TSN: The Oilers and Lucic

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Would Boston do a swap straight up for David Backes? Looch is a few years younger, but his deal's two years longer at the same cap hit. With the Bruins rumored to be interested in Maroon, would they prefer bringing back the real thing?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Would Boston do a swap straight up for David Backes? Looch is a few years younger, but his deal's two years longer at the same cap hit. With the Bruins rumored to be interested in Maroon, would they prefer bringing back the real thing?

No

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Boston would make sense tbh. It never felt right to see him in another uniform

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lucic has more valuable to Edmonton then he does trading him away with salary retained and a sweetener. If the rumors are true of the cap going up to near 85 million then we can keep him. It just comes at the expense of RNH.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Any reason why? Lucic is the more productive player currently and those additional two years come after the Bergeron, Krejci and Rask deals end when they're most assuredly going to take less if they stay in Boston, considering their ages. It's difficult to plan that far ahead, but one would assume the cap is significantly higher at that point, meaning his cap would have a much smaller impact at that point.

Ignoring the term, who would Boston prefer to have? Lucic or Backes?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Hell no.

Backes is more versatile and 2 less years is a huge ++.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Any reason why? Lucic is the more productive player currently and those additional two years come after the Bergeron, Krejci and Rask deals end when they're most assuredly going to take less if they stay in Boston, considering their ages. It's difficult to plan that far ahead, but one would assume the cap is significantly higher at that point, meaning his cap would have a much smaller impact at that point.

Ignoring the term, who would Boston prefer to have? Lucic or Backes?

Backes, not close. Bruins are deepest at LW. They already have 3 in the NHL that are really good in Marchand, DeBrusk, and Heinen. I wouldn't put Lucic in their spot today.

Lucic will never play for Boston again. That thought ended the day he was moved to LA

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
There is a massive amount of overrating what it would take to move Lucic’s contract in here.

Dumping the whole thing and not taking any salary back and retaining a bit to make it more palatable are wildly different things; no chance does Edmonton give up an unprotected first rounder this year to move him. 2019 or 2020 maybe but with that puck looking like it could be top 5 in a great draft class? Dream on.

3 years @ 5.25m of David Clarkson was worth a 1st and a 2nd (24th overall or lets say on e 1st at 15th). Lets say Lucic is actually of value at 6x4M, 6 years at 3M negative value should be worth close to the same. Maybe I'm a little light with EDM currently at 6th but it's at a minimum only 9 spots off

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Backes, not close. Bruins are deepest at LW. They already have 3 in the NHL that are really good in Marchand, DeBrusk, and Heinen. I wouldn't put Lucic in their spot today.

Lucic will never play for Boston again. That thought ended the day he was moved to LA
Why are the Bruins rumored to be interested in Maroon then? Isn't Heinen technically a center?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There's been no reports or even hints that the Oilers are even upset with Lucic's play let alone looking to move him, so a lot of these posts with the Oilers giving up their 2018 1st or Puljujarvi to move him are fairly nonsensical.

Jan 21, 2018
Lucic has more valuable to Edmonton then he does trading him away with salary retained and a sweetener. If the rumors are true of the cap going up to near 85 million then we can keep him. It just comes at the expense of RNH.

And Eberle. Don't forget about him, I know Oiler fans made sure we were all aware that they got Lucic + Strome for Eberle so it was a landslide win. Or was it Lucic and Larsson for Hall, I can't remember all these made up transactions.

Reactions: Menzinger

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He is a depth UFA. Lucic is a highly paid 5 year anchor. Don't see a difference here?
I do. But your explanation as to why Lucic doesn't make sense in terms of need is because of Boston's perceived depth at LW. The same explanation would ring true in regards to Maroon, would it not?

The Backes for Lucic swap wouldn't have a negative effect on your salary situation for another three and a half seasons, likely when the Bruins are in a rebuilding phase.

Nevertheless, If what @BB88 said about Backes' versatility is true, the deal obviously doesn't make sense regardless of the contract term.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I do. But your explanation as to why Lucic doesn't make sense in terms of need is because of Boston's perceived depth at LW. The same explanation would ring true in regards to Maroon, would it not?

The Backes for Lucic swap wouldn't have a negative effect on your salary situation for another three and a half seasons, likely when the Bruins are in a rebuilding phase.

Nevertheless, If what @BB88 said about Backes' versatility is true, the deal obviously doesn't make sense regardless of the contract term.

No, Bruins are going on a playoff run. They can add a depth piece that is closer than the LW depth for the one run. Neither Lucic or Maroon play RW, which creates a bigger hole. Maroon wouldn't cost Backes or have any effect. It has zero comparibles.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Attachments

• Stewie_vomit_zpsdqjoypiw.gif
    Stewie_vomit_zpsdqjoypiw.gif
    850.8 KB · Views: 2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And Eberle. Don't forget about him, I know Oiler fans made sure we were all aware that they got Lucic + Strome for Eberle so it was a landslide win. Or was it Lucic and Larsson for Hall, I can't remember all these made up transactions.

It was Hall. They wouldn't have been able to sign Lucic without moving Hall.....yes,, Chiarelli is an idiot.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
do you not understand the major problem with Lucic's contract is term?

3M locked up that many years is still an anchor if Lucic's play continues to decline each year. there are better contracts than that which have been bought out.

i don't expect the Oilers to retain 50% AND give up a lottery 1st. actually I don't expect them to do either, Lucic is stuck on that team unless they can find a similar albatross contract to swap. but even at 50% that's a bad contract, that's how bad Chiarelli is at his job.
Term is awful, everyone knew that when it was signed. But let's not pretend that 3m is really hard to swallow for a 50ish point forward. Will he be getting 50 points while playing physically in the last couple years? Probably not but at 3m with the cap going up, teams would take the risk, easily.

People are just overreacting cause the Oilers suck this year and outside of a handful of players, everyone is underperforming points wise (and other aspects ofc). I still believe he can hit 40-50 points again next year which is what he was on pace for until the entire team probably realized we were done and stopped trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad