OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think he’ll play again. Will he be really competitive? I doubt it, but I don’t think his injuries are severe enough to keep him from making money.

He wont be in good enough shape to compete for majors and he has far too much money to just play hoping to make some cuts and cash some checks. It will likely be very painful just to walk 18 holes much less play at the level hes accustomed to. He may try to play again but I'll be shocked if he is ever competitive on the PGA tour again.

I could see him waiting until he turns 50 and playing in the senior tour where they are allowed to use carts.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
He wont be in good enough shape to compete for majors and he has far too much money to just play hoping to make some cuts and cash some checks. It will likely be very painful just to walk 18 holes much less play at the level hes accustomed to. He may try to play again but I'll be shocked if he is ever competitive on the PGA tour again.

I could see him waiting until he turns 50 and playing in the senior tour where they are allowed to use carts.
I think he’ll play, but not for the tour money. His real cash comes from endorsements and that money really drops off if he’s not playing professionally.

Jul 12, 2007
Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are kind of the gold standard. Most of the guys mentioned so far did achieve greatness, but fell.
These two clowns achieved stunning levels of nothing, after having been given the keys to everything.
Vince Young and Todd Marinovich perhaps.
Manziel, but he was a long shot to be a NFL QB.
John Daly ... Woods actually said one time “I wish I had his talent”. Somewhat joking I’m sure, but I think he was still saying that the guy had generational talent. Funny thing is, Daly seemed to get a laugh out of it all, not an ounce of remorse lol.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The original question was athletes that achieved greatness and also great failures. So most of the guys being names now don't count.

I like the Mike Tyson comparison since both of them were easily considered the best of their time in their respective sports.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The original question was athletes that achieved greatness and also great failures. So most of the guys being names now don't count.

I like the Mike Tyson comparison since both of them were easily considered the best of their time in their respective sports.

Maradona would fit this too

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

Well the most obvious answer then is OJ. ‘Nuff said.

Seriously. Heisman, MVP, Pro Football HOF, then charged with double murder, then convicted of trying to steal your stuff from a mob guy in LV? High to low OJ takes the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan and PredsV82

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It appears that it was a sponsors SUV that Tiger was driving which could mean he wasn’t used to the steering or power. I would not classify this as a self destructive incident and more of a horrible accident.

If you ever get the chance watch the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Discovery ID that guy was a serial killer with NFL talent. He actually killed 2 people just because one of them bumped into him in a crowded bar and didn’t apologize properly or acknowledge who he was.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think he’ll play, but not for the tour money. His real cash comes from endorsements and that money really drops off if he’s not playing professionally.

I'll disagree again. Hes a big enough name that his endorsements will continue. Plus hes wealthy enough that he doesn't need the money. I dont think you understand how bad his injuries are for someone whose occupation involves a 4 to 5 mile walk every day.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

Seriously. Heisman, MVP, Pro Football HOF, then charged with double murder, then convicted of trying to steal your stuff from a mob guy in LV? High to low OJ takes the cake.

Yeah OJ came to my mind too, I just wasn't sure if he counted since that stuff happened after his playing career. Don't forget that on
top of his athletic achievements he also had a successful acting career. He really flushed it all away with his life choices.

Whereas Tyson imploded and ruined his boxing career, he has managed to rehab his public image and I imagine Tiger Woods will continue to be popular even if he never golfs again.

I think Jordan was close to losing it with some of the behavior off the court, but managed to pretty much keep it under wraps.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'll disagree again. Hes a big enough name that his endorsements will continue. Plus hes wealthy enough that he doesn't need the money. I dont think you understand how bad his injuries are for someone whose occupation involves a 4 to 5 mile walk every day.
He is one of those rare athletes that is popular and recognized outside of his sport

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

I'll be surprised if he plays competitive golf again.

Jul 12, 2007
O
It appears that it was a sponsors SUV that Tiger was driving which could mean he wasn’t used to the steering or power. I would not classify this as a self destructive incident and more of a horrible accident.

