OT: The OT Self-Isolation Thread 2: Self Isolate Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's insane. It's so utterly insane. I haven't had so many posts deleted since the political forum was killed. Americans have lost all connection with f***ing reality.
We got our own nutjobs *HERE* in BC. Look at the much smaller anti-lockdown protests in the province. We're just lucky, they're not similiarly funded (eg., "follow the money" where a good chunk of these anarchists are supported by). And embolded by the Faux Network.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's insane. It's so utterly insane. I haven't had so many posts deleted since the political forum was killed. Americans have lost all connection with f***ing reality.

My wife's on the north shore in an essential front-line facility. My cousin's an ER doctor in the valley. It's tough, but stay strong and stay safe.

Hockey doesn't matter. This matters.

Thank you.

My mom works at a nursing home taking care of the elderly, she’s been doing her best in these situations.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah it’s like the political board is back, which I think is lacking big time here.

it’s crazy; some guy is like these people were gonna die anyway so it’s acceptable; his legit comment is “we accept death everyday” so opening up should be key.

other people are only worried about the economy and willing to kill people for it and another is talking about bill gates attempting to control the world through his bill and Melinda gates foundation.

I would really like to know what trauma these guys have gone through; it might be the only more interesting question than what trauma hindustansmyl went through to start collecting jockstraps

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
it’s crazy; some guy is like these people were gonna die anyway so it’s acceptable; his legit comment is “we accept death everyday” so opening up should be key.

other people are only worried about the economy and willing to kill people for it and another is talking about bill gates attempting to control the world through his bill and Melinda gates foundation.

I would really like to know what trauma these guys have gone through; it might be the only more interesting question than what trauma hindustansmyl went through to start collecting jockstraps

I label these people are out right nut jobs.
Heck I have people on my social media post the same shit and I’m like ‘bitch, all you do is party, dance and brag about your alcohol and now you want to post conspiracy theories!?’

f*** out of here with these crazies.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I jumped into Mad Men around the end of season 3 because my partner was watching it, and we've gone through 3 seasons in about a month. I realize I'm late on this, but it's the best television show I've ever seen. It's dense, subtle, thoughtful and sad, and meticulously, carefully builds a whole world and emotional experience in your mind. We'll talk about what we think a character is thinking or about to do and realize we actually believe they exist. There's such a huge contrast between that and how you might feel about a character in a lesser show, where you understand at all times you're watching a contemporary person in front of a camera.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Uh so some people are drinking disinfectants such as lysol now. It's f***ing ridiculous how backwards we have become and it's quite scary to think what can be done with these idiots in our society. Hell, he could issue a mandate to kill anyone who may have symptoms of COVID19 and there would be many takers.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Uh so some people are drinking disinfectants such as lysol now. It's f***ing ridiculous how backwards we have become and it's quite scary to think what can be done with these idiots in our society. Hell, he could issue a mandate to kill anyone who may have symptoms of COVID19 and there would be many takers.
Okay, here's how I usually think about these things:

There are over 300 million people in the United States. A tiny proportion of them responding irrationally to a particular event or statement doesn't denote a general trend or reality within that population. We understand this on a rational level, but people disregard it in order to feel entitled to get pissed off at other people. My circle of acquaintance is generally pretty bright and educated, but my Facebook feed is full of competing memes about stupid things people on the left or right or belonging to some other identifiable subgroup have supposedly said or done, prefaced with some version of, "This is why everyone we can identify this way is stupid and should be politically disenfranchised." Every prominent entertainer mostly dealing in political news seems to do the same thing. I probably agree with Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, etc on most issues, but I can't watch them because they mostly just slander people. It's frustrating and uninteresting to watch.

Reactions: HelloCookie

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
My favourite is anyone posting youtube videos of guys in scrubs that "really makes you think....."

Regarding one specific duo that I've seen posted in this very thread:

A joint statement from the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM): “As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears [Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi] are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.”

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I jumped into Mad Men around the end of season 3 because my partner was watching it, and we've gone through 3 seasons in about a month. I realize I'm late on this, but it's the best television show I've ever seen. It's dense, subtle, thoughtful and sad, and meticulously, carefully builds a whole world and emotional experience in your mind. We'll talk about what we think a character is thinking or about to do and realize we actually believe they exist. There's such a huge contrast between that and how you might feel about a character in a lesser show, where you understand at all times you're watching a contemporary person in front of a camera.
Mad Men is my #1 all time television drama. Watched it live from the very beginning in 2007, and never missed a show. If you have time, go back and watch seasons 1 and 2. It's worth it.

What Jon Hamm did as "Don Draper" vs those "skip the dishes" commercials is head spinning . I'm sure he was well paid for those commercials.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I never understood the love for Mad Men. Thought it was because I was watching it too young, but I tried again and just don't get it.

Also gas in Edmonton is $0.56. I filled up a half tank on my Civic (for the first time in 6 weeks...) for $12 yesterday...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

It's a lose-lose situation. You either kill people because things open up and they get the virus or you kill people because the economy crashes and everyone is broke. Just as many, if not more will die if the economy crashes. I'm just looking up how many deaths were linked to 2008, and I'm seeing 500,000 people died related to the recession.

Obviously the way these people are presenting this argument is so stupid, like the one you mentioned.

There is no solution where everyone lives and if there was, that causes a lot of issues too. Lose-lose-lose.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

It doesn't affect me because I am . . . I . . . well . . . uh . . . well, my avat . . . well, you know . . .

DISCLAIMER: I am being sarcastic, I don't drink lysol and no one should, I shouldn't have to say this, it totally ruins the humour in my post but with @Hit the post frequenting these boards you can't be too careful who will do something stupid

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's a lose-lose situation. You either kill people because things open up and they get the virus or you kill people because the economy crashes and everyone is broke. Just as many, if not more will die if the economy crashes. I'm just looking up how many deaths were linked to 2008, and I'm seeing 500,000 people died related to the recession.

Obviously the way these people are presenting this argument is so stupid, like the one you mentioned.

There is no solution where everyone lives and if there was, that causes a lot of issues too. Lose-lose-lose.

The economy is f***ed either way. If they push to reopen in the way that is being demanded in parts of the US, they're just going to have a recession with the Covid deaths piled on top of it. It's not like you can just run business as usual with that many people sick and dying.

Are those 500,000 deaths in Canada? The US? Globally? What were the causes?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The economy is f***ed either way. If they push to reopen in the way that is being demanded in parts of the US, they're just going to have a recession with the Covid deaths piled on top of it. It's not like you can just run business as usual with that many people sick and dying.

Are those 500,000 deaths in Canada? The US? Globally? What were the causes?

Everyone loses, as I said. Doesn't matter what is done, people are going to be heavily impacted or at worst, die.

Reactions: David71

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

It's a.... situation that each of us individually must start planning for going forward.

We're really really lucky to live in country that isn't being torn in half by politics.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Everyone loses, as I said. Doesn't matter what is done, people are going to be heavily impacted or at worst, die.

Agree. Essentially...it's all moot right now. The economy as it used to be is now dead.

Retail and service sector jobs are forever gone. Malls were already in tough finding tenants prior to this and will surely be selling off land.

A double whammy as we will need major austerity to prevent all levels of government from going bankrupt. The governments in power in all levels are f***ed.

The change was always coming but we were always waiting for the trigger event.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Agree. Essentially...it's all moot right now. The economy as it used to be is now dead.

Retail and service sector jobs are forever gone. Malls were already in tough finding tenants prior to this and will surely be selling off land.

A double whammy as we will need major austerity to prevent all levels of government from going bankrupt. The governments in power in all levels are f***ed.

The change was always coming but we were always waiting for the trigger event.
John Maynard Keynes: "But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead. "

But enough this negative talk:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Much of this urgency to get the economy open again or whatever, IMO, is a desire to basically loot the burning palace masquerading as concern for people’s livelihoods.

We should be more focused on dealing with the current crisis and figuring out how to take the opportunity to reshape things for the better coming out of it instead of yelling and screaming for people who are going to be f***ed either way to go back to work this instant.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Much of this urgency to get the economy open again or whatever, IMO, is a desire to basically loot the burning palace masquerading as concern for people’s livelihoods.
spanish-flu-meme-jpg.6231

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

We should be more focused on dealing with the current crisis and figuring out how to take the opportunity to reshape things for the better coming out of it instead of yelling and screaming for people who are going to be f***ed either way to go back to work this instant.

You're god damned right. This crisis is showing what decades of austerity measures, erosion of social safety nets, middle ground policy, and unchecked wealth inequality gets you.

Reactions: I am toxic

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Has anyone been to the main board covid-19 post? So many people are sitting there wearing tinfoil hats it’s unbelievable.

There's a growing number of people in my social circle (friends of friends on facebook, co-workers, etc) that are starting to lean that way. Even some of the shit my uncle has started posting is enough to make me want to cut contact with him because I just don't have the energy to argue with him. Sharing posts from yellow vest groups, or links to quack quasi doctors with income driven opinions, or going so far to call Tucker Carlson and fox news relatable.

Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad