TSN: The Oilers and Lucic

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Has his play dropped off that much? I haven't watched him this year, so I'm curious. He does have 30 points on a crappy team though.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Has his play dropped off that much? I haven't watched him this year, so I'm curious. He does have 30 points on a crappy team though.
I see a lot of complaints from Oilers fans about him not looking like he gives a f***, which is concerning. Though I understand that's not a rarity on the Oilers roster these days.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
How much is Edmonton willing to retain?
What about Lucic@50%+Benson+unprotected 1st this year
for
Leivo, Lupul@50%, Fehr, SJ'S 2nd and Picard?

Lots of pieces going both ways.

^that's God awful, dream on about getting the Oilers high draft pick that easy !!:skeptic:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

This discussion has nothing to do with his play this season. Lucic, like many other Oilers, is on a cold streak, and this is the perfect time for other fans to make fun of us.

Lucic is pointless in 9 which is a horrible streak, before that he was playing decent hockey.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can someone with more salary cap knowledge explain to me the idea of retaining salary on trades for players who are paid mostly in signing bonuses? Like, can a GM decide to just retain signing bonus money instead of the money owed? Not 100% sure about the ins and outs of salary retention.

Nope. Any salary retention trades must retain an equal % of all salary and bonuses. Can't pick and choose.

Reactions: qwerty

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
If I was Chia, I'd let the Lucic thing ride out for a while. Just avoid re-signing Maroon. I think Chia pushed too hard to get that roster into the playoffs, and pushing too hard the other way to undo some of his mess could just set them back further.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He's looked pretty bad as of late, but I find it hard to believe it's anything other than a slump when his first ~30 games of the season were the best he's looked as an Oiler.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How much is Edmonton willing to retain?
What about Lucic@50%+Benson+unprotected 1st this year
for
Leivo, Lupul@50%, Fehr, SJ'S 2nd and Picard?

Lots of pieces going both ways.

Lots of garbage going Edmonton’s way. Rather just stick Lucic on the third line until Seattle comes in then compliance buyout.

Lucic @ 3 million would have positive value league wide, and you definitely wouldn’t be getting Benson and a top ten pick going with him for... that. Seriously, there’s absolutely nothing interesting there.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Lucic + Edm Unprotected 1st + Puljujärvi for a signed Erik Karlsson?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I feel like moving Lucic comes down to how much are the Oilers willing to retain and/or send with Lucic to move him off the team.

There will always be a team rebuilding that is willing to take a bad contract for an additional good asset.

I could certainly see Benning taking Lucic if the price is down or if the Canucks got an asset. They'd probably even move back Sutter or Baertschi or something.

flooredaccord

Apr 30, 2011
Lots of garbage going Edmonton’s way. Rather just stick Lucic on the third line until Seattle comes in then compliance buyout.

Lucic @ 3 million would have positive value league wide, and you definitely wouldn’t be getting Benson and a top ten pick going with him for... that. Seriously, there’s absolutely nothing interesting there.

What compliance buy out?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Mcdavid must feel like an idiot for taking a discount to stay with this team. He should have taken a max contract and told the oilers to take a walk. Maybe the lack of cap space would have forced Chiarelli to actually work on building a team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Peter Chiarelli. Discuss! ;)

Seriously though, I've not been a big fan of PC for a long time. I think he have done a very poor job in EDM and this is another example of it.

With that said, I don't believe the Lucic contract will turn out as bad as it seems. A little retention is no biggie. Take back something maybe. Something could be worked out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This will be trashed like everything else, maybe it should be, but I actually don't think its that bad:

Mats Zuccarello
Brendan Smith
Tony DeAngelo

for

Milan Lucic, 1.5m retained
Jesse Puljujärvi

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We've seen this song and dance before on the Oilers and I don't think the answer is that Lucic is a bad player. Dubnyk and Schultz were also horrible players who had no hope in the NHL anymore, but it turned out that playing on a bad team just makes you look like a bad player. I believe that is going on with Lucic now. It's also going on with Klefbom, Talbot, and many others on the team, and the fact that many players on the team are all of a sudden are bad, after being so good last season, should tell you that this is a team problem, not a problem of individuals.

And yes, part of this snowballing effect is that players lose motivation compared to players who are playing on contenders, and that gives the appearance of laziness or lack of effort. That is exactly what happened with Yakupov and Schultz. If Oiler fans really want the Oilers to be a winner, they should be wanting the players we have to turn it around, and not just dumping off any player who is under performing.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Please show me evidence where any person within the Oilers organization has said they wanted to trade Lucic... even show me where a reputable reporter has stated that a trusted resource has heard anything of the kind. The main factor for a columnist making this assumption is the Oilers are the only team, of the 4 teams those players are playing on, that are underperforming.

Typical fake internet news and Social media ****e sensationalism. Here’s a tip for you.... don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

EDIT: Disclaimer — I am in no way defending the Lucic contract, only pointing out that the fans of certain other teams should not be in here pointing their hypocritical finger.

Jesus, are you related to Lucic? Tell him I think he's trash

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Hell no lmao. Easier to get rid of that contract than finding a C like Drai.. you should know that, considering NYR were able to dump Gomez's contract on you guys for their #1 D-man.

As the Habs I wouldn't do that deal. I rather not get stuffed with a $6m bullshit contract. Yes I would absolutely love a C like Drai, everyone knows we need it but he's gonna get a $8-10$m deal... we would destroy our teams salary space since we already have Price for $10.5m, Weber $8m... then adding Lucic? Sheesh! Better find someone else to help you clear your cap space. I rather Keep Drouin and trade Max for picks/Prospects and draft out way to a C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad