OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
If at any point I have to self-isolate, I'm going to watch... The Thing aaaaand... Miracle Mile

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Apparently equatorial countries are not seeing the disease spread that others are. Even with inferior health care systems. Hopefully this will help in Africa.

I have hunkered down and am in hiding. No hockey, no pickle ball, and limit going outside to essentials like buying vodka.

I don't have the info in front of me and it's uncertain if this will hold out, but this is supposed to be a cooler climate disease. Same deal with how the 'flu season' happens over the winter.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Good book suggestions? Preferably non-fiction.

I don't know about non-fiction, but in the spirit of the Holidays a sci-fi/historic-medieval book I really enjoyed a year ago is Quietus:

A transdimensional anthropologist can’t keep herself from interfering with Earth’s darkest period of history in this brilliant science fiction debut

Niccolucio, a young Florentine Carthusian monk, leads a devout life until the Black Death kills all of his brothers, leaving him alone and filled with doubt. Habidah, an anthropologist from another universe racked by plague, is overwhelmed by the suffering. Unable to maintain her observer neutrality, she saves Niccolucio from the brink of death.

Habidah discovers that neither her home's plague nor her assignment on Niccolucio's world are as she's been led to believe. Suddenly the pair are drawn into a worlds-spanning conspiracy to topple an empire larger than the human imagination can contain.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Just bought EA Sports NHL for the first time in years. Gotta get that fix somehow.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I might rewatch past Canucks playoff series in a few weeks once I really start to miss hockey. Anyone know where to find these?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just spend the money on gamecenter. Its not that much for hundreds of games, ppl waste 150 bucks on all.sorts of dumber things.

You can basically watch any games you want, past and present.

Reactions: vanuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I've been looking at my catalogue of games to play. Been having a blast with Total War. Maybe I'll dive back into some of the classics. Been wanting to play Mass Effect again for ages.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Checking in from the Netherlands. We're on soft quarantine here - no (post secondary) schools, no gatherings over 100, work from home (if possible), and blocked flights from Iran, Italy, China, and a few others. I suspect we will be going into lock down in the next week or two as cases continue to spread - we are at 900 and some as of today... that we know of.

We have been told to work from home for the foreseeable future, probably at least through March.

Us too. Our current restrictions are until March 31st, though they will certainly extend.

In other news, I have been working on ships in the northern winter down in Antarctica as well as firefighting in BC for the past couple of years. I finished off a contract in Antarctica January 29 ... what a time to leave the cruise ship sector. Impeccable timing, I must say. Now I am here working on my PhD with a four year contract. Should be good to weather this incoming deep recession.

That said, I am not feeling so hot at the moment. Ah well.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I saw a few library posts. Some things I found out over the years

1. If you go to a library once in the greater vancouver area, it gets added to your saved libraries when you register with the new city. The advantage of that is that you can take out, books or dvds from a far library and return it to your close library.

2. You can take out audio books or ebooks from the library app or website. A lot of good content on there. You will probably have to download one or two extra apps do do that, but yoi dont have to leave home.

3. Outside of the Vancouver downtown branch, Lynn valley has blu ray movies and has a large selection. They are pretty loaded with great dvd and blu ray movies.

4.Metrotown has a great selection of tv shows.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Watched the first couple periods of Game 1 from 2010 here last night, helped a bit with all the stress recently:

Our defence was so different. Young Edler was a beast, look at his huge runs at guys and how quick he was. Everyone was pinching pretty hard. Our forward depth wasn't too great, the 4th line was basically not used. Raymond and Hansen on your 3rd line as wingers is nice but Wellwood wasn't enough as 3C.

Man both Alberts and SOB were playing lots of minutes.

The Sedins were just so good, Kesler needed better wingers for sure ( goes to show how hard it is to actually find a player like Miller)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Booth was doing fine as a low rent Miller until that Avs player took out his knee worse than Jeff Gillooly taking out Nancy Kerrigan.
The story of David Booth the Vancouver Canuck is one part comedy and one part tragedy.

david-booth-nutshot-tight-roping.gif

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Watched the first couple periods of Game 1 from 2010 here last night, helped a bit with all the stress recently:

Our defence was so different. Young Edler was a beast, look at his huge runs at guys and how quick he was. Everyone was pinching pretty hard. Our forward depth wasn't too great, the 4th line was basically not used. Raymond and Hansen on your 3rd line as wingers is nice but Wellwood wasn't enough as 3C.

The Sedins were just so good, Kesler needed better wingers for sure ( goes to show how hard it is to actually find a player like Miller)

Man watching the first half of this game just reminded me how much of a better Coach AV was than Green. His understanding of momentum and adjusting the lines to go with the flow of the game was masterful. Also, Samuelsson was underrated he was a beast during that 2010 playoffs. That video reminded me how much I miss playoff Hockey the city really needs it.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I literally took a 4 hour nap because I have no idea what to do with myself. You don’t realize how much to rely on something until it’s gone.

Even worse, a lot of the beer leagues are shutting as of today. Hard to play hockey as well, which is my other timesink.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Wellwood was actually surprisingly effective as a 3C, but it didn’t make any sense because he so didn’t look the part.

Was Salo injured by then?

I loved the way that team activated the D very aggressively to keep plays going up the wall and down low in the offensive zone. So much about the way the coaching staff had that team playing was so good. They don’t often get enough credit for their part in the 10-11 everyone-has-a-career-year thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad