OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
As a data nerd i guess thats possible and RELATIVELY positive cause i imagine a lotta people in different types a jobs like transportation and customer service industry will be losing their jobs. Like CN Tower is now closed so i guess all those workers outta luck, that stinks

Anyone else have their jobs effected YET? I havent yet but getting lots a emails from the employer about how to deal with it well working

Yeah, it's definitely not a problem for me but I feel for people who work in the cafe, the team store and stuff like that.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If the quarantine comes to Canada I’m thinking a Netflix movie club for hf boards.

we can start with mighty ducks

An incompetent coach saved by a superstar player

which should get the discussion going and doesn’t hit close to home at all
Im so hooked to the computer and my phone, but i really wanna use this time (not take advtg) to read more. I know i should but hard to brake the habit

Reactions: mossey3535 and jd22

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Africa will likely be lighter-hit than most because the population there is so young. There aren’t huge populations of chronically ill 80-90 year olds in care homes in Tanzania.

Like, in a country like Tanzania only 3.1% of the population is over the age of 64. The virus could have a 100% death rate in that population and still only be killing people at half the rate of Italy.

Maybe but remember there is a lot of disease in Africa. In South Africa (where I am from) an estimated 12% of the population has HIV. A lot of people had tuberculosis at some time. Those people will see very high death rates. Further, the indirect deaths could be even larger, since for a lot of the population water and food is not even a given. I hope you right.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe but remember there is a lot of disease in Africa. In South Africa (where I am from) an estimated 12% of the population has HIV. A lot of people had tuberculosis at some time. Those people will see very high death rates. Further, the indirect deaths could be even larger, since for a lot of the population water and food is not even a given. I hope you right.

That could be a flipside. Obviously we don’t have good data yet on what happens with this virus in HIV positive people.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Africa will likely be lighter-hit than most because the population there is so young. There aren’t huge populations of chronically ill 80-90 year olds in care homes in Tanzania.

Like, in a country like Tanzania only 3.1% of the population is over the age of 64. The virus could have a 100% death rate in that population and still only be killing people at half the rate of Italy.

The dark side of them not having a high % of elderly (or even like boomer aged people) is that their life expectancy is like 60 across the entire continent...

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The dark side of them not having a high % of elderly (or even like boomer aged people) is that their life expectancy is like 60 across the entire continent...
This is largely due to HIV and high infant mortality rates.

Reactions: timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So I’ve given in and am cancelling my travel plans all the way out to may; hoping the government makes a formal no International travel announcement and declares the us as unsafe so I can get money back

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
So I’ve given in and am cancelling my travel plans all the way out to may; hoping the government makes a formal no International travel announcement and declares the us as unsafe so I can get money back
Good move, since the government has put travel advisories out for leaving the country, you will not be covered under health insurance if you were to fall ill or get hurt. At least mine won’t.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
You know what I just realized and it scared me more than most everything else. - this thing hasn’t even really hit Africa yet;

If it gets out of control there the amount t of deaths we are going to see will skyrocket. If Canada and the us are not prepared how will the African continent hold up

Apparently equatorial countries are not seeing the disease spread that others are. Even with inferior health care systems. Hopefully this will help in Africa.

I have hunkered down and am in hiding. No hockey, no pickle ball, and limit going outside to essentials like buying vodka.

Reactions: Grantham

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!......serious possibility of no NHL or NBA playoffs, or spring baseball. Feel bad for all those arena workers; hospitality industry employees; pub owners and their staff who rely on spring playoffs at their bars and taverns.....and not to forget the staff at the Sports Networks, many of whom are paid per game.

The arenas are dark and even the 'happiest place on earth' Disneyland is shut down. But look at it positively. We're spared the agony of watching the Donald throw out the first pitch to open an MLB season....and above all else, the cancellation of those "Make America Great Again" rallies with all those 'happy faces' in the MAGA hats.

It's an 'ill wind that doesn't blow somebody, some good'.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If the quarantine comes to Canada I’m thinking a Netflix movie club for hf boards.

we can start with mighty ducks

An incompetent coach saved by a superstar player

which should get the discussion going and doesn’t hit close to home at all

Anyone into VR at all? HF VR sports to avoid spending all day sitting :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At this rate, Don Cherry's 'Rock-em-sock-em" videos could make a comeback on the Net. Heck even old Cherry's HNIC Coach's Corner re-runs could re-surface!

I'm already digging in the garage for a VHS or CD of 'Slapshot" with Reggie Dunlop, the Hansens and Ogie Ogolthorpe. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
At this rate, Don Cherry's 'Rock-em-sock-em" videos could make a comeback on the Net. Heck even old Cherry's HNIC Coach's Corner re-runs could re-surface!

I'm already digging in the garage for a VHS or CD of 'Slapshot" with Reggie Dunlop, the Hansens and Ogie Ogolthorpe. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad