OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Does Tom Brady going to another Super Bowl piss anyone else off?? (I'm guessing all the ads fans here for sure)

Not nearly as much as I want all of those on field officials to be fired. Clete Blakeman should be done as a NFL official. There were about 5 helmet-to-helmet hits in that game by TB and only the one against Adams was called, so the Packers got 2 yards on the half the distance penalty. That was the NFL not following the NFL rules and was the reason that Packers MLB Krys Barnes was pulled out of the game. Suh and some other Bucs played DIRTY and were allowed to get away with it. The Commissioner was watching that BUSH LEAGUE GARBAGE as was the nation. The non-call on the INT at the end of the first half cost Green Bay 7 points, plus any points that they might have scored at that time, in a game that ended 31-26, a 5 point margin. Then the game ended with the late BS holding call that had not been called the entire game. I want to know who that lousy Back Judge was. He was terrible the entire game!

I hope that Mahomes and the Chiefs score 50 points in the SB and hang another L on Tom Brady and company in the SB. Then I will feel that justice was served. It certainly wasn't yesterday.

In the KC - Bills game the officials threw flags on illegal hits and dirty play. I saw 4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called at one time. I wish that those officials had been at Green Bay instead!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm a Pats fan, not really. 2020 sucked a ton of emotion out of me so I'm kinda meh, It's a down business cycle for the Red Sox and Pats. They were due.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You know the problem with sports halls of fame are? They are voted on by jackoffs who hold the biggest grudges on people who should BE in the hall of fames. And the fans get zero say.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You know the problem with sports halls of fame are? They are voted on by jackoffs who hold the biggest grudges on people who should BE in the hall of fames. And the fans get zero say.

I have always wished that some people could be removed from sports HOFs.

Even in the Rock & Roll HOF, I have wondered how the Red Hot Chili Peppers got in 2 years before Linda Ronstadt, who I first saw in 1967 with Stone Pony. I am not saying that they don't belong, I am saying that it was an injustice that she was not in way before 2014.

The Doobie Brothers did not get in until 2020. They sold about 50 million albums.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I have always wished that some people could be removed from sports HOFs.

Even in the Rock & Roll HOF, I have wondered how the Red Hot Chili Peppers got in 2 years before Linda Ronstadt, who I first saw in 1967 with Stone Pony. I am not saying that they don't belong, I am saying that it was an injustice that she was not in way before 2014.

The Doobie Brothers did not get in until 2020. They sold about 50 million albums.

I'm referring to baseball, they have a MORALS clause which baseball writers use as an excuse to not vote for someone who does not follow THEIR politic. Or 'They were mean to me, WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Morals are fluid. Bobby Hull is in the HOF even though he's a wife beating piece of shit.

Babe Ruth was a womanizing sloth who slept with women while married.

Don't EVEN get me started on Ty Cobb, 'Mountain' Landis, and owners who kept the color barrier.

HOFs are monuments to media pettiness and their failures to tell a story

Corey Perry is a POS on the ice but if he has the qualifications to make the HOF, you vote for him because he helps tell the story of hockey.

Either vote them ALL in or start taking them out.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm referring to baseball, they have a MORALS clause which baseball writers use as an excuse to not vote for someone who does not follow THEIR politic. Or 'They were mean to me, WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Morals are fluid. Bobby Hull is in the HOF even though he's a wife beating piece of shit.

Babe Ruth was a womanizing sloth who slept with women while married.

Don't EVEN get me started on Ty Cobb, 'Mountain' Landis, and owners who kept the color barrier.

HOFs are monuments to media pettiness and their failures to tell a story

Corey Perry is a POS on the ice but if he has the qualifications to make the HOF, you vote for him because he helps tell the story of hockey.

Either vote them ALL in or start taking them out.

Pete Rose won't get in while alive, if ever. He knew the penalty for betting on baseball.

Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire probably don't get in due to steroids or whatever they took.

I would like to see Bud Selig get tossed out for allowing that to continue for years under his watch. I am not holding my breath for that to happen. He brought back baseball to Milwaukee but managed to damage MLB as a whole. That isn't HOF in my book.

OJ Simpson killed two people. He was a gang warlord in SF while growing up. The latter isn't generally known. Not a paragon of virtue in his private life, being a wife beater. He seemed like a hoodlum that was saved by athletics at USC. Either he hid it well or he reverted later in life. Robbing people in a LV hotel was not a smart thing to do. He was rich enough to hire lawyers to sue and try to get some of his stuff back or he could have written a check instead of pulling a gun.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Pete Rose won't get in while alive, if ever. He knew the penalty for betting on baseball.

Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire probably don't get in due to steroids or whatever they took.

I would like to see Bud Selig get tossed out for allowing that to continue for years under his watch. I am not holding my breath for that to happen. He brought back baseball to Milwaukee but managed to damage MLB as a whole. That isn't HOF in my book.

OJ Simpson killed two people. He was a gang warlord in SF while growing up. The latter isn't generally known. Not a paragon of virtue in his private life, being a wife beater. He seemed like a hoodlum that was saved by athletics at USC. Either he hid it well or he reverted later in life. Robbing people in a LV hotel was not a smart thing to do. He was rich enough to hire lawyers to sue and try to get some of his stuff back or he could have written a check instead of pulling a gun.

annnd the HOF writers who turned their back on roids during the home run chase.

EDIT: ANNNNNNNNNNNNDDD This is why baseball is a regional sport.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The Vegas thing with OJ was so weird that it almost makes you think he, consciously or unconsciously, knew he deserved to go to prison, and so he did something stupid that got him sent to prison.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well Tennessee hires UCF's coach. Rumor is he was #6 on the list. He has a good background offensively but he took over a team that was undefeated under Scott Frost and their record has gotten progressively worse going 6-4 this past season.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well Tennessee hires UCF's coach. Rumor is he was #6 on the list. He has a good background offensively but he took over a team that was undefeated under Scott Frost and their record has gotten progressively worse going 6-4 this past season.
In fairness that team is going to cycle. They have to develop talent more than just acquire it. I'm not a UCF fan but I do think he's a good coach, offensively anyway.

Jul 12, 2007
At least they cleaned house including wonderful old Fulmer. Good old feller, but he did manage to kill FB altogether, as well as W BB and a very promising M BB that WAS on the upswing. Now it’s dead like everything else.
Vandy baseball is just a phenomenon. Decent bet to win it all every year, just filling the MLB draft every year.
Them and Alabama FB ..... no other program is even close.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
Does Tom Brady going to another Super Bowl piss anyone else off?? (I'm guessing all the ads fans here for sure)
I wanted Bills and Packers, but there’s little question that the 2 best teams are in the SB.
TB and KC offenses are absolutely stacked with playmakers, and both D’s are very good.
Bills and Pack didn’t have the playmakers behind Allen and Rodgers. Davante and Diggs, but not enough otherwise.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Vanderbilt baseball has made Middle Tennessee baseball better. A lot of his players have become trainers or coaches. Nick has had 2, Ryan Mullins and Taylor Hill. Nick also benifits from another Vanderbilt Pitcher, David Price. Price has really donated a lot of resources to Blackman baseball, the field is named after him and he's a big part of the reason they have one of the best public school baseball facilities around.

Reactions: PredsV82

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
At least they cleaned house including wonderful old Fulmer. Good old feller, but he did manage to kill FB altogether, as well as W BB and a very promising M BB that WAS on the upswing. Now it’s dead like everything else.
Vandy baseball is just a phenomenon. Decent bet to win it all every year, just filling the MLB draft every year.
Them and Alabama FB ..... no other program is even close.
Vanderbilt baseball would have countless championships if baseball was as dependent on talent as football was.

Reactions: triggrman
Jul 12, 2007
Vanderbilt baseball would have countless championships if baseball was as dependent on talent as football was.
Not sure I understand. I think baseball is the most talent-based, with FB & BKB more athleticism.
I don’t think those 2 sports have any talents equivalent to throwing a baseball 90-100 mph, moving all over the place, painting the corners of the plate. OR ..... being able to hit such pitching, well. OR sprinting 150 feet to pluck a ball that was hit 400 feet, which had gone over a 9 foot fence, until the guy snatched it back. That’s otherworldly physical talent.

MAYBE chucking a football 50-70 yards perfectly leading a receiver. Can’t think of anything else in either sport. Basketball is nearly all running and battling under the hoop, some consistency in shooting the ball. Ballhandling has been cheapened a bit, what with 3-4 steps and turning the ball over being sort of OK these days.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not sure I understand. I think baseball is the most talent-based, with FB & BKB more athleticism.
I don’t think those 2 sports have any talents equivalent to throwing a baseball 90-100 mph, moving all over the place, painting the corners of the plate. OR ..... being able to hit such pitching, well. OR sprinting 150 feet to pluck a ball that was hit 400 feet, which had gone over a 9 foot fence, until the guy snatched it back. That’s otherworldly physical talent.

MAYBE chucking a football 50-70 yards perfectly leading a receiver. Can’t think of anything else in either sport. Basketball is nearly all running and battling under the hoop, some consistency in shooting the ball. Ballhandling has been cheapened a bit, what with 3-4 steps and turning the ball over being sort of OK these days.
I agree with this, and not just because I'm a baseball guy. I think we might be taking Gnash wrong, pretty sure he's a big baseball guy. I never knew how competitive baseball was now until about 8 years ago. Now I've been to fields in towns and colleges I didn't even know existed.

Jul 12, 2007
It’s just such fine skills that don’t exist in other sports. Maybe a little in shooting / puck handling in hockey.
Not better / worse, just so unique in baseball.
Though baseball guys basically could not be FB position guys. Those guys are all such huge balls of pure muscle anymore, who have collisions that resemble car accidents, 20-30 times per game.
I think they’ve gotten rid of such collisions in basketball and hockey these days. Used to have them.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

I don’t think the point was that baseball doesn’t require talent and athletic ability. Baseball outcomes are far more random than football or basketball, on a single game basis. The nature of CWS (short series) makes it far less likely that the truly more talented team will end up as the champion.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

You seem to misunderstand what I meant.
Baseball requires more than just great athletes it requires skill and endurance. Football has 300 lb guys who’s only skill is being big and strong. Guys that big would not last 9 innings. In football the team with the best athletes win 90-100% of the time, Austin Peay is not going to beat Alabama in football and the score would be whatever the Tide wanted it to be. But in baseball Austin Peay can get a pitcher that mows down Vanderbilt’s line up and few string of hits and beat them in an playoff format. It’s a much much more difficult game to predict especially in college.
Vanderbilt has been the top team talent wise for over a decade but has only been to 4 CWS. Corbin can not just rely on having the best players every game.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I agree with this, and not just because I'm a baseball guy. I think we might be taking Gnash wrong, pretty sure he's a big baseball guy. I never knew how competitive baseball was now until about 8 years ago. Now I've been to fields in towns and colleges I didn't even know existed.
I have been flipping between MLB network (which is airing Ken Burns documentary) and the Predators game tonight. So yeah I have a little love for the game.

Jul 12, 2007
Corbin’s got 2 trophies and one runner-up in 6 years. That’s pretty good coaching along with talent.
There’s a mixed message in the last few posts - one says talent is less important in baseball, then one says that a great pitcher can get a lesser team past a better one. Now maybe that’s the talent of one, vs full team talent, but it’s still talent winning out.
Same happens in college football, mostly with RB’s or QB’s who are on their way to the NFL.
Deshaun, Burrow, Lawrence, Mac Jones, Derrick Henry, anyone ?
Take them off their big teams .... probably not champs.

Last edited:
Reactions: triggrman

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Corbin’s got 2 trophies and one runner-up in 6 years. That’s pretty good coaching along with talent.
There’s a mixed message in the last few posts - one says talent is less important in baseball, then one says that a great pitcher can get a lesser team past a better one. Now maybe that’s the talent of one, vs full team talent, but it’s still talent winning out.
Same happens in college football, mostly with RB’s or QB’s who are on their way to the NFL.
Deshaun, Burrow, Lawrence, Mac Jones, Derrick Henry, anyone ?
Take them off their big teams .... probably not champs.
You still are not understanding.
The difference in football and baseball is the team with the most talent almost always wins. One position can make a difference in Baseball. A pitcher can shut down a great team. Trevor Lawerence at QB of Austin Peay is not going to beat Alabama, but Austin Peay was Competitive with a top ranked Vanderbilt team in a playoff game. Baseball requires more that just talent to be successful. Vanderbilt baseball has more talent than most teams but unlike Alabama football they have a tougher time winning because baseball is not a “Jimmy and Joes” sport. That why the same 4 or 5 teams are almost always in the football playoffs because they have the most talent whereas baseball is more random.

Jul 12, 2007
Lol, I “understand” quite well.

It just burns a hole in your soul that I won’t pet your head and say you’re right, eh ?

Yes, one guy won’t make Austin Peay football champs, because they are not even on the same planet as the chronic final 4. Yet Clemson does not get their amazing run without Deshawn then Lawrence. LSU doesn’t get close without Fournette and Burrow. Ohio State and Alabama do have a habit of getting there with a bunch of NFL ready linemen and defense guys. But look at how even the fabled Alabama floundered a bit before Mac Jones did his Joe Burrow imitation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad