OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Continuing the Derrick Henry discussion from the other thread, David Montgomery's last 3 games were 11/113/1, 17/72/2, 11/103. The teams he faced were Green Bay, Detroit & Houston.

Get The King in your fantasy lineups.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Not sure what thread to put this in but the Ice Bears are rocking some so bad they're good Predators themed jerseys on January 16th.
EpfFGc2XIAMFDEH

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Continuing the Derrick Henry discussion from the other thread, David Montgomery's last 3 games were 11/113/1, 17/72/2, 11/103. The teams he faced were Green Bay, Detroit & Houston.

Get The King in your fantasy lineups.

Henry may run for 250 yards against the Packers.

Their run defense is poor. Their pass defense is very good. The secondary is finally catching the ball. Green Bay could have double the number of interceptions that they have season, which is 8. They have been intercepted 4 times.

The Packers have been competitive in every game this year except the one against Tampa Bay. The Packers scored the first 10 points of the game in the first quarter and never scored again. The offense had a hard time getting a first down after Q1. Tampa Bay ran 35 times for 158 yards. The Packers defense was worn down in Q2.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Just this year. I wouldn’t mind it full time though

After reading a bit I think ND still makes it as the 4 seed. They still have a win over Clemson, and they played a full schedule. Ohio St getting in having only played 6 games and only 2 games against teams with winning records is a joke(sorry Viqsi).

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
After reading a bit I think ND still makes it as the 4 seed. They still have a win over Clemson, and they played a full schedule. Ohio St getting in having only played 6 games and only 2 games against teams with winning records is a joke(sorry Viqsi).
Wouldn’t matter if ND got in nor does it if Ohio State got in. Clemson or Alabama are the only teams that can win it

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Wouldn’t matter if ND got in nor does it if Ohio State got in. Clemson or Alabama are the only teams that can win it

And if this keeps on for a few more years I suspect people will stop giving a crap. If the final is Clemson v Bama 8 out of 10 season who is ever gonna give a crap outside of their fanbases?

Can you imagine if March Madness always ended up with Duke vs Kentucky?

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
And if this keeps on for a few more years I suspect people will stop giving a crap. If the finalmis Clemson v Bama 8 out of 10 season who is ever gonna give a crap outside of their fanbases?

Can you imagine if March Madness always ended up with Duke vs Kentucky?

I’m already basically there. Haven’t cared about college football in a very long time. The power somehow consolidated across a handful of programs over the past decade and that’s not something I’m really interested in watching.

The great thing about the March Madness deal is that in basketball it’s so much more possible for a team to beat a superior team on a given night. You’ve got to field too many players in football and good coaches with superior talent will find that weak link eventually and exploit it. It’s not impossible for an MTSU to beat a current day Bama in football* but I think we all know the likelihood of that is much much lower than when MTSU beat Michigan State in the tourney a few years back.

*It might be impossible. :)

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The playoff system is what happened to consolidate power. Before the playoffs, you could kick Alabama or Clemson out of the title game every so often because they would have a loss. But since you have to fall all the way out of the top 4 to be excluded, even one loss Alabama or Clemson get in and then frequently win. Yes, it probably does mean that the best team is the national champion... but what fun is that? What makes March Madness so special is the upsets, not the ultimate winner.

If the playoff format is going to continue they need to expand to 8 teams... would bring some much needed variety including a non power 5 team or two and provide more chance for an upset

Reactions: Viqsi and LCPreds

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m already basically there. Haven’t cared about college football in a very long time. The power somehow consolidated across a handful of programs over the past decade and that’s not something I’m really interested in watching.

The great thing about the March Madness deal is that in basketball it’s so much more possible for a team to beat a superior team on a given night. You’ve got to field too many players in football and good coaches with superior talent will find that weak link eventually and exploit it. It’s not impossible for an MTSU to beat a current day Bama in football* but I think we all know the likelihood of that is much much lower than when MTSU beat Michigan State in the tourney a few years back.

*It might be impossible. :)

The other problem being that college football as it stands now has the playoff committee who would never give MTSU a chance to beat Bama in the playoffs as it stands now. We’ve got two very good undefeated teams in Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina that are going to almost certainly get passed over for Notre Dame or A&M who already got blown out by Clemson and Bama. I wouldn’t bet on Coastal or Cinci to beat Clemson or Bama but crazier upsets have happened.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The other problem being that college football as it stands now has the playoff committee who would never give MTSU a chance to beat Bama in the playoffs as it stands now. We’ve got two very good undefeated teams in Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina that are going to almost certainly get passed over for Notre Dame or A&M who already got blown out by Clemson and Bama. I wouldn’t bet on Coastal or Cinci to beat Clemson or Bama but crazier upsets have happened.

And in an 8 team format one of those teams would get an invite and the buzz from their appearance (even if they lose badly) would benefit the sport as a whole

Reactions: Viqsi

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
In fairness, Notre Dame has already beat Clemson once. Tough to beat a team like that much less to have to do it twice. Neither Cincinnati nor Coastal have played any team remotely close to that level. Do you believe ND should have had to beat Clemson twice to get in, if so shouldn’t they have to face a team of that level once? Same with Ohio State

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
In fairness, Notre Dame has already beat Clemson once. Tough to beat a team like that much less to have to do it twice. Neither Cincinnati nor Coastal have played any team remotely close to that level. Do you believe ND should have had to beat Clemson twice to get in, if so shouldn’t they have to face a team of that level once? Same with Ohio State

Notre Dame is tough since they beat a Clemson team missing their best player on both sides of the ball. If Notre Dame had kept it close yesterday I think they’d have a better argument. I’d be fine with Ohio State out and Notre Dame in though.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Notre Dame is tough since they beat a Clemson team missing their best player on both sides of the ball. If Notre Dame had kept it close yesterday I think they’d have a better argument. I’d be fine with Ohio State out and Notre Dame in though.
Nitre
Notre Dame was missing 2 of their top linemen yesterday and it showed.

not that it matters. They can’t beat Clemson or Bama. They can beat any other team though. I’d love a ND Ohio state matchup in a bowl game.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
It’s going to be Bama, Clemson, Ohio State & Notre Dame. The only question is if they put ND at 3 to get the “tiebreaker” game with Clemson.

Bama will blow the doors off whoever they play and is going to win the whole thing. This may be the best team Bama has ever had.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Official
1 Ala vs 4 ND
2 Clem vs 3 Ohio St

8 teams would have been perfect...

1 Ala vs 8 Cincinnati
2 Clem vs 7 Pac 12 champ
3 Ohio St vs 6 Oklahoma
4 ND vs 5 Texas A&M
I'd have Cincy at #6, honestly. I want that contest of Ohio teams, because I have confidence in my Buckeyes - and at the same time, Cincy is getting seriously f***ing screwed by the selection process. It's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->