If you ever get the chance watch the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Discovery ID that guy was a serial killer with NFL talent. He actually killed 2 people just because one of them bumped into him in a crowded bar and didn’t apologize properly or acknowledge who he was.
I read somewhere that he killed one of them because they were gonna announce that Hernandez was gay. May have been in the documentary.
Which makes no sense these days. He would have just become a massively huger hero / celeb.

Jul 12, 2007

OJ may have been a psychopath since birth, but he was always so worshipped and catered to, it never surfaced until his first experience with not getting his way.

Jul 12, 2007

I’ve always loved Tyson. Dude’s so naturally funny and really quite smart when he gets going on something. Different than most boxers, especially the HW’s. His lisping squeaking voice just makes it all kind of surreal too.
You gotta watch the Tyson- Joe Rogan podcast. Tyson says Cus D”Amato hypnotized / brainwashed him into believing that no one could hurt him, that he would destroy everyone.
Rogan just goes “noooooo”, because it is sort of child abuse lol. But it also came true for his first 40 fights .....
But I really like the guy; no father, mother an addict who died young, somehow survived the worst places in NYC, no guidance or learning whatsoever. Yet he becomes arguably the best ever, and also an engaging interesting guy who is still a great character, still on top in whatever he gets into.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Heard today they were putting in rods to compensate for shattered parts of femur(s).
Doesn’t sound like playing anything is in the cards.
Actually they rodded his tibia. That even worse. Fiala had a rod in his femur after he got hurt in the playoffs and he came back just fine. The tibia takes more stress and has to articulate just right with the ankle.

Plus he had what are called fasciotomies which is basically slicing the skin and the covering over the muscles open because the muscles got crushed and if they were allowed to swell in a closed space it would choke off the blood supply.

This is a very serious injury. I asked a trauma surgeon buddy of mine if this wasnt Tiger Woods and was just a regular 45 year old if they wouldnt have just amputated the leg and he said that very well might have happened

Jul 12, 2007
So, we have reports that Woods is in crippled condition, and not “he’s already practicing his swing”. And I sure as hell wouldn’t know.
I just marvel at the people who
live in Narnia, and keep announcing “yay it’s all good, I love him !”

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
O

I read somewhere that he killed one of them because they were gonna announce that Hernandez was gay. May have been in the documentary.
Which makes no sense these days. He would have just become a massively huger hero / celeb.
He killed his best friend (Lloyd) for threatening to out his bisexual nature this is the crime which he was convicted.
During the investigation of that shooting it was discovered that he had killed two people in their car just for “disrespecting” him in the bar 2 years before that. This case is still technically unsolved as the state could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he pulled the trigger. But it was his gun that fired the bullets that killed both of the victims. He also drove the exact same car that was seen firing into the other car at the red light.
He was determined to be an actual psychopath without a conscience.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I’ve always loved Tyson. Dude’s so naturally funny and really quite smart when he gets going on something. Different than most boxers, especially the HW’s. His lisping squeaking voice just makes it all kind of surreal too.
You gotta watch the Tyson- Joe Rogan podcast. Tyson says Cus D”Amato hypnotized / brainwashed him into believing that no one could hurt him, that he would destroy everyone.
Rogan just goes “noooooo”, because it is sort of child abuse lol. But it also came true for his first 40 fights .....
But I really like the guy; no father, mother an addict who died young, somehow survived the worst places in NYC, no guidance or learning whatsoever. Yet he becomes arguably the best ever, and also an engaging interesting guy who is still a great character, still on top in whatever he gets into.
Tyson has become a very funny comedian and some people don’t remember when he was an intimidating boxer. Before Buster Douglass upset him (last boxing match I watched in it’s entirety) he was dominant. No one punched harder than he did.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Actually they rodded his tibia. That even worse. Fiala had a rod in his femur after he got hurt in the playoffs and he came back just fine. The tibia takes more stress and has to articulate just right with the ankle.

Plus he had what are called fasciotomies which is basically slicing the skin and the covering over the muscles open because the muscles got crushed and if they were allowed to swell in a closed space it would choke off the blood supply.

This is a very serious injury. I asked a trauma surgeon buddy of mine if this wasnt Tiger Woods and was just a regular 45 year old if they wouldnt have just amputated the leg and he said that very well might have happened

Is the fasciomites thing what they did for Johansen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->