The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think our best hope to keep Bread is Atkinson. If they develop a special chemistry (and it looks like that may be happening), perhaps Bread might want to stay in order to play with Cam. And let's face it, it is unlikely he will get to play on a better line elsewhere than than the Bread-PLD-Cam line here in Cbus.

They are one of the league's best trios, no doubt. But that's mostly because of Panarin. Put him with two average topliners and you can match that. Put him with Barkov and Dadonov and you'll have the league's best line. With Seguin and Radulov would also be amazing. The Rangers are one team that probably can't put together a topline of Panarin-PLD-Cam quality, with Panarin added.

Though Columbus might be able to put together the league's best 5-man unit. That has got to be fun to play with.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
My gut tells me that Panarin will thrive under all the pressure and may have a spectacular season. Making his departure extra painful.

With Bob the story could very well be the exact opposite. In fact if he chokes during this season then his value may end up being quite low considering that it would reaffirm the suspicion that he may never be "Vezina Bob" in the PO.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My gut tells me that Panarin will thrive under all the pressure and may have a spectacular season. Making his departure extra painful.

With Bob the story could very well be the exact opposite. In fact if he chokes during this season then his value may end up being quite low considering that it would reaffirm the suspicion that he may never be "Vezina Bob" in the PO.
I think we're f***ed it we do and f***ed if we don't.

Let's say we go on a miracle run and win the cup, what incentive does that give Panarin to stay, his value would be at an all time high.

We don't make the playoffs or even if we do and win a round, it doesn't really do much to sway him.

Barring us making a legitimate cup run and falling short I don't see many scenarios where he stays.

Maybe we make a Blockbuster move and get one of his buddies like Kuch and it convinces him to stay but it's all just pipedreams and fairy tales right now.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I think we're ****ed it we do and ****ed if we don't.

Let's say we go on a miracle run and win the cup, what incentive does that give Panarin to stay, his value would be at an all time high.

We don't make the playoffs or even if we do and win a round, it doesn't really do much to sway him.

Barring us making a legitimate cup run and falling short I don't see many scenarios where he stays.

Maybe we make a Blockbuster move and get one of his buddies like Kuch and it convinces him to stay but it's all just pipedreams and fairy tales right now.

This team should have a great season. I mean by all means! CBJ is clearly getting better, in fact its on a strong uptrend. While WSH and Pitts are both trending down. WSH is tired and Pitts is aging.

But I really fear that ot could easily be Bob who ruins this season for the team. That would make everyone lose really. The team would lose a season, Bobs market value would substantially decline, Bobs confidence would decrease as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Tampa and Boston say hello.

The Jackets 5 man unit was better than anyone for that 6 weeks at the end of last year. It's not out of the question that they could best everyone over a season.

I mean you're right. For many posters here, if Bob has a bad regular season, it says a lot about his play in the PO. In fact, he just had a bad pre-season and that proved a whole lot of things about his playoff play, apparently. He chokes when it matters, we learned last week, apparently. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
The Jackets 5 man unit was better than anyone for that 6 weeks at the end of last year. It's not out of the question that they could best everyone over a season.

I mean you're right. For many posters here, if Bob has a bad regular season, it says a lot about his play in the PO. In fact, he just had a bad pre-season and that proved a whole lot of things about his playoff play, apparently. He chokes when it matters, we learned last week, apparently. :laugh::laugh:

Sarcasm aside, you know I was referring to his ability to play under pressure. He will be playing under a lot of pressure during this regular season.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sarcasm aside, you know I was referring to his ability to play under pressure. He will be playing under a lot of pressure during this regular season.

I'm watching to see how Bob reacts too. I just don't see why this year counts as pressure and his great performance last year does not. We were on the playoff bubble for months.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Ok I'll play.
Let's say Bread has a great season 90+ points, Presidents cup, we roll thru the playoffs and destroy Washington, Pittsburgh and Tampa along the way and win the Cup vs Vegas (insert whatever names you want). Panarin plays great. THe CBJ are the darlings of the league. The CBJ offer him a MAX deal.

If he walks at that point many people will question him and what is his priority (winning vs lifestyle). He would have every right to leave but if this team plays great it will make it very tough for him to leave.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Ok I'll play.
Let's say Bread has a great season 90+ points, Presidents cup, we roll thru the playoffs and destroy Washington, Pittsburgh and Tampa along the way and win the Cup vs Vegas (insert whatever names you want). Panarin plays great. THe CBJ are the darlings of the league. The CBJ offer him a MAX deal.

If he walks at that point many people will question him and what is his priority (winning vs lifestyle). He would have every right to leave but if this team plays great it will make it very tough for him to leave.

I am late to the party.

In my old heart, I would hope that a run and a good time with teammates would sway Panarin to re-sign with CBJ.
But I have to recognize that a) Panarin has the absolute right in July 2019 to look at offers from every team; b) Columbus is not that hot of a city for a 20-30 year old unless children are involved; c) the Russian community is not as established here as in some other cities that are purportedly "on the list;" d) Other than Bob, there are no other Russians on this team; e) ...f)...g)...h)….etc....
And just when I want to say this is a new phenomenon or a generation X / Y thing, and that there is less loyalty now, I am just wrong. This is just the ability to control one's life, and everyone, regardless of age, has had that control, whether we realized it or used it. And the old days of a team controlling a player for their career have been over for a long time. The business world sees employees, even key employees, staying on average 5 years at most, especially early in their careers.

Most on here are not in the same stratosphere as Panarin, and our job decisions don't affect a fanbase, but we each were entitled to make decisions when we took jobs, changed jobs, etc....
Why do we think loyalty to the CBJ, for Panarin, should be any different than our loyalty (or lack thereof) to our employer? We do think that it is or should be different...even those that recognize Panarin's right to decide, or point out that they root for the CBJ (not any individual player), that sentiment that there should be some heightened level of loyalty is lurking somewhere. It's because we are fans, because we invest emotionally in the team (well most of us do), and while the team may come first in our minds, the team is made up of individual players, some of whom we get attached to for a variety of reasons. Maybe its the amount of money they make that creates this sense that they owe the franchise something....I don't know.

And yet there is still some loyalty - both for Panarin and for us "regular folk" to our employers/organizations. It shows up in a variety of ways.
But each person has made decisions about where and for whom to work, whether after high school, undergrad, grad school....or just wanting/needing to change jobs. Those decisions were based on a ranking of priorities - maybe to be close to family, to earn more money, to work for a recognized employer, to avoid harsh winters, to be where our significant other would like to be, to be able to party, for health reasons, to get away from an overbearing boss, to seek a different challenge, etc.... And my experience has been that fellow professionals who have worked for a year or two with an organization have not built up the loyalty to a team as much as a professional who has been with the organization for 5+ years (no matter the generation). Most of us have been and are free agents every day of the week; we get to entertain offers or confidentially seek out another employer 24/7/365. Every day is a decision to stay with the employer/job we have.... sometimes that may be out of necessity or lack of opportunity, as we all don't have offers coming our way on a routine basis, let alone anticipated offers of $9+M per year for the next 8 years from a variety of locations looking to find us next summer - but for the most part we can leave our employer with 2 weeks notice, and start over, without much fanfare or criticism. Every day we show up is a decision to stay. And I've been on both ends of the spectrum... I was with my first firm for 18 months. The next firm still has me... 32 years later.

Yet NHL stars like Panarin, or any NHL player for that matter, do not have that freedom. They only get the chance to have that much control 1x or 2x during their career given the CBA in the NHL - and this will be his first and prime chance to have such control. I'm not apologizing for it, I'm not suggesting they have it rough, I'm not saying it's unfair. It is the system, and the players are paid very handsomely within that system. But when a player finally does get to choose his team, we have no idea what his ranking of priorities may be, or what priorities will drive his decision to go to X or to stay with the CBJ. He could end up with the Rangers not because of NYC night life but because of Russian cultural opportunities, or because flights to Russia are easier, or because his GF (and she seems more than that to him at this point) has her best friends or family in or near NYC (or pick any other city), or because there is a teammate there that he wants to play with and be able to socialize with after practices, games, or because he thinks they have more cash to build a perennial contender around him than Columbus, etc...
He could stay in Columbus because he strikes up a friendship with a neighbor in the next month who has the best restaurant in the world (to Panarin) (and where is that neighbor? or restaurant?).

I don't know or pretend to know any of the factors for Panarin. I do know that many factors affect these decisions - I've watched many professionals in my own organization agonize over these decisions, some staying, some leaving based on factors that only they can prioritize. Historically, significant others (and their families) tend to be high on the list of factors.
I get the sense that some think that if the CBJ offered Panarin the top dollar, why would he want to, how could he leave? The fact is other teams can offer him the same dollars or more (albeit one less year of term), and those teams may have other factors that make them more attractive. The CBJ may give Panarin a good chance to win, but leaving doesn't mean he values lifestyle over winning. Other teams offer a chance to win too - some with a better chance, some with less chance, over the long haul.

I hope Panarin has a crazy-good year with the CBJ. I hope he decides to stay. I REALLY hope he would decide to stay NOW. But that is nothing but the fandom in me.
What I realistically hope for is that I enjoy watching him without the overhanging angst of his upcoming decision (and Bob's/MGMT's). I hope the CBJ have a great year as a team.
And whatever Panarin's (and Bob's) decision is, I will live with it. He isn't Carter or Foote, neither is Bob, not even close. Panarin is living up to his contract, his agreement, his pledge, his handshake, his word. I anticipate he will do that for every game he dons a CBJ sweater.

I just hope that neighbor and restaurant show up and end up being first on Panarin's and his significant other's priority list. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Artemi Panarin doesn’t seem predisposed to signing a contract extension with the Columbus Blue Jackets before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer.
That means general manager Jarmo Kekalainen will either have to trade Panarin before the late February deadline, or perhaps simply keep the star forward for the team’s potential playoff push and then simply recover the cap space savings while collecting no assets for him.

Panarin’s UFA stance with the Blue Jackets was the subject of part of Thursday’s edition of TSN’s Insider Trading.

“If that’s not bad enough because it shocked the organization in the summer, my understanding is that he doesn’t want to sign with anyone, period, during this season,” indicated Pierre LeBrun. “In other words, if and when he gets traded he’ll be traded as a rental, which will greatly diminish the potential return for him; compared to if, let’s say, he would be gone in a trade like Max Pacioretty, who signed an extension with Vegas, which gave the Montreal Canadiens a greater return.

“It sounds like, instead, it’ll be like Erik Karlsson leaving Ottawa, which hurts your return if you’re Columbus.”

Panarin is in the back half of a two-year contract with a cap hit of $6 million.

He could, if he wanted, sign a contract extension with the Blue Jackets - or an acquiring team via trade - at any point.

Insider Trading: Panarin trade would be strictly a rental

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jarmo needs to put an offer out there , and overpay. Offer 8 yrs 92 mill , 11.5 mill per season, that’s some serious extra money , considering the extra year . The money we will save by not signing Bob , and going with a Korpi/Elvis Combo , will save us close to 7.5 mill per season . Package Wennberg to Ottawa , and get Duchene, and enjoy the cups that ensue .

Rimer was on the radio about a week ago , and said he heard our initial offer was 9 mill per season . If I were him , I wouldn’t sign for 9 mill either . Someone will throw big money in UFA . But 11.5 would make it hard for him to say no .

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Jarmo needs to put an offer out there , and overpay. Offer 8 yrs 92 mill , 11.5 mill per season, that’s some serious extra money , considering the extra year . The money we will save by not signing Bob , and going with a Korpi/Elvis Combo , will save us close to 7.5 mill per season . Package Wennberg to Ottawa , and get Duchene, and enjoy the cups that ensue .

Rimer was on the radio about a week ago , and said he heard our initial offer was 9 mill per season . If I were him , I wouldn’t sign for 9 mill either . Someone will throw big money in UFA . But 11.5 would make it hard for him to say no .

People that are open to signing make a demand. He has apparently never made one, or I think that information would be out there.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That's what I have been saying.

More than anything, he wants to see what is out there. He won't extend anywhere no matter who is making the offer.

Not only that, but according to Dreger Jarmo has essentially stopped shopping him.

Call it denial, but players don't simply walk away from a team which is competitive and which is willing to match any dollar amount offered absent a major disagreement with management or coaching. Maybe Panarin will be one of the very few who does, but at this point it seems like they are calling his bluff.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Pro tip: if you say "trade for Duchene" rather than "get rid of Wennberg" followed by Duchene as an afterthought, your posts can be taken seriously as an actual idea rather than yet another twist on a "I HATE WENNBERG SO VERY VERY MUCH" agenda.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's what I have been saying.

More than anything, he wants to see what is out there. He won't extend anywhere no matter who is making the offer.

Not only that, but according to Dreger Jarmo has essentially stopped shopping him.

Call it denial, but players don't simply walk away from a team which is competitive and which is willing to match any dollar amount offered absent a major disagreement with management or coaching. Maybe Panarin will be one of the very few who does, but at this point it seems like they are calling his bluff.

Recall the Sept. 13th deadline? That was Milstein/Panarin saying they will listen to offers from select other clubs up until that point.

What's going on now is that Panarin doesn't want to talk contracts/trades during the season, very common for players. If staying in Columbus was a strong option for him he would have been willing to listen to offers from our FO just like he was willing to listen to other clubs offers.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
P
Pro tip: if you say "trade for Duchene" rather than "get rid of Wennberg" followed by Duchene as an afterthought, your posts can be taken seriously as an actual idea rather than yet another twist on a "I HATE WENNBERG SO VERY VERY MUCH" agenda.
Perhaps go back and read my post , I said package Wennberg for Duchene . But I appreciate your contribution :help:

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
P

Perhaps go back and read my post , I said package Wennberg for Duchene . But I appreciate your contribution :help:
No, you said "Package Wennberg to Ottawa". Then a pause. Then you mentioned a possible target. The first thing being presented - that is, your core objective - wasn't presented as "trade for Duchene"; it was presented as "get rid of Wennberg".

I would be normally willing to write that off as a quirk of sentence structure if it weren't for your long history of overly biased criticism against wennberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad