The Offseason Thread (Previously Retool vs Rebuild)

Rebuild or Retool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I was firmly team retool but now I'I'm about 60/40. A successful retool would be more fun as a fan but things would have to really fall our way. On the off chance Jones lands some "right now" pieces then I'm open to trying to stay good but otherwise try to really stock the cupboards.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Jarmo in his stint as GM has acquired Jones, Panarin, PLD, and Duchene. None wanted to stay with the team for different reasons. Jarmo's got to be thinking, "even if I get good players, they won't want to stay."

Reactions: CPTN71

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So if you trade Jones and decide to rebuild, what do you with Domi. He has 1 more year as well. Trade him this Summer? Keep him and deal him at the deadline? Keep him, if he plays well, try to extend him by the deadline?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
So if you trade Jones and decide to rebuild, what do you with Domi. He has 1 more year as well. Trade him this Summer? Keep him and deal him at the deadline? Keep him, if he plays well, try to extend him by the deadline?

id be looking at the market for both he and Laine. We need as many ping pong balls as possible for 2022.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Leave it up to Cam. He's one of the guys that supports the city and I think he wants to be here.

Edit: Also, you can and will keep guys that can still fit during a rebuild. That includes guys like Texier, Bemstrom and Bjorkstrand.

Same here. Atkinson must stay

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Honestly, unless Jones commited right away to signing a team friendly deal, I think the Bluejackets should be exploring trade options already. While Jones is a fantastic player, the Bluejackets already have a good defense...with or without Jones. They need Centers in order to compete. Two top6 Centers ideally. So if you can land a franchise Center or two real top6 Centers for Jones, that would be something worth considering because it could actually improve the team.

On the other side, if Jones wants to stay and there's no other way to land top Centers, the Bluejackets should consider a rebuild. They should also consider a rebuild if the best offers for Jones consist of mostly picks and prospects that aren't close from being impact players in the NHL.

So I really think that much depends on Jones. If they have to trade him, the return must include either high picks, top Centers or future top Centers. The Bluejackets need Centers...no matter if they opt for a rebuild or a retool.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Buffalo also tried to forcibly tank. Therefore, f*** tanking.

I don’t see it as forcing a tank. We have lost some of our best players. We are not a playoff team. Time to reconstruct. Cap is flat. Let’s not add big contracts. Let’s be smart and get low cost players like picks and prospects and be ready to play the free agency game after the market resets and we find the right player(s) available. That might be after next season.

So 3-4 years until we are maybe competing again?

Yes, but we can at least enjoy watching young kids develop instead of aging veterans miss the playoffs before we are competitive.

We have three guys that we need to decide on. Werenski depends on Werenski. Domi and Laine are another category. Let’s let that play out - too early to decide now. If we get a great offer, that is one thing. But I expect a better return at the deadline than now. And maybe they are willing to go through a rebuild. We could use the name recognition of Laine. Maybe we get a nationally televised game against the Jets. Boone and Nyquist are both trade deadline guys in my opinion. And maybe bring in a couple of low cost free agents on short contracts that could be trade deadline guys.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Cowumbus

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Anyone with any sort of value needs traded. Domi, Z, Laine, Gus. It don't matter, blow it up and get every ping pong ball possible.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We have three guys that we need to decide on. Werenski depends on Werenski. Domi and Laine are another category. Let’s let that play out - too early to decide now. If we get a great offer, that is one thing. But I expect a better return at the deadline than now. And maybe they are willing to go through a rebuild. We could use the name recognition of Laine. Maybe we get a nationally televised game against the Jets. Boone and Nyquist are both trade deadline guys in my opinion. And maybe bring in a couple of low cost free agents on short contracts that could be trade deadline guys.

I'm not sure we need Laine for name recognition. A game against the Jets? I'm usually in sync with your pov's but on these two you sound like a "Jackets are only one player away" guy. :huh:

Why do you think the return for Laine & Domi would be greater at the trade deadline? Any draft picks we would get would be non-lottery. And no one is giving up a roster player then. Maybe a prospect. But if they both have disappointing seasons again there goes their value.Of course their value could increase if they both improve. If they have trade value now and there is a good offer made I say take it. Same with Boone & Nyquist. If a rebuild is the path taken then lets get started.

Reactions: Toe Pick and CPTN71

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anyone with any sort of value needs traded. Domi, Z, Laine, Gus. It don't matter, blow it up and get every ping pong ball possible.
I reiterate: f*** tanking. Do that and the team might as well be folded. I've explained why this is bad half a billion times and yet people still keep clinging to it as though it's a solution rather than a suicide pact.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don’t see it as forcing a tank. We have lost some of our best players. We are not a playoff team. Time to reconstruct. Cap is flat. Let’s not add big contracts. Let’s be smart and get low cost players like picks and prospects and be ready to play the free agency game after the market resets and we find the right player(s) available. That might be after next season.
If we're not doing the "throw out absolutely everybody" garbage, that's a sane approach. Not a fun one, but a reasonable one that doesn't forcibly condemn us to a decadeplus of misery. It's the "trade everybody for anything NOW NOW NOW" stuff that is foregoing the foot to shoot yourelf in the head.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I reiterate: f*** tanking. Do that and the team might as well be folded. I've explained why this is bad half a billion times and yet people still keep clinging to it as though it's a solution rather than a suicide pact.

If we're not doing the "throw out absolutely everybody" garbage, that's a sane approach. Not a fun one, but a reasonable one that doesn't forcibly condemn us to a decadeplus of misery. It's the "trade everybody for anything NOW NOW NOW" stuff that is foregoing the foot to shoot yourelf in the head.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a 100% turnover of the roster. I think most of the rebuild advocates are suggesting that no one should be considered an untouchable. Me I'd put Bjorkstrand in that camp & Zach if he extends. Other than those two anyone can be traded if the return is good.

And as far as tanking goes I see nothing wrong with resting guys towards the end of the season when all hope is lost.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

I'm not talking about tanking, I am talking about asset management. It it has become apparent that no star wants to come to Columbus, or stay in Columbus. So are only way to build aw team is through the draft and acquiring prospects. Its a sh***y place to be in, but that is where we are. Maybe it is an ownership problem. If it is, McConnell needs to sell. I know he wants to keep it for his dad, but I think Mr. Mac would rather the team be successful with new ownership rather than just stay stagnant under his son.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not talking about tanking, I am talking about asset management. It it has become apparent that no star wants to come to Columbus, or stay in Columbus. So are only way to build aw team is through the draft and acquiring prospects. Its a sh***y place to be in, but that is where we are. Maybe it is an ownership problem. If it is, McConnell needs to sell. I know he wants to keep it for his dad, but I think Mr. Mac would rather the team be successful with new ownership rather than just stay stagnant under his son.
If the bolded is true, then not even the draft can save us. See: PLD.

Therefore the only thing to be done is proceed under the hypothesis that the bolded is not actually absolutely true. Because otherwise the team has no chance and we might as well fold the franchise because Damnation By The Hockey Gods cannot be overcome. And yeah, I was on that ledge last night, but after sleeping on it, my position on the matter is "f*** you, Hockey Gods; if you want us to give up, come here and force us out yourselves rather than acting through proxies."

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad