OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Titans basically just gave away Isaiah Wilson to Miami. Spent a 1st on him last summer, then dump him to Miami and the teams swap 7th around picks. While we're bashing Poile's draft record, I don't think he's made a pick worse than Isaiah Wilson. A lot of Poile's 1sts haven't made the NHL, but at least they weren't a national embarrassment while they were flaming out.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Titans basically just gave away Isaiah Wilson to Miami. Spent a 1st on him last summer, then dump him to Miami and the teams swap 7th around picks. While we're bashing Poile's draft record, I don't think he's made a pick worse than Isaiah Wilson. A lot of Poile's 1sts haven't made the NHL, but at least they weren't a national embarrassment while they were flaming out.
Dude is gonna love Miami and the weather. If he wants to continue the party lifestyle, perfect fit

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I feel that when Nashville gets into MLB, the team should be called the Volunteers, which was the official name of the old minor league team from the first half of the 20th century, but was often shortened to Vols. It reflects the state's nickname.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I dont follow MLB closely anymore, but is there actually a plan for expansion and is Nashville considered a likely location?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I feel that when Nashville gets into MLB, the team should be called the Volunteers, which was the official name of the old minor league team from the first half of the 20th century, but was often shortened to Vols. It reflects the state's nickname.

Will never happen. The Volunteers/Vols are too iconic in the state, and nationally to allow another team to use the name, especially a major league team in the same state.

Vegas Golden Knights had a hard enough time getting permission from the Army and London to use that name, no way UT lets a Nashville MLB team use theirs.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
How much of a pain in the butt do you have to be that the best a team can get for you is to move up about 5 spots in the 7th round?

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yes. We’re likely the favorite for the next expansion. The name will be the Nashville Stars.

History. Opportunity. Vision.

Will it be? That comes back to the issues with naming them the Vols. Would the Dallas Stars give a Nashville baseball team permission to use the name? and are there any other teams in other leagues named Stars that would fight it?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I dont follow MLB closely anymore, but is there actually a plan for expansion and is Nashville considered a likely location?
Yes and yes
Nashville has taken over the top spot as a target for expansion in MLB.
I don’t think “Vols” is viable name anymore. In the 1940’s teams didn’t worry about branding and apparel sales and a minor league team then could use that name but today the UT Vols would certainly fight it. Plus I am not sure that anyone wants to be linked to that University’s sports programs right now anyway. The name I keep hearing is “Stars” which would also conflict with the NHL team.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Bust? No question.

National embarrassment? I doubt much of the country could tell you who Isaiah Wilson is.

Reactions: PredsV82

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Zero chance UT would let that happen

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Will it be? That comes back to the issues with naming them the Vols. Would the Dallas Stars give a Nashville baseball team permission to use the name? and are there any other teams in other leagues named Stars that would fight it?
As long as they don't use the stars colors or logo yes they can use it in baseball. Stars and their colors are trademarked for NHL. You have multiple cardinals, bears, giants etc.

Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, [email protected] or see Circular 33, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

What Does Copyright Protect? (FAQ) | U.S. Copyright Office

Also, Nashville Stars has already been trademarked by the ownership group.

NASHVILLE STARS - Music City Baseball, LLC Trademark Registration

Original name of the Nashville Negro League baseball team... So that's where the history is.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
upload_2021-3-9_11-7-45.jpeg

Darius-Rucker-STARS-Credit-Courtesy-of-@DariusRucker.jpg

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn’t imagine that anyone can claim to own the word star(s) or the generic shape of a star. Some dumbass may try, just for face time on the news. But not bloody likely to be taken seriously.
Basing the new team in the old team history is a sure fire winner, nice gesture.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I mean, the Vegas Golden Knights had to come to an agreement with the Army Black Knights and the London Knights about name usage.

USC in California successfully stopped South Carolina from referring to itself as USC.

I think the Dallas Stars have a stronger argument against the Nashville Stars than either of those cases. The Nashville team will either be blocked from using the name, or they'll have to pay some fee that Dallas decides to extort from them.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I mean, the Vegas Golden Knights had to come to an agreement with the Army Black Knights and the London Knights about name usage.

USC in California successfully stopped South Carolina from referring to itself as USC.

I think the Dallas Stars have a stronger argument against the Nashville Stars than either of those cases. The Nashville team will either be blocked from using the name, or they'll have to pay some fee that Dallas decides to extort from them.
Apparently not since the trademark application was approved.

did the Stars pay the owner of the Nashville Stars original team?

Also, show me that’s what happened in Vegas, I’d like to see it. Did Army pay the Knights of Templar? Or the Knights of Columbus for use of the Knights name?

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Apparently not since the trademark application was approved.

did the Stars pay the owner of the Nashville Stars original team?

Also, show me that’s what happened in Vegas, I’d like to see it. Did Army pay the Knights of Templar? Or the Knights of Columbus for use of the Knights name?
Not sure if this is actually the case, but I could see the argument for Army and London given that both organizations use a "Knights" logo for hockey. On the other hand, the Dallas Stars have absolutely no claim to the use of the name "Stars" in any level of baseball, so there couldn't be an issue from a TM or copyright standpoint.

Jul 12, 2007
Lol, no, you can’t own the generic word or concept of “knight”. It’s used by probably a million businesses world-wide.
Nor Star.
It would depend on the details. If you tried to use a stupid looking deformed star that matches the hockey team, you probably lose. In fact, I’ll bet you the current team simply dropped “North” and screwed up the star just a little, to avoid a hassle with the old North Stars. But maybe they’re the same org / Corp, I don’t know.
The old local hockey teams were knights too. They too would have had a big hassle, if it was that ridiculous.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Lol, no, you can’t own the generic word or concept of “knight”. It’s used by probably a million businesses world-wide.
Nor Star.
It would depend on the details. If you tried to use a stupid looking deformed star that matches the hockey, team, you probably lose.
Right, the logo is for sure their trademark, logo and color combo with the name Stars.

Jul 12, 2007
Right, the logo is for sure their trademark, logo and color combo with the name Stars.
Yeah, if you used an orange star, looks like just like the Astros, you’d lose.
If you use a red star, different shape or grouping, you’re good to go.

Jul 12, 2007
Having said all that, there are a lot of ridiculous stories of McDonalds suing people who are actually named McDonald, for opening their own restaurant, own name.
I’d like to think the jag offs don’t win those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad