OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2007
It’s funny that you mention Austin Peay. They should never get anywhere near the basketball tourney, yet there they are in 1973, in the sweet 16 taking a typically great Kentucky team to OT.
How ? you ask .....
One guy, Fly Williams. Plus some farm boys who don’t really belong in college ball , lol.
Happens in all sports. NCAA tourney is full of small schools with one legendary guy that they will never find again.

Jul 12, 2007
APSU did come up with Trenton Hassel too, so lightning does strike twice.
Murray State had Popeye Jones (father of Seth), as well.

Jul 12, 2007
Wow, Murray State has had some amazing players. Ja Morant, Isaiah Canaan, Stew Johnson, Cameron Payne, Marcus Brown. Big talent for an OVC school. As good as TSU’s Truck Robinson, Anthony Mason, Ted McClain, Lloyd Neal, Robert Covington ? Probably not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnashville

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Wow, Murray State has had some amazing players. Ja Morant, Isaiah Canaan, Stew Johnson, Cameron Payne, Marcus Brown. Big talent for an OVC school. As good as TSU’s Truck Robinson, Anthony Mason, Ted McClain, Lloyd Neal, Robert Covington ? Probably not.

Well, we are talking largely different eras here. And give Ja a chance to have a career and see where he ends up on your list.

Not to mention TSU actually won the OVC what, 2, 3 times, and MSU has like 14....

Jul 12, 2007
Murray has been in the OVC since 1948, TSU since 1986.
But I was only comparing a few guys from each school.
TSU guys I listed had big careers in the NBA / ABA. A couple of the Murray guys did too.
But Ja is definitely a special talent.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
Great name too.
Who doesn’t love a fine ball player named Ja.
TSU had the great nicknames -
Too Tall Jones
Turkey Jones
Dirty Dent
Hound McClain
747 Adams
Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam
Lord’s Prayer Eldridge Dickey
Skeeter Wilma Rudolph
Truck Robinson

I go on about TSU because I worked there 25 years.

Reactions: Adz

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Alabama leading the SEC in basketball is up there in weirdness as well

The Tide has been improving their BB team over the last 10 years or so.

They have played Dayton 4 times and lost all 4, but the last game was only a 5 point victory. In one of the other games, the Flyers won by 32. Alabama plays tough at home!

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That’s nuts
What is even crazier is I think it would have had the same result if there was no outs as each runner would have passed the lead runner so it could have been a triple play. I feel bad for the kid he was excited about the grand slam and just forgot the fundamental rule of the sport (always touch the next base on a hit). I also feel bad for the kid that hit the slam and the umpire as it’s a call that has to be made and you can’t allow those runs to score. Cumberland went on to win the game 4-3 BTW

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
upload_2021-2-17_6-13-8.png

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Extremely fortunate to not be dead, paraplegic, or brain scrambled.

Cant imagine him playing competitive golf again, though
I think he’ll play again. Will he be really competitive? I doubt it, but I don’t think his injuries are severe enough to keep him from making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad