OT: The OT Non-Ski Resort - Xbox One Pity Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Also remember This is the End's effective use of "I Will Always Love You".
Quite like that.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Has anyone seen the Blue Man Group?

I find them quite fascinating.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I went and saw them live when Rogers Arena was GM Place. It was quite a while ago, but the experience was super cool.

Yeah...
I really want to see them live.
It is weird...
But I like the sets I have seen in clips.

REALLY?! :amazed:

My entire childhood has been a lie.

Read The Arabian Nights.
The story was set in China.
Nevertheless...
Everything else still feel very Persia.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
How Disney is wrong...
Case #13579:

Aladdin is actually Chinese.

WHAT?!?! No.

Aladdin is such an East Indian name, plus Jasmine's attire along with the Sultan is very East Indian, I don't even think there are sultans in China. Plus, the housing, the sandstorms and deserts, that can't be China.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
WHAT?!?! No.

Aladdin is such an East Indian name, plus Jasmine's attire along with the Sultan is very East Indian, I don't even think there are sultans in China. Plus, the housing, the sandstorms and deserts, that can't be China.

Keep in mind The One Thousand and One Nights are largely translations derived from common story tellers, who probably didn't have a sharp knowledge of geography. Yeah, Aladdin is Chinese but even in the original story, almost everyone has Arab names and the setting is very Arabic/Muslim.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
WHAT?!?! No.

In the original story in The Arabian Nights...
Aladdin was set in China.

Disney had been known to take great liberties with the stories.
Another example would be Pocahontas.
In real history...
When she saved John Smith...
She was probably 11 or 12 at that time...
And not the teenage version in the movie.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Keep in mind The One Thousand and One Nights are largely translations derived from common story tellers, who probably didn't have a sharp knowledge of geography. Yeah, Aladdin is Chinese but even in the original story, almost everyone has Arab names and the setting is very Arabic/Muslim.

You are completely correct.

I really recommend people to read The Arabian Nights, or The One Thousand and One Nights, again.
You get something different from it when you read it as an adult.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Disney has never met a story it could not screw up.

Some spoilers for you

The hunchback starves to death after lying down with corpse of Esmeralda after she was hung as witch and dumped in a tomb. The officer just want sex and was part hanging her.

No idea why Disney had the idea to change history with Pocahontas when they could have given them made up names and made it an original fiction.

Must resist further anti-disney rants. Could be worse though, Disney could sink to a Mike Moore level of inaccuracy passed off as fact.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Next you will be telling me that Baloo does not in fact have the Bear necessities...

250px-Baloo_the_bear.jpg

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Amazing. This stuff is exactly why I find the majority of sports media to be insufferable. The analysis is so lazy and generally inaccurate.

X team lost? They choked.
X team won? They just wanted it more.
If Player X's team wins game 7, he's the best player in the league. If not, CHOKER.

Oh, and that really was a fantastic game (and I hate basketball). Might actually watch game 7 if I get the chance.

StringerBell

Amazing. This stuff is exactly why I find the majority of sports media to be insufferable. The analysis is so lazy and generally inaccurate.

X team lost? They choked.
X team won? They just wanted it more.
If Player X's team wins game 7, he's the best player in the league. If not, CHOKER.

Oh, and that really was a fantastic game (and I hate basketball). Might actually watch game 7 if I get the chance.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just got back from auditing an acting class at Austin-Tuck studios downtown. I have to say it was a very humbling experience. I realized about 2 minutes in that whatever I thought I knew...I didn't know a damn thing. Mega respect for actors and actresses, professional or student.

Definitely something that I want to learn more about and take part in, though it'll probably be something that gets pushed back after my September Eurotrip. It's definitely not a class that you can just do 1 month of and be comfortable with what you've learned...it appears to be all about development and developing and evolving your skills and that will come over time. A very eye-opening, but great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad