell you how I'd feel, not pleased. There is a reason I've never really been able to root for the Titans. Bud Adams wasn't a whole lot better.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Yes, NFL Europe was supposed to be a supplemental/developmental league for the NFL.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Because they are cut off from that development and without the NCAA they can get their hands on players before their 20's.

It's an NFL rule that you have to be 3 years out of HS before you can play, not an NCAA one. So unless they changed that rule, they wouldn't be "getting their hands on players" earlier.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's an NFL rule that you have to be 3 years out of HS before you can play, not an NCAA one. So unless they changed that rule, they wouldn't be "getting their hands on players" earlier.
They made that rule because of the NCAA and it's already been shot down in court once before. I wouldn't leave the development of my players to coaches I don't know and ever changing programs if I had the choice.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Basically for it to ever grow and make money it needs star players or it needs backing from the NFL. It had nor got either and with no signs of it happening I can't blame him for not wanting to throw good money away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